2020 Election

Old Dec 5th 2018, 2:12 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Please take your disagreement to PM. Thanks
Unprovoked labeling someone as a "racist bigot" is tolerable on this forum as long as it's moved to a PM? OK.

Also, guys, I get you really, really don't like Trump. I actually agree with you... to some degree. Still, nominating a equally divisive "us vs. them" partisan like Harris, Booker, Waters or (shivers) Warren is not going to result in a Trump defeat. Their ideas and approach just aren't that popular.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 2:18 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Unprovoked labeling someone as a "racist bigot" is tolerable on this forum as long as it's moved to a PM? OK.

Also, guys, I get you really, really don't like Trump. I actually agree with you... to some degree. Still, nominating a equally divisive "us vs. them" partisan like Harris, Booker, Waters or (shivers) Warren is not going to result in a Trump defeat. Their ideas and approach just aren't that popular.
In today's world of rampant tribalism, what Democrat do you think doesn't meet that criteria? I like him, but I don't want to see someone like Biden who doesn't seem to stand for all that much, other than being 'Not Trump' - if Dems try that then many people may go for Trump again simply because he's a known quantity.

I really think the Dems need to put up a radical alternative. Not Warren or Sanders, but someone with genuine cross appeal like O'Rourke. I am not a fan boy, and am not sure he'd win the nomination, but I do think he should run.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 2:30 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
In today's world of rampant tribalism, what Democrat do you think doesn't meet that criteria? I like him, but I don't want to see someone like Biden who doesn't seem to stand for all that much, other than being 'Not Trump' - if Dems try that then many people may go for Trump again simply because he's a known quantity.

I really think the Dems need to put up a radical alternative. Not Warren or Sanders, but someone with genuine cross appeal like O'Rourke. I am not a fan boy, and am not sure he'd win the nomination, but I do think he should run.
I think a middle of the road, eloquent Democrat would absolutely destroy Trump. Over the next year, the Dems need to find that person if they want to win. I don't think Nancy Pelosi is going to be helpful in this regard.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 2:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it possible for a middle of the road, eloquent Democrat to be nominated?
Old Dec 5th 2018, 4:55 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

O’Rourke is the only one who could come close to fulfilling that brief at the moment. Two years is a long time in politics though.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 5:01 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
O’Rourke is the only one who could come close to fulfilling that brief at the moment. Two years is a long time in politics though.
It seems that the national media is propelling his relevance right now. Despite the loss to Cruz, the profiles and articles keep coming. Obama hasn't done much before running for President (at a national level at least, of course he was a Senator) so it can be done. He needs to continue to be relevant I agree, but there's a danger in that. The longer he stays vocal the longer he is a target for Trump.

I think Trump thinks he can beat anyone... I hope he's wrong.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 5:31 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get caught in the trap of thinking that the media or the pollsters have any earthly idea at this point.

Some to watch that the media hasn't been fawning all over (not that I'm endorsing backing anybody at this point) ...

Michael Bloomberg
Bill de Blasio
Sherrod Brown
Mitch Landrieu
Julian Castro
Rahm Emanuel

Non-Democrats who could run as Independents or Republican primary challengers :
Mark Cuban
John Kasich
Jeff Flake
Mitt Romney

There are a few others but I despise them so much I refuse to acknowledge their existence.

Let the games begin.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 5:33 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I think a middle of the road, eloquent Democrat would absolutely destroy Trump. Over the next year, the Dems need to find that person if they want to win. I don't think Nancy Pelosi is going to be helpful in this regard.
It's not Nancy Pelosi's job but thanks for the gratuitous mention.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 5:39 pm
WTF?

Again with the gratuitous nonsense. Waters has never shown any interest whatsoever in running. Next you'll be throwing Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez into the mix just to complete the right-wing trifecta of fear and loathing.

Otherwise, I don't like any of the people you've listed for POTUS and think there are a lot more interesting and talented prospects.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 5:41 pm
Often not so civil...

Next you'll be throwing Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez into the mix just to complete the right-wing trifecta of fear and loathing.
She's not old enough and cannot run. Article II, Section 1.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 5:48 pm
WTF?

She's not old enough and cannot run. Article II, Section 1.
That won't deter the FOX news brigade from trying to terrify their viewers with the prospect.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 5:52 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It seems that the national media is propelling his relevance right now. Despite the loss to Cruz, the profiles and articles keep coming. Obama hasn't done much before running for President (at a national level at least, of course he was a Senator) so it can be done. He needs to continue to be relevant I agree, but there's a danger in that. The longer he stays vocal the longer he is a target for Trump.

I think Trump thinks he can beat anyone... I hope he's wrong.
The loss to Cruz seemed to be factored in and the senate race seemed more like a springboard to the Democratic nomination for 2020. Trump's chances will rest largely on the performance of the economy. If the economy continues to boom then it'll be hard to touch him. If there's a recession and the Democrats can put up a moderate and eloquent candidate like O'Rourke then Trump will be on the ropes.

Originally Posted by Leslie
Don't get caught in the trap of thinking that the media or the pollsters have any earthly idea at this point.

Some to watch that the media hasn't been fawning all over (not that I'm endorsing backing anybody at this point) ...

Michael Bloomberg
Bill de Blasio
Sherrod Brown
Mitch Landrieu
Julian Castro
Rahm Emanuel

Non-Democrats who could run as Independents or Republican primary challengers :
Mark Cuban
John Kasich
Jeff Flake
Mitt Romney

There are a few others but I despise them so much I refuse to acknowledge their existence.

Let the games begin.
Certainly still plenty of time for a dark horse to emerge but none of those names are particularly inspiring.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 5:56 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by BritInParis

Certainly still plenty of time for a dark horse to emerge but none of those names are particularly inspiring.
I don't disagree at all --- I'm just listing people that sound like they're going to throw their hat in. Other than Beto, nobody else mentioned so far has been particularly inspiring either, IMHO.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 5:59 pm
WTF?

Oh and Beto will definitely have to up his game. He's not ready for a national election at this point ... not even close. He has potential though and raw talent.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 6:13 pm

I don't disagree at all --- I'm just listing people that sound like they're going to throw their hat in. Other than Beto, nobody else mentioned so far has been particularly inspiring either, IMHO.
Oh and Beto will definitely have to up his game. He's not ready for a national election at this point ... not even close. He has potential though and raw talent.

Agreed. He could be the real deal but equally a couple of gaffs and he's toast. The Democratic Party will also need to rally behind him and not split like they did over Clinton and Sanders. Speaking of Clinton and Sanders they need to stay at home. It beggars belief that they're both mulling another run.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.