2020 Election

Old Dec 1st 2020, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Just out of curiosity, how do they handle people who can't (easily) make it to a polling place (disabled, elderly, etc)?
Since it's mandatory, it gets the full whack of accessibility options. Polling places have accessibility ratings, but under relevant circumstances you can bring a helper, vote from a car outside, postal vote, vote over the phone (vision impaired), etc. I have only ever dealt with grandparents with limited mobility, so can't vouch for how well it all really works in practice, but it is about as stark a contrast to the US as I can possibly imagine.
Old Dec 1st 2020, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
It's a thing called "electoral fusion". It was created in NYS to break the power of the old-school political machines like Tammany Hall. In a nutshell, any candidate for office in NYS can be cross-nominated by as many political parties that have qualified to appear on the ballot as care to. The actual election is decided by the total number of votes for each individual, but the total number of votes cast for each party decides whether or not they appear on the ballot next election, and where (i.e. how high up the ballot paper).

Typically the left-wing Working Families Party cross nominate the Democratic candidates and the right-wing Independence and Conservative Parties cross-nominate the Republican candidates. But these smaller parties can and sometimes do nominate their own people for some races, and don't necessarily map directly to the mainstream party that you'd expect. For instance, a very conservative Democrat might not get cross-nominated by Working Families, and might even get cross-nominated by the Conservatives. It's a useful way for those knowledgeable about the system to know where candidates are located on the political spectrum.

This year we both voted for Biden/Harris and most of the down-ballot Democrats on the Working Families Party line, to ensure the WFP stays on the ballot (Governor Cuomo has been trying to get them off the ballot as they refused to cross-nominate him a couple of gubernatorial elections ago. Last time, he even managed to spin up an astro-turfed "Women's Equality Party" to undermine the WFP.)
So one candidate can be voted for (once only) in multiple places? I could vote for (eg) Stefanik under 'party line A' or under 'party line B'? And it has no other impact other than where that 'party' shows up next time around? What is the difference between WFP staying on the ballot or not, if the candidates are already covered elsewhere? How odd! Yet another example of how states really do do things differently (from each other) in the US!
Old Dec 1st 2020, 12:27 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

So one candidate can be voted for (once only) in multiple places? I could vote for (eg) Stefanik under 'party line A' or under 'party line B'? And it has no other impact other than where that 'party' shows up next time around? What is the difference between WFP staying on the ballot or not, if the candidates are already covered elsewhere? How odd! Yet another example of how states really do do things differently (from each other) in the US!
The argument is that the WFP can say to a candidate, for governor, president, US house member, etc., “if you want to be endorsed by our party and listed on our line, we want you to commit more unambiguously to such-and-such a policy that you are now waffling on.” (Or whatever.) So in theory, the WFP can try to push dem candidates to the left, the Independence Party can try to push Republican candidates to the right. However, in practice, candidates have more clout than the minor parties. In the past, Governor Cuomo has said to the WFP, “You want to endorse me so the WFP remains relevant? Go ahead, but I’m not going to adopt any of the policy changes you want from me...”

My wife always voted Democrat, I always voted WFP. This election I finally convinced her to vote on the WFP line, I think. (She won’t actually tell me.) I think the WFP is effective in places like NYC with candidate selection. Up here, in a profoundly Republican district, their presence is pretty meaningless. But the WFP need a certain number of votes across the state to retain their official status as a party.
Old Dec 1st 2020, 12:34 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Here’s a part of our absentee ballot. (I didn’t use it because I voted in person.)
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 12:36 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Voter fraud in Georgia election is revealed.

Bill Price, a Florida lawyer, registered to vote in Georgia illegally, at the residential address of his brother. Apparently, he encouraged other republicans to do the same thing.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/politics/...POTZKVMO5ESJQ/

Old Dec 3rd 2020, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Voter fraud in Georgia election is revealed.

Bill Price, a Florida lawyer, registered to vote in Georgia illegally, at the residential address of his brother. Apparently, he encouraged other republicans to do the same thing.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/politics/...POTZKVMO5ESJQ/
The hypocrisy is not surprising. Hope they charge the jerk and he is disbarred.
Old Dec 4th 2020, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

It seems that Trump will almost certainly run again in 2024, and will almost certainly win the Republican nomination (he will be younger four years from now than Biden is right now, after all).

