British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   2020 Election (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/2020-election-919243/)

Ingles Dec 4th 2019 12:56 pm

Re: 2020 Election

Guess who said :- Politicians can't manage ,all they do is talk ?

+ They can't think forward - :thumbsup:
https://dailysoundandfury.com/dem-ca...m_campaign=tti

nain rouge Dec 5th 2019 1:44 am

Originally Posted by dc koop (Post 12772946)
I thought the North imposed a naval blockade on southern ports. If the South could not get cotton through to European markets how did British arms manage to get through to the Confederate forces? Anyway if you want to assume that history would have been changed by the absence of British aid... it wouldn't. France would have supplied the Confederacy with all the aid they needed instead.

The North ATTEMPTED to impose a naval blockade on the South (which should have just been called "closing the ports") but with the southern coastline being well over a thousand miles long the blockade was very leaky, very ineffective. Your premise that the south could not get cotton to European ports was not correct - in the first couple of years of the war, much Southern cotton got thru to Europe, and a great deal of European military goods entered the South. As Southern ports such as New Orleans and Mobile fell to Union forces over time the blockade became gradually more effective, slowly strangling off incoming supplies. Also, over time Union forces reconquered regions that produced cotton, cutting off supply right at the source, in the actual cotton fields.

I never made any assertion that "history would have been changed" by the absence of British aid to the South. Eventually, the North would have won the war in any case. The only historical change would have been that, in the absence of British aid, the war might have been shortened by 6 months, 12 months, etc., and countless thousands of Union soldiers would not have been killed by bullets, muskets, and cannons manufactured in the UK. Yes, some war materiel did come in from France, but only a small fraction of what came in from Britain, which was the industrial powerhouse of Europe.

nain rouge Dec 5th 2019 2:11 am

Originally Posted by dc koop (Post 12772950)
I think the battle of Bull Run began to give the North a clue that it was going to be no easy victory. The southern soldiers were incredibly adept at warfare and in the use of firearms. They like many other armies faced with invasion of their lands fought with a determination to defend it at all costs. Add to that they had a brilliant leader in Robert E Lee.

Actually, both soldiers in the North and South eventually became good at their jobs, despite what 150 years of southern propaganda/ media hype wants us to believe. The southern boys were no more adept at it initially than the northern ones. The South had the advantage of fighting a defensive campaign, while the North had to go on the offense and reconquer territory. It is much easier to stay inside your defenses and shoot down unprotected attackers. As the lessons of Viet Nam and Northern Ireland will tell us, a defending force doesn't have to win, it just must avoid losing completely (the same strategy that George Washington used in the 1770's).

As far as Robert E. Lee, he is another beneficiary of Southern propaganda. He betrayed the uniform he wore to attack the country he swore to defend. Now, if he did not want to fight, he could have resigned his commission and spent the war at his plantation, or spent the war years quietly in Europe. He didn't. He is very lucky not to have been hung as a traitor after the war. As far as being a brilliant military leader, he was very good on the battlefield when the bullets were flying, making quick decisions, but he was extremely poor at strategy. (In contrast, Sherman was a mediocre battlefield general but a brilliant strategist.) I suspect as a chess player Lee could not think more than two moves ahead. After a year or two of defensive victories his head swelled and he became so arrogant as to assume that he could not be defeated under any condition. Whereupon he committed the immense blunder of attacking at Gettysburg, the results of which essentially destroyed his army's offensive capability for good.

UkWinds5353 Dec 5th 2019 3:57 am

Trump is destroying the American reputation in the world. European leaders are literally laughing at Trump for being a troglodyte. Even I felt sorry for Trump today for being out of his depth. Trump makes our European allies want to argue with him in news conferences for the world to see. You have to be a buffoon to make your best friends want to laugh at and mock you. When Boris Johnson laughs at you it's time to take stock of your life. Because Boris use to be clown number one but Trump now holds that title. I looked at Trump's face today when he called the Canadian Prime minister "two faced" and I swear Trump looked so hurt and destroyed. And immediately after that moment Donald canceled his last two news conferences and took his ball and left the field of play...…

You can not make this stuff up.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 5th 2019 4:46 am

Canada - do you mean black faced?

