2020 Election

Old Nov 29th 2020, 5:31 am
  #5776  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
dakota44's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 26,660
dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post

Oh come on. You know I'm just funnin.
dakota44 is offline  
Old Nov 29th 2020, 5:32 am
  #5777  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,097
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
Oh come on. You know I'm just funnin.
Course I know, otherwise it would have been this
spouse of scouse is offline  
Old Nov 29th 2020, 5:41 am
  #5778  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
dakota44's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 26,660
dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Course I know, otherwise it would have been this
no doubt.
dakota44 is offline  
Old Nov 29th 2020, 6:01 am
  #5779  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,081
retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
The images on the net look like run of the mill hotdogs
No no no, not a hotdog. It's a sausage sizzle! You get a (grilled) sausage in bread with tomato sauce. Fancy people might hit the onions, but it's generally about simplicity. It's a cheap as piss way to get people into the spirit of something: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sausage_sizzle

And mandatory showing up on voting day is not to be sneezed at. Throwing your vote away should be something you have to opt into, not the default.
retzie is offline  
Old Nov 30th 2020, 6:39 am
  #5780  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Steerpike's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA / Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 9,984
Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
In New York, there’s yet an additional complexity - eight different political parties. So, for instance, if I’d wanted to vote for Elise Stefanik for US Congress, I could have voted for her under the Republican, Conservative, or Independence Party lines. These three have to be tabulated separately, as the location on the ballot in the next election is dependent on how well each party performed in this election. Same for the Democratic vs. Working Families parties.

So a heck of a lot more complex than a UK general election, in which the votes can be quickly sorted into 3 or 4 piles, then each pile counted.
I don't follow that at all! Elise Stefanik is described as a 'Republican', so what is the relevance of (eg) 'Conservative' (or 'Independence Party') in this context? Is this something unique to NY? This is what the Senate and House sections of my ballot (AZ) looked like:


Steerpike is offline  
Old Nov 30th 2020, 6:48 am
  #5781  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Steerpike's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA / Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 9,984
Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by retzie View Post
No no no, not a hotdog. It's a sausage sizzle! You get a (grilled) sausage in bread with tomato sauce. Fancy people might hit the onions, but it's generally about simplicity. It's a cheap as piss way to get people into the spirit of something: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sausage_sizzle

And mandatory showing up on voting day is not to be sneezed at. Throwing your vote away should be something you have to opt into, not the default.
Just out of curiosity, how do they handle people who can't (easily) make it to a polling place (disabled, elderly, etc)?
Steerpike is offline  
Old Nov 30th 2020, 6:22 pm
  #5782  
BE Forum Addict
 
rpjs's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Sleepy Hollow, New York
Posts: 2,524
rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
I don't follow that at all! Elise Stefanik is described as a 'Republican', so what is the relevance of (eg) 'Conservative' (or 'Independence Party') in this context? Is this something unique to NY? This is what the Senate and House sections of my ballot (AZ) looked like:
It's a thing called "electoral fusion". It was created in NYS to break the power of the old-school political machines like Tammany Hall. In a nutshell, any candidate for office in NYS can be cross-nominated by as many political parties that have qualified to appear on the ballot as care to. The actual election is decided by the total number of votes for each individual, but the total number of votes cast for each party decides whether or not they appear on the ballot next election, and where (i.e. how high up the ballot paper).

Typically the left-wing Working Families Party cross nominate the Democratic candidates and the right-wing Independence and Conservative Parties cross-nominate the Republican candidates. But these smaller parties can and sometimes do nominate their own people for some races, and don't necessarily map directly to the mainstream party that you'd expect. For instance, a very conservative Democrat might not get cross-nominated by Working Families, and might even get cross-nominated by the Conservatives. It's a useful way for those knowledgeable about the system to know where candidates are located on the political spectrum.

This year we both voted for Biden/Harris and most of the down-ballot Democrats on the Working Families Party line, to ensure the WFP stays on the ballot (Governor Cuomo has been trying to get them off the ballot as they refused to cross-nominate him a couple of gubernatorial elections ago. Last time, he even managed to spin up an astro-turfed "Women's Equality Party" to undermine the WFP.)