Then if he loses again he will quite likely run in 2028, at age 82.

Democrats better hope they have a solid, centrist candidate both times. Hate to say it, but if the Dem candidate is a woman, latent or unconscious sexism could reactivate as a factor and be enough to swing the needle toward Trump.

Another Politico article: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...blicans-442728
Old Dec 4th 2020, 5:22 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by HDWill
It seems that Trump will almost certainly run again in 2024, and will almost certainly win the Republican nomination (he will be younger four years from now than Biden is right now, after all).

Then if he loses again he will quite likely run in 2028, at age 82
It could happen, but I think it’s pretty unlikely. Assuming he’s still alive, I think his health status - mental and physical - in four (well, three) years time will mean that he will not be seen as a viable candidate for 2024. To be taken seriously, you need to be able to walk & talk and appear able and vigorous. Obviously, Biden and Trump both passed that test for 2020. Trump in 2023/24? I doubt it.
Old Dec 4th 2020, 5:28 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I don't follow that at all! Elise Stefanik is described as a 'Republican', so what is the relevance of (eg) 'Conservative' (or 'Independence Party') in this context? Is this something unique to NY? This is what the Senate and House sections of my ballot (AZ) looked like:

That is very sloppy voting, you haven't colored neatly between the lines.
Old Dec 4th 2020, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

It could happen, but I think it’s pretty unlikely. Assuming he’s still alive, I think his health status - mental and physical - in four (well, three) years time will mean that he will not be seen as a viable candidate for 2024. To be taken seriously, you need to be able to walk & talk and appear able and vigorous. Obviously, Biden and Trump both passed that test for 2020. Trump in 2023/24? I doubt it.
But "A" Trump could most certainly run - perhaps Don Jr ?

Harris would be the heir apparent, I would think, but since she failed miserably in her first attempt at the nomination, it's not clear she would prevail. She was my original choice, but whether she's mainstream enough is a valid question. I preferred her from an 'idealistic' perspective, but having watched this election really closely, I do feel now the dems need to field a 'moderate' candidate again, like Biden, but one with greater energy. None of the current / recent batch jump to mind, and if they don't get the selection right, they will likely lose. I still think Bloomberg could have been a good candidate, but he messed up royally by starting out too late. Anyway, he's going to 'age out' anyway so not a contender.
Old Dec 4th 2020, 5:55 pm
Heading for Poppyland

But "A" Trump could most certainly run - perhaps Don Jr ?

Harris would be the heir apparent, I would think, but since she failed miserably in her first attempt at the nomination, it's not clear she would prevail. She was my original choice, but whether she's mainstream enough is a valid question. I preferred her from an 'idealistic' perspective, but having watched this election really closely, I do feel now the dems need to field a 'moderate' candidate again, like Biden, but one with greater energy. None of the current / recent batch jump to mind, and if they don't get the selection right, they will likely lose. I still think Bloomberg could have been a good candidate, but he messed up royally by starting out too late. Anyway, he's going to 'age out' anyway so not a contender.
Yeah, agreed, much more likely, another Trump might run. That’s a different story.

My original choice for 2020 was Harris, too. As for 2024, anything might happen between now and then. If Biden chooses not to seek a second term, by the we’d all know whether Harris was a good fit or not.
Old Dec 6th 2020, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HDWill

Then if he loses again he will quite likely run in 2028, at age 82.

Democrats better hope they have a solid, centrist candidate both times. Hate to say it, but if the Dem candidate is a woman, latent or unconscious sexism could reactivate as a factor and be enough to swing the needle toward Trump.

Another Politico article: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...blicans-442728
Democrats should make sure all of Trump's scams and cons are brought to court. NY AG already has a lawsuit against the Trump organization.
Old Dec 6th 2020, 5:48 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, agreed, much more likely, another Trump might run. That’s a different story.
Unless they're all living in exile in Russia with Yanukovich and Snowden by then.
Old Dec 6th 2020, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Rudy has covid. Wonder what legal eagle will handle those farcical lawsuits if he is out of service.
Old Dec 7th 2020, 12:53 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Another one of the 'crack' legal team can no doubt take over in his stead,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.