Giantaxe Dec 5th 2019 4:49 am

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12774256)
Trump is destroying the American reputation in the world. European leaders are literally laughing at Trump for being a troglodyte. Even I felt sorry for Trump today for being out of his depth. Trump makes our European allies want to argue with him in news conferences for the world to see. You have to be a buffoon to make your best friends want to laugh at and mock you. When Boris Johnson laughs at you it's time to take stock of your life. Because Boris use to be clown number one but Trump now holds that title. I looked at Trump's face today when he called the Canadian Prime minister "two faced" and I swear Trump looked so hurt and destroyed. And immediately after that moment Donald canceled his last two news conferences and took his ball and left the field of play...…

Trump's right that the world isn't laughing at the US... the world is laughing at him.

dc koop Dec 5th 2019 5:02 am

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12773718)
I agree with you that Hispanics don't vote as solidly Democrat as African Americans and for good reason. Hispanics are not a single group with a shared history in America like African Americans. The closest group to that similarity is Jewish and Muslim voters. But Trump seem to be trying to turn Republican Hispanics into Democrats or Independents by caging Hispanic children. I will not repeat what I've been told by Hispanic Independent voters about Trump, but safe to say it was memorable and scary. I will say that Hispanics don't vote at the same numbers of African American voters but they are a large block of voters.

Trump is killing the Republican party's ability to do outreach and it is generational. All it takes is a horrible party leader and that can cause a large group of voters to switch their support to a different party. It has happened several times in history. Hispanic voters in California were once more evenly split between the two major parties but after the then governor Pete Wilson created laws against the Mexican American community, that killed Republican support among that ethnicity group in that state. Younger voters of every demographic tend to be more progressive in their thinking. You can't appeal to these young people by hating gays, minorities and just about everyone on the planet like Trump does. But hey, maybe you're right, maybe they and all these other groups will break with current trendlines from 2018 and 2019 elections and support Trump. I don't see it happening but you could be right. I will say that young Cubans that normally support Republicans in south Florida are not happy with Trump and I think that is a canary in the coal mine indication.

I've already said that Trump cannot leave his stamp on the GOP. He is a passing figure in the history of politics and ideas and strategies will continue to evolve in the years ahead. The Democrats got a lot of mileage out of the children in cages bit. You are ignoring the reason why it came about. Asylum seekers with children were allowed to freely enter the country after appearing before a judge to fix a hearing date on their application for asylum. The law stated that no adults with children could be detained.. How many do you think failed to show up for their hearing? In short the whole thing was a farce and I doubt any other western country had rules as lax as that. The other racket of course and this also applies to the Chinese as well as Hispanics is the child born here of either illegals or people here on visitors visas which automatically entitles the newborn to US citizenship. This is of course part of citizenship by birth right under the law but by any other name it's a form of abuse. These US born children once granted residence visas can in a few year sponsor their parents under the law. However I think Trump is wrong in not granting amnesty to the dreamers but the sensible thing to do would be to change the law so that any child born here must have a parent who is already a US citizen or permanent legal resident.

dc koop Dec 5th 2019 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 12774264)
Trump's right that the world isn't laughing at the US... the world is laughing at him.

Trump's not a politician in the sense that he served in any government office before. He shoots from the hip when speaking, tells it like it is. It's unusual to other leaders but so far,no matter the way he said it
some of what he has said is the truth especially about the NATO alliance. Merkel and Macron may not like being criticized for failing to pay their fair share of cost towards defence and I can understand that after 70 years of being defended by the US on the cheap this sudden demand to put more into it must have come as something of an unwelcome surprise.

