2020 Election

Old Jun 23rd 2019, 2:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2020 Election

https://historynewsnetwork.org/article/164713

This was just a few years ago, Obama on Reparations and as far as I am aware was not an issue. Now of course Reparations is an issue, many of the contenders have come out in favour. I expect it to be a debate issue in the build up to 2020. How it is done, who benefits etc etc, there is a lot to discuss.

Historically Trump was a Dem supporter, maybe in different circumstances he would have gone that route, bit like Bernie he is Dem candidate as a matter of practicality.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a timely article about how the Democrats could put defeat from the jaws of victory. Nice list of 11 ways to lose the election.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...on-2020-227215

Reparations, M4A, etc. Here's the referenced article by Kaiser Foundation on 'Medicare For All': https://www.kff.org/health-reform/po...-january-2019/

They can still lose this thing, that's for sure!
Old Jun 25th 2019, 4:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Here's a timely article about how the Democrats could put defeat from the jaws of victory. Nice list of 11 ways to lose the election.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...on-2020-227215

Reparations, M4A, etc. Here's the referenced article by Kaiser Foundation on 'Medicare For All': https://www.kff.org/health-reform/po...-january-2019/

They can still lose this thing, that's for sure!
Looked up the Author and he is described as a Conservative.

Seems unlikely Reparations at least will not be an issue of significance, I see Elizabeth Warren has added LGBQTI in addition to Native Americans. I am sure there are many other marginalised groups requiring consideration.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 5:03 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Seems unlikely Reparations at least will not be an issue of significance, I see Elizabeth Warren has added LGBQTI in addition to Native Americans. I am sure there are many other marginalised groups requiring consideration.
I guess I can see the case for AA and NA peoples. I don't think it's practical, but I can see the case. I check out though at the thought of LGB and the like. It's not like we kidnapped them or stole their land.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 5:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by civilservant
I guess I can see the case for AA and NA peoples. I don't think it's practical, but I can see the case. I check out though at the thought of LGB and the like. It's not like we kidnapped them or stole their land.
I think t was something to do with tax credits and not being able to claim tax credits not being married, which raises possibilities for others as well.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 5:31 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Oh boo. When will we get over this victim mentality?

Let's compensate all the people who attended poor performing schools too, since their chance to excel was measurably damaged by the poor level of education offered.

Where will it end?
Old Jun 25th 2019, 5:38 pm
Account Closed

https://www.mic.com/p/elizabeth-warr...enied-18022982

I looked up the issue and comes under the Refund Equality Act, no idea of the source btw.

Does mention one other and the more general commitment to marginalised groups.

In addition to her work alongside Chu and Levin in helping LGBTQ+ couples get refunds, Warren also recently revealed that her housing plans as president would provide reparations for people of color who have been systematically discriminated against in the home buying process. "America needs to face the things we’ve done wrong and take steps towards making it right," Warren tweeted on June 19. It's clear that along with her like-minded peers, the politician is intent on introducing legislation that'll create a more equitable society and correct historical injustices against marginalized groups.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Oh boo. When will we get over this victim mentality?

Let's compensate all the people who attended poor performing schools too, since their chance to excel was measurably damaged by the poor level of education offered.

Where will it end?
That you would trivialize the victims of racial injustice is beyond belief

https://abhmuseum.org/category/lynch...tims-memorial/
Old Jun 25th 2019, 6:39 pm
Account Closed

Those who are the victims of injustice. This is not a competition.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Those who are the victims of injustice. This is not a competition.
Victims that just happened to be Black.

Old Jun 25th 2019, 7:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by johnwoo
Victims that just happened to be Black.
And victims who were not black. Native Americans, Non Black LGBQTI etc.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I think the bigger picture here, and the part that is relevant to the 2020 election and this thread, is that there are all manner of groups that have suffered 'injustices', in one way or another. Racial injustice is just one aspect. If you are gay and missed out on a tax credit, is that an injustice worthy of setting up a formalized, government program to 'address'? Should we extend it to those who lived in poor school districts (not just racial minorities, but financially disadvantaged groups)? It's one thing to acknowledge these issues exist and to take steps to address them (stop them happening in the future); but to retroactively attempt to 'repay' is a "whole 'nother ballgame".

As an aside, what about straight people like me who never married in order to avoid the 'marriage penalty' (taking advantage of the fact that married couples pay more tax than unmarried couples) ... do I need to repay that now?

Racial (and other) injustices are real and should be acknowledged and addressed; but should they be handled by 'reparations' .... ? I think not, and I think it's just election pandering to pretend otherwise.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
And victims who were not black. Native Americans, Non Black LGBQTI etc.
Redlining overwhelming affected African Americans. And, given the importance of property in wealth creation, that had a significant effect on wealth differences between races. Whether you want to or can deal with the legacy of that through reparations is a different question.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 8:23 pm
Often not so civil...

Taking that out of context just a little aren’t we? I already said I could see the case with AA and NA peoples but let’s not let the facts get in the way of your belief!
Old Jun 25th 2019, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Redlining overwhelming affected African Americans. And, given the importance of property in wealth creation, that had a significant effect on wealth differences between races. Whether you want to or can deal with the legacy of that through reparations is a different question.
There was a town near me that when it was incorporated said no Chinese no Irish. The Chinese left the area soon after due to the Chinese Expulsion Act. From what I can gather most of the Chinese impacted were in California so not sure if that should be a State or Federal issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.