2020 Election

Old Nov 21st 2019, 12:29 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
My step family is Hispanic and Catholic and they support gay marriage and rights, and one is gay and still goes to church openly gay, nobody cares except maybe the most hardcore religious ones.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 2:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anybody watch the debate?
Old Nov 21st 2019, 3:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Anybody watch the debate?
Did you?
Old Nov 21st 2019, 3:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Watching now.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 3:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Watching now.
Then share an opinion.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 4:07 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
The majority of Latinx support gay marriage. 56% in favor, 38% against. (2015 Pew data, I suspect higher number now)
You may be speaking from presuppositions rather than real experience?
​​​​​
The percentages might be accurate where you live up in the liberal Bay Area but the Latinos I know and have known in this part of California are of the older generation either having lived here for many years or American born, many still believers in the customs and ways of the old country, mostly Democrats and Biden supporters

Last edited by dc koop; Nov 21st 2019 at 4:34 am.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 4:19 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Some actual facts. It's evangelicals, not Catholics that are clearly anti same-sex marriage. By race, Hispanics support it at lower rates than whites, but not hugely so:

https://www.pewforum.org/fact-sheet/...-gay-marriage/
Has the Vatican yet recognized gay marriage and are Catholics today going in the same direction as they were in using birth control pills? I'm not a church goer, nor particularly religious so I'm out of touch

My neighbor is a Pastor at a local non-denominational Christian church. They have five kids and the greatest people to have as neighbours in the world. No drugs in that family

Last edited by dc koop; Nov 21st 2019 at 4:42 am.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 4:38 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
My step family is Hispanic and Catholic and they support gay marriage and rights, and one is gay and still goes to church openly gay, nobody cares except maybe the most hardcore religious ones.
How do they reconcile their views with that of the Pope their spiritual leader and guide?
Old Nov 21st 2019, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dc koop
How do they reconcile their views with that of the Pope their spiritual leader and guide?
Why do they need to? I'd wager that the biggest moral issue for many American Catholics at the moment is child sexual abuse by priests.

https://www.americamagazine.org/fait...rtion-and-lgbt

I'm married to an American Catholic. She gives very little store to the pope's views.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 4:57 am
Banned

Why do they need to? I'd wager that the biggest moral issue for many American Catholics at the moment is child sexual abuse by priests.

https://www.americamagazine.org/fait...rtion-and-lgbt

I'm married to an American Catholic. She gives very little store to the pope's views.
Why don't they need to and what is it about the Catholic faith that still appeals to your wife?
Old Nov 21st 2019, 5:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why don't they need to and what is it about the Catholic faith that still appeals to your wife?
I already gave you my answer to the first part so I'll put it more bluntly. Why would someone want to take moral guidance from a church with a sordid recent record of kiddie fiddling?

People define their faith in many different ways. I don't think you have to believe the Pope is infallible to be a Catholic.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Nov 21st 2019 at 5:10 am.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 5:22 am
Banned

I already gave you my answer to the first part so I'll put it more bluntly. Why would someone want to take moral guidance from a church with a sordid recent record of kiddie fiddling?

People define their faith in many different ways. I don't think you have to believe the Pope is infallible to be a Catholic.
So what's keeping you then? My grandfather was born into the Dutch Reformed Church. He lost faith in it and left. For most of his life he never went to any church but in his twilight years became a Baptist. You can always switch.... no bolt of lightning is going to descend from the heavens ! Jeezuz ! LOL
Old Nov 21st 2019, 5:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So what's keeping you then? My grandfather was born into the Dutch Reformed Church. He lost faith in it and left. For most of his life he never went to any church but in his twilight years became a Baptist. You can always switch.... no bolt of lightning is going to descend from the heavens ! Jeezuz ! LOL
Maybe peoples' faith is a little less black and white than you are suggesting? I certainly don't see that you have to take moral guidance from the pope to be a Catholic, nor do most US Catholics.

Personally, I have little or no time for organized religion.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 6:06 am
Banned

Maybe peoples' faith is a little less black and white than you are suggesting? I certainly don't see that you have to take moral guidance from the pope to be a Catholic, nor do most US Catholics.

Personally, I have little or no time for organized religion.
That's rather a strange attitude. When you see what must be thousands of Catholics from all over the world packed in like sardines to see the Pope when he appears in public could be representative of the fact that the greatest majority of Catholics worldwide do believe and follow his teachings. Of course I may be failing to take into account that "American independence of thought" that makes them take a different attitude. Anyway I look at it from the point of view of a university student who decides to leave a class because he or she does not believe in the Professor's approach and method of teaching the major he or she is studying... why waste anymore time on it? Just walk away !

Old Nov 21st 2019, 7:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

You would have to ask them, they know I am not religious and they don't discuss their religious view with me, so I have no idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.