I agree with his remarks on Schiff. Even if Schiff has some legal grounds to push for impeachment he's still a slimy, creepy human being. Has anyone else noticed how his eyes suddenly start to pop when he speaks as if someone has suddenly goosed him from behind?

dc koop Dec 5th 2019 6:08 am

Originally Posted by nain rouge (Post 12774240)
Actually, both soldiers in the North and South eventually became good at their jobs, despite what 150 years of southern propaganda/ media hype wants us to believe. The southern boys were no more adept at it initially than the northern ones. The South had the advantage of fighting a defensive campaign, while the North had to go on the offense and reconquer territory. It is much easier to stay inside your defenses and shoot down unprotected attackers. As the lessons of Viet Nam and Northern Ireland will tell us, a defending force doesn't have to win, it just must avoid losing completely (the same strategy that George Washington used in the 1770's).

As far as Robert E. Lee, he is another beneficiary of Southern propaganda. He betrayed the uniform he wore to attack the country he swore to defend. Now, if he did not want to fight, he could have resigned his commission and spent the war at his plantation, or spent the war years quietly in Europe. He didn't. He is very lucky not to have been hung as a traitor after the war. As far as being a brilliant military leader, he was very good on the battlefield when the bullets were flying, making quick decisions, but he was extremely poor at strategy. (In contrast, Sherman was a mediocre battlefield general but a brilliant strategist.) I suspect as a chess player Lee could not think more than two moves ahead. After a year or two of defensive victories his head swelled and he became so arrogant as to assume that he could not be defeated under any condition. Whereupon he committed the immense blunder of attacking at Gettysburg, the results of which essentially destroyed his army's offensive capability for good.

That is a very good post. Obviously you're a student of the civil war. Even if the Confederates were receiving aid from Britain the North was industrialized by that time while the South was not. Lee declined Lincoln's offer to lead the Union armies when the war started as he believed that his loyalty must lie with his State Virginia, slaves and all. I visited his pre-civil war home in Arlington a few years back. The North turned his land into a cemetery for their war dead. There was a story I read about Lee's advance into Pennsylvania just before the battle of Gettysburg. Apparently according to the author one of his intentions before the battle started was to seize a nearby shoe factory as half his army was bare foot. The civil war was an indication in some ways as to how future wars would be fought. Barbed wire, the Gatling machine gun. trenches and Sherman's march across the south was an effective way to cripple the Confederacy's ability to continue the war by destroying everything along the way a tactic later used with great effect by the Red Armies during their retreat from the Germans in the early years of WW2

Ingles Dec 5th 2019 9:36 am

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12774256)

He now knows that his constant BS & lies will no longer work when he's out side the USA
The International Press owe him nothing , & if he starts on them ,they will "rip him" in shreds just for the fun off it !
If the GOP would only be honest with them selves, they would be better off ,but as they collectively have sold there souls to the devil, sod em !
The USA is Governed by a fool & con man !

The reason he threw a "big girl fit"
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9233191.html

please note :- No insult intended to the valuable female posters on this thread

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 5th 2019 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Ingles (Post 12774345)
He now knows that his constant BS & lies will no longer work when he's out side the USA
The International Press owe him nothing , & if he starts on them ,they will "rip him" in shreds just for the fun off it !
If the GOP would only be honest with them selves, they would be better off ,but as they collectively have sold there souls to the devil, sod em !

And those who are not valuable.

Please be inclusive.

dc koop Dec 5th 2019 8:08 pm

Who gives a **** about the International press? They're all fake news lefty liars anyway. Remember Trump is the man who has access to the football. Nobody else has power like that

civilservant Dec 5th 2019 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by dc koop (Post 12774604)
Who gives a **** about the International press? They're all fake news lefty liars anyway. Remember Trump is the man who has access to the football. Nobody else has power like that

Oh the US us the only nuclear power now? I didn't get that memo.

Anyway it's not the guy with 100,000 nukes that I'm worried about. It's the guy with one that will start a nuclear exchange.

UkWinds5353 Dec 6th 2019 4:41 am

:goodpost:

UkWinds5353 Dec 6th 2019 4:52 am

Originally Posted by dc koop (Post 12774604)

The American voter gave Trump what power he has and can take it away. But again I think Trump's racist and bias attacks against women and minorities will be his undoing in 2020.

George W. Bush was smart enough to know you don't want to motivate and anger your opposition. Trump is a slow learner.