Last edited by rpjs; Nov 30th 2020 at 7:53 pm. Reason: typo
rpjs is offline  
Old Nov 30th 2020, 11:23 pm
  #5783  
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina and Oliver
Posts: 14,417
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

"Arizona and Wisconsin are the last contested battleground states to make their presidential election results official."
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...alflow-organic
caretaker is offline  
Old Nov 30th 2020, 11:32 pm
  #5784  
Fair and balanced
 
kimilseung's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 15,642
kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
"Arizona and Wisconsin are the last contested battleground states to make their presidential election results official."
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...alflow-organic
Which makes this Arizona "hearing" (“unsanctioned unofficial circus sideshow") that is ongoing now, all the more entertaining.
https://www.pscp.tv/w/1djxXqjdlWvKZ
kimilseung is offline  
Old Nov 30th 2020, 11:59 pm
  #5785  
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina and Oliver
Posts: 14,417
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Which makes this Arizona "hearing" (“unsanctioned unofficial circus sideshow") that is ongoing now, all the more entertaining.
https://www.pscp.tv/w/1djxXqjdlWvKZ
Whoot! The comments spinning up the side are priceless!
caretaker is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2020, 12:03 am
  #5786  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,985
Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Whoot! The comments spinning up the side are priceless!
Lack of masks is priceless too...

Haha and now the clown prince is calling in. Priceless!
Giantaxe is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2020, 12:08 am
  #5787  
Fair and balanced
 
kimilseung's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 15,642
kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
Lack of masks is priceless too...

Haha and now the clown prince is calling in. Priceless!
"...strong lawyers, with great facts..."
kimilseung is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2020, 12:54 am
  #5788  
BE Forum Addict
 
yellowroom's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Was Virginia, now Yorkshire.
Posts: 2,146
yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

yellowroom is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2020, 3:00 am
  #5789  
Heading for Poppyland
 
robin1234's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: North Norfolk and northern New York State
Posts: 11,817
robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
I don't follow that at all! Elise Stefanik is described as a 'Republican', so what is the relevance of (eg) 'Conservative' (or 'Independence Party') in this context? Is this something unique to NY? This is what the Senate and House sections of my ballot (AZ) looked like:
Originally Posted by rpjs View Post
It's a thing called "electoral fusion". It was created in NYS to break the power of the old-school political machines like Tammany Hall. In a nutshell, any candidate for office in NYS can be cross-nominated by as many political parties that have qualified to appear on the ballot as care to. The actual election is decided by the total number of votes for each individual, but the total number of votes cast for each party decides whether or not they appear on the ballot next election, and where (i.e. how high up the ballot paper).

Typically the left-wing Working Families Party cross nominate the Democratic candidates and the right-wing Independence and Conservative Parties cross-nominate the Republican candidates. But these smaller parties can and sometimes do nominate their own people for some races, and don't necessarily map directly to the mainstream party that you'd expect. For instance, a very conservative Democrat might not get cross-nominated by Working Families, and might even get cross-nominated by the Conservatives. It's a useful way for those knowledgeable about the system to know where candidates are located on the political spectrum.

This year we both voted for Biden/Harris and most of the down-ballot Democrats on the Working Families Party line, to ensure the WFP stays on the ballot (Governor Cuomo has been trying to get them off the ballot as they refused to cross-nominate him a couple of gubernatorial elections ago. Last time, he even managed to spin up an astro-turfed "Women's Equality Party" to undermine the WFP.)
I’ve never voted the Democratic Party party line. I’ve always voted WFP for the main candidates (President, Governor, US Representative etc ..) But various state and local offices I always pick and choose according to local information or people I know personally or whatever.

I don’t think it’s quite true that the WFP is always left of the Dems. Here, I’ve seen Republican candidates for local office endorsed by the WFP on occasion.
robin1234 is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2020, 3:13 am
  #5790  
Crazy Cat Lady
 
moneypenny20's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 65,191
moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by yellowroom View Post
It's a wonder Trump hasn't picked up more votes with witnesses like that helping him.....
moneypenny20 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.