2020 Election

Old Jun 29th 2019, 5:43 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

I believe that is the only way it could work, but doesn't that undercut the whole point? Would the premium be sufficient to cover the program expenses? Isn't this just exposing Medicare to the sickest people that can't/won't get insurance elsewhere?

The questions are nearly endless as to how this would actually work.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
"I am black and I am proud of it.'

If that's playing the "African American Card" then... ok. Sounds like it's the other side that would like to play that card against her.

She's very impressive. Not ready to vote for her yet, but she is one of about five that I would be fine with as the Democratic candidate. As for baggage, the biggest thing that will be held against her is that when she was San Francisco's DA, she declined to press for the death penalty in a case where a police officer was murdered. The murderer got life without possibility of parole. It was a hugely controversial moment with Dianne Feinstein denouncing the decision at the police officer's funeral.
But perhaps being a prosecutor may help with some moderate republicans ... the above mentioned death penalty case notwithstanding ...
Old Jun 29th 2019, 5:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Pretty sure the version that is being proposed does not require somebody to be able to afford to buy in.

Medicare is something that most people to get at least the basic version as an entitlement.

I thought the Castro bit about M4A covering abortions for males was a bit odd.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
So that's perhaps the best reason why 'medicare for all' needs to be an exclusive system, and private insurance has to be all-but eliminated. If the primary payment method for M4A is going to be taxation on income, then it will have to be paid by everyone which would be an issue with private insurance. So the only way my 'preferred' M4A' solution would work (opt-in) would be to have M4A participants below the age of 65 pay a premium just like an insurance premium. Would that work?

Over 65 - Medicare provided 'for free' by govt. (no change)
Under 65 choosing to 'opt in' to Medicare - pay a fee to the govt to cover the cost
Under 65 choosing to stay with private insurance - pay a premium to an insurance company (or get the premium paid by the employer).

In other words, you can't provide 'M4A' through taxation. I'm perfectly OK with that but would it work?
Presumably it could work just like the ACA works:- pay a premium to "opt in" to Medicare and provide subsidies for those on lower incomes.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Would she qualify for Reparations? I assume not.
Boiler - you are a piece of work!

What on earth is the relevance of reparations? That is so far 'out there' as to be ridiculous. What if she did qualify? What if she didn't? You are just trying to keep alive a narrative that is not relevant.
I know enough to be slightly taken back when she went after Biden when her own past has so many issues.
You were really taken aback? You, for whom " I certainly do not know the full extent" is a regular expression? You really think she has 'so many issues'? You are playing games.

ETA: seems like a lot of people don't quite see 'so many issues' - https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...debate-1390512

Last edited by Steerpike; Jun 29th 2019 at 7:36 pm.
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Presumably it could work just like the ACA works:- pay a premium to "opt in" to Medicare and provide subsidies for those on lower incomes.
How does that work when you are including the Undocumented?
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Boiler - you are a piece of work!

What on earth is the relevance of reparations? That is so far 'out there' as to be ridiculous. What if she did qualify? What if she didn't? You are just trying to keep alive a narrative that is not relevant.

You were really taken aback? You, for whom " I certainly do not know the full extent" is a regular expression? You really think she has 'so many issues'? You are playing games.
He's our resident troll.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 5:58 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

What on earth is the relevance of reparations?
I think the point he's trying to insinuate is that she is not African American but is trying to co-opt their history.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by civilservant
I think the point he's trying to insinuate is that she is not African American but is trying to co-opt their history.
It's pretty transparent where this line is coming from. Of course, "independent" Boiler is choosing to run with it:

"What a weird coincidence that a group of accounts, starting with Ali, decided to tweet the exact same thing (verbatim) about Kamala Harris within minutes of each other tonight. "

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/28/u...la-harris.html

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jun 29th 2019 at 6:06 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How does that work when you are including the Undocumented?
The ACA provides premium assistance in the form of tax credits. So if the 'undocumented' in question are paying taxes, presumably that's how it would work.

Are you asking this to bring up the issue of whether or not the undocumented will get state-subsidized healthcare? Search Engine Optimization techniques, perhaps - throw all the keywords into a post and it will show up in google searches?

Last edited by Steerpike; Jun 29th 2019 at 7:37 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by civilservant
I see. Her father was Jamaican and her mother was Indian. So she's clearly of 'African' descent on her father's side, which means she shares the same 'origins' as 'African Americans'. If her father is a black jamaican, one would presume his history includes being a descendent of slaves at some point - how else did his family end up in Jamaica?

Amazing that this would be a topic of discussion.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

The ACA provides premium assistance in the form of tax credits. So if the 'undocumented' in question are paying taxes, presumably that's how it would work.

Are you asking this to bring up the issue of whether or not the undocumented will get state-subsidized healthcare? Search Engine Optimization techniques, perhaps - throw all the keywords into a post and it will show up in google searches?
That is not what they said, and tax credits are very little help to somebody not paying taxes or are very little in the way of taxes. Normally in that situation you would be on Medicaid not Medicare.

Old Jun 29th 2019, 9:25 pm
Account Closed

I see. Her father was Jamaican and her mother was Indian. So she's clearly of 'African' descent on her father's side, which means she shares the same 'origins' as 'African Americans'. If her father is a black jamaican, one would presume his history includes being a descendent of slaves at some point - how else did his family end up in Jamaica?

Amazing that this would be a topic of discussion.
Well we all go back to Africa if you want to go far enough, but she certainly did not make clear that her Parents were not African Americans but PHD's at Berkeley, many people who saw that could come away with a very different view and I would not blame them.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well we all go back to Africa if you want to go far enough, but she certainly did not make clear that her Parents were not African Americans but PHD's at Berkeley, many people who saw that could come away with a very different view and I would not blame them.
There you go again - 'parents were not African Americans but PHDs at Berkeley'. How about, 'parents were not African Americans but Jamaicans and Indians'? Basic logical sentence structure ...

And by the way ... despite what you might think, you can actually be both African American AND a PHD at Berkeley ...

How hard is it to read up on her background? I knew she was the daughter of a Jamaican / Indian family 6 months ago. She's not hiding the fact.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That is not what they said, and tax credits are very little help to somebody not paying taxes or are very little in the way of taxes. Normally in that situation you would be on Medicaid not Medicare.
I'm telling you how subsides work with the ACA. You brought up 'undocumented'. I would imagine the 'undocumented' and those 'poor enough to be not paying taxes' are going to be in the same situation. So what's the relevance of 'undocumented' in this context, other than to try to keep that false narrative going?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.