British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   4th July (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/4th-july-861065/)

Canveydave Jul 1st 2015 11:57 am

4th July

It's our first Independence Day in the US this weekend. What do expats usually do on the 4th July??!?

Should we get swept up in it all, wear our USA T-Shirts, watch the fireworks, drink beer and eat hot dogs? Or should we be a little more circumspect.

The old UK patriot in me see's it as some sort of day of mourning for us British!

rpjs Jul 1st 2015 12:16 pm

Re: 4th July

I like fireworks, I like hotdogs, I like beer. What's not to like?

I feel the Americans haven't done too badly for themselves, these last two hundred and something years, so I'm happy to help them celebrate.

Actually, this year I shall be flying in on the evening of 4th July, so I'm hoping to get some nice views of fireworks as we approach NYC.

steveq Jul 1st 2015 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Canveydave (Post 11689405)
The old UK patriot in me see's it as some sort of day of mourning for us British!

I've made a point, to my colleagues intense amusement, of deciding to work on the day off.

Garbatellamike Jul 1st 2015 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by steveq (Post 11689427)
I've made a point, to my colleagues intense amusement, of deciding to work on the day off.

Good plan than take the 5th as a holiday and tell them that it is a traditional British celebration for getting shot of them :sneaky:

Guindalf Jul 1st 2015 1:14 pm

I was once asked...

"Do they have July 4th in England?"

I replied...

"Sure, it's right between the 3rd and 5th"!!

Yorkieabroad Jul 1st 2015 1:46 pm

We normally have a few friends over for a barbie and fireworks. Last year it was pointed out that all of the guests were brits and that our kids were the only natural USC's attending!! We still managed to have a good time, and set off a truckload of fireworks.

This year the kids are not happy that we are in Taiwan for the 4th....Based on recent reports, hot dogs could mean something totally different here, so not sure what we'll be eating:lol: I've looked in vain for something "appropriate" to do with them, but nothing showing so we'll be visiting family in the country and hoping for fireworks there - given where we are, I'm sure it won't take long to unearth some that will go fizz-bang and generate the appropriate oohs and aaahs.........

rpjs Jul 1st 2015 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 11689463)
I was once asked...

"Do they have July 4th in England?"

I replied...

"Sure, it's right between the 3rd and 5th"!!

I usually say it's our Thanksgiving Day!

fozzyb Jul 1st 2015 1:59 pm

Just view it as a celebration of getting rid of the worst tax dodgers in our empire...

hungryhorace Jul 1st 2015 2:18 pm

It's our first Independence Day in the US this weekend. What do expats usually do on the 4th July??!?

Nothing, other than sneer at the ridiculous amount of flags everywhere and comment how 'tacky' it is.

At least, that's what I do.

sir_eccles Jul 1st 2015 2:39 pm

Enjoy it for what it is, a federal holiday where if you asked ten locals what it was all about they would give you twelve answers (see also confusion over veterans day and memorial day etc).

Most Americans just enjoy the day off without considering the why.

Nutmegger Jul 1st 2015 2:45 pm

What do expats usually do on the 4th July??!?

Just enjoy the party! For many years I was invited to a 4th barbecue at my friend's parents' house -- and even though her mother was DAR, there was never any mention of how the holiday originated; it was just about great food and wine, good music, and a nice time enjoying a summer evening with friends.

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 1st 2015 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 11689523)
Nothing, other than sneer at the ridiculous amount of flags everywhere and comment how 'tacky' it is.

At least, that's what I do.

Flags and the amount of them is not unique to the US, should see what some people do for Canada Day which is today, flags, people dressing in red and white, wigs of the same color, paint the flag on their face etc.

I work so I do nothing on these holidays, they are just a pain since so many places are closed making life difficult for a day.

hungryhorace Jul 1st 2015 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11689548)
Flags and the amount of them is not unique to the US, should see what some people do for Canada Day which is today, flags, people dressing in red and white, wigs of the same color, paint the flag on their face etc.

I've only visited Canada once, so I'm in no position to speak, but surely Canada doesn't embrace the grotesque mass outpouring of 'patriotism' like America does? I thought they sneered at it as well?

Nutmegger Jul 1st 2015 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 11689555)
I've only visited Canada once, so I'm in no position to speak, but surely Canada doesn't embrace the grotesque mass outpouring of 'patriotism' like America does? I thought they sneered at it as well?

You mean like all the people who congregate on the streets to wave Union Jacks, cheer, and carry on in honour of royal events in the UK?

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 1st 2015 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 11689555)

Canada is no better, they just call in Canadian Pride, but today is no different then the 4th in the US, but instead of red/white/blue you just see red and white.

Depending where you are, you will see flags, flags painted on faces, people wearing flag hats, shirts that look like flags, and so on.

There is even a picture on my FB of a dog wearing a flag hate.

Then of course the various media videos asking people what makes them proud to be Canadian.

It's just a different day with a different meaning behind it, but make no mistake Canadian's are just as patriotic.

The government even has a web domain and website dedicated to Canada Day.