2020 Election

Old Nov 21st 2019, 9:39 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by dc koop
The other issue of course is his sexual orientation. I've been in California long enough to learn a little about Hispanics. The great majority are Catholic and believe in the teachings of that church which kind of places him in a negative light among that group perhaps even among African Americans for that matter.
This is questionable.
I know a lot of Catholics, in fact a couple of good friends from university days are very senior apparatchiks in Rome. I’d say a lot of Catholics are very liberal, and barely pay lip service to church teachings that don’t fit with their worldview.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 1:22 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

That's rather a strange attitude. When you see what must be thousands of Catholics from all over the world packed in like sardines to see the Pope when he appears in public could be representative of the fact that the greatest majority of Catholics worldwide do believe and follow his teachings. Of course I may be failing to take into account that "American independence of thought" that makes them take a different attitude. Anyway I look at it from the point of view of a university student who decides to leave a class because he or she does not believe in the Professor's approach and method of teaching the major he or she is studying... why waste anymore time on it? Just walk away !
Why go to the huge effort of walking away, when you don't have any skin in the game of actual religious beliefs?
For most Catholics it is a cultural trait, who walks away from a culture?
Most people get culture and religion from family, core values can change with life experience, but our core cultural identity usually stays with us for life. Most Catholics don't care what the Pope says, they form their own values, whilst still retaining a cultural respect for the Pope.
I am an Atheist, but I still see that culturally I still have Catholic traits.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 4:44 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Why go to the huge effort of walking away, when you don't have any skin in the game of actual religious beliefs?
For most Catholics it is a cultural trait, who walks away from a culture?
Most people get culture and religion from family, core values can change with life experience, but our core cultural identity usually stays with us for life. Most Catholics don't care what the Pope says, they form their own values, whilst still retaining a cultural respect for the Pope.
I am an Atheist, but I still see that culturally I still have Catholic traits.
I walked away long ago. Some would call me a lapsed Catholic. Never went once to confession, attended a Catholic church probably half a dozen times. A Certificate of Baptism says I'm a Catholic but I'm not a Catholic. To pretend to be one would be sheer hypocrisy. To be accurate I am an Agnostic in my way of belief and thought although if the urge to pray to a deity who may or may not exist ever occurred I would have no problem walking into any church of any denomination even a Synagogue for it's all a matter of seeking the same deity who again may or may not exist

Last edited by dc koop; Nov 21st 2019 at 4:47 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 4:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Biden looked a bit wobbly, maybe because he has just found out he has a grandchild?
Old Nov 21st 2019, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

How do they reconcile their views with that of the Pope their spiritual leader and guide?
I think you might be surprised how liberal the American Catholic church is these days compared to Evangelicals, one of reasons the Bishops more supportive of the current Pope than the immediate predecessors.

Old Nov 21st 2019, 5:50 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

I really wish the media would stop trying to make Klobuchar a thing. Klobuchar is never going to be a thing. Her ultimate "No we can't!" message just isn't going to win many supporters regardless of how much the media try and help her.

Joe Biden is slightly different with his "This is America, we can do anything! Except pass any meaningful progressive legislation. Also did he forget that Kamala Harris was Black, female or a Senator? Either way it wasn't a good look. He would get destroyed by Trump, but he still some how keeps his high ratings in the polls.

Mayo Pete was his usual weaselly self of sounding very erudite and above the fray, but not actually saying anything of substance. I did notice that Tulsi Gabbard got under his skin a little at the end when directly quoting something he said about sending troops to Mexico and he tried to spin it as something different.

Kamala finally got in her attack on Tulsi Gabbard only about three months after Tulsi attacked her.

Liz was rather anonymous.

Booker was good again, but again it won't make a difference in the polls.

Yang was an interesting contrast to some of the other candidates, with a different perspective on some issues, and he also had some good humour.

Bernie was good, talked about changing foreign policy in a good way and humanizing Palestinians which no-one else did. Strong on climate change and the urgency required. He even talked about himself and his life, which I think will help him with a certain section of the voters.

Steyer was there.

The moderators and their questions were terrible as usual.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Why do they need to? I'd wager that the biggest moral issue for many American Catholics at the moment is child sexual abuse by priests.

https://www.americamagazine.org/fait...rtion-and-lgbt

I'm married to an American Catholic. She gives very little store to the pope's views.
My g/f is nominally Catholic (I'm Agnostic). She likes to go to church on occasion ... I can see it gives her comfort, and is a cultural thing. She thinks the church hierarchy is totally hopeless and is very much supportive of her gay nephew. I would have said, she thinks the pope is hopeless but she does like the latest one more than the others.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 10:45 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
she thinks the pope is hopeless but she does like the latest one more than the others.
My late friend said he didn't like Pope Benedict because "I get nervous every time I see a German on a balcony."

Old Nov 22nd 2019, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
Liz was rather anonymous.
Based on past experience, this may just translate to 'Warren did the best' !
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Biden looked a bit wobbly, maybe because he has just found out he has a grandchild?
Trump looks even wobblier , because He& The GOP just found out he's a cheating , lying , money & pussy grabbing ,avoiding paying due tax's , racist pig.
Oh by the way , all the above is Fake News & a conspiracy made up be the Democrats.
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 3:04 pm
Account Closed

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/tv-...es-1203411983/

According to data measured by Nielsen, the cable-news outlet’s telecast captured just 6.5 million viewers overall and a little more than 1.67 million among viewers between 25 and 54, the demographic coveted most by advertisers in news content. The totals would make the event one of the least-watched in the recent cycle of five Democratic debates that have been offered by the Democratic National Committee in 2019.
​​​​​​​So that explains the lack of comments, hardly anybody watched it.
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

​​​​​​​So that explains the lack of comments, hardly anybody watched it.
I think people are a bit tired of politics right now with the Trump bribery case on tv every week day for the last few weeks.
Plus Fox News has been telling people not to watch it because they have realised that people actually like the things that the Democrats have been saying and don't want to give them ideas. Harder to control the narrative if the audience is actually informed and engaged. For the same reason they have been telling their audience not to watch the bribery witnesses, claiming it is boring and about nothing, when really they don't want people to see how every witness is confirming that Trump was committing bribery.
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 3:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Anian
I think people are a bit tired of politics right now with the Trump bribery case on tv every week day for the last few weeks.
Plus Fox News has been telling people not to watch it because they have realised that people actually like the things that the Democrats have been saying and don't want to give them ideas. Harder to control the narrative if the audience is actually informed and engaged. For the same reason they have been telling their audience not to watch the bribery witnesses, claiming it is boring and about nothing, when really they don't want people to see how every witness is confirming that Trump was committing bribery.
Interesting, I do not watch Fox and was unaware of this,

Never occurred to me that so many who would be interested in watching the Dem debates do watch Fox and would be so influenced by them.
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Interesting, I do not watch Fox and was unaware of this,

Never occurred to me that so many who would be interested in watching the Dem debates do watch Fox and would be so influenced by them.
I would think the intersection of Fox News watchers and Democratic Debate watchers is practically zero.
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 3:55 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I would think the intersection of Fox News watchers and Democratic Debate watchers is practically zero.
Yeah but sometimes people aren't complete assholes but they live with an asshole who has FOX news blaring all day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.