2020 Election

Old Nov 4th 2020, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Looks like Arizona is going Biden. Doubtful Trump can catch up now. He would need to get 60% of the remaining votes to catch Biden. He only has 46.7% of the votes already counted. If so, only 32 more electoral votes to win.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 7:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
Looks like Arizona is going Biden. Doubtful Trump can catch up now. He would need to get 60% of the remaining votes to catch Biden. He only has 46.7% of the votes already counted. If so, only 32 more electoral votes to win.
Some media have already called it - https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...lican-democrat
Old Nov 4th 2020, 8:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Some California specific things. (not all are listed, some are close and no obvious winner yet.)

Uber and Lyft and such spent massive sums of money on prop 22, seems to have paid off for them.

Prop- 16 repeals the state ban on affirmative action. Looks like voters have chosen not to bring affirmative action back.

Prop. 17 would restore voting rights to people who finished their prison term, even if they are still on parole. Looks like its going to pass and by a good margin, almost 60%.

Prop. 18 would allow 17-year-olds to vote in primaries and special elections if they will be 18 by the time of the general election. Not looking like it will pass.

Prop. 20 would increase jail time for some theft-related crimes and modify the state’s early release criteria for certain inmates. Not going to pass, A "no" vote will keep the state’s sentencing and release criteria the same. 62.7% have voted no.

Prop. 21 would allow local governments to make residential properties over 15 years old eligible for rent control. 59.6% NO so laws remain the same.

Prop. 23 would change rules at dialysis clinics. The biggest change is that a physician, nurse practitioner or physician assistant must be on-site during dialysis treatment. 64.1% NO

Prop 24 A "yes" vote will implement an expansion of consumer privacy laws. 56.2% YES

Prop. 25 would replace cash bail with a system based on flight risk and a person’s danger to the public. NO 54.9% so looks like the current bail system will remain.

https://www.sfgate.com/politics/arti...s-15696479.php

My voting district is California 50th 71% Juan Vargas-D

It's been basically an uncontested district for the last 3 elections, Republican has been the same person in the last 3 elections, so I don't think the R party even really truly tries in my district.

There was only 1 judge seat on my ballot this year, I'd rather have had the person rated by the bar association as exceptionally qualified win, but seem my fellow voters prefer a lesser qualified candidate.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 4th 2020 at 8:21 am.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Some California specific things. (not all are listed, some are close and no obvious winner yet.)
Prop. 21 would allow local governments to make residential properties over 15 years old eligible for rent control. 59.6% NO so laws remain the same.

Prop. 23 would change rules at dialysis clinics. The biggest change is that a physician, nurse practitioner or physician assistant must be on-site during dialysis treatment. 64.1% NO

Do you have any idea what the logic is behind these two? I don't mean, the logic of the initiative itself, but rather, the reason for putting them on the ballot AGAIN. Both measures appeared last time and were massively defeated. What made the organizers think they'll get a different result this time? It seems madness to keep pushing these same two initiatives when they fail substantially each time.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
One BRIGHT LIGHT in this otherwise dark night - Recreational Marijuana passed by a big margin in Arizona! So I'll be able to have legal weed in both CA and AZ! I suspect that legally I won't be able to cross the border with it, but I doubt that would be an issue driving from CA to AZ on I-10 with a bit! https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...a-legal-434004

1 in 3 Americans now lives in a state where recreational marijuana is legal

Also Mark Kelly has won the Senate seat, defeating incumbent Martha McSally, and it LOOKS LIKE Hiral Tiperneni will be flipping my House district from the Republican David Schweikert.

So AZ has delivered, and I'm glad I registered to vote there. Now it's up to the rest of the country to do likewise ...

Last edited by Steerpike; Nov 4th 2020 at 8:50 am.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 8:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Do you have any idea what the logic is behind these two? I don't mean, the logic of the initiative itself, but rather, the reason for putting them on the ballot AGAIN. Both measures appeared last time and were massively defeated. What made the organizers think they'll get a different result this time? It seems madness to keep pushing these same two initiatives when they fail substantially each time.
I really don't know, I knew the kidney one sounded familiar, I was like wasn't this on the ballot not that many elections ago....

WI has gotten tighter, 89% in. Using the map at NBC

Trump 49.3%
Biden 49%
Old Nov 4th 2020, 9:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
He is definitely a Mussolini. What worries me is that he's emboldened the far right to produce a more competent fascist to replace him.

Nevada, Arizona and Maine would bring another 21 electoral votes, and all 3 look likely. Pennsylvania will likely not be called until tomorrow, there are mail in ballots I think yet to be counted. It could flip. Not sure about Michigan or Wisconsin, both look not great. Will go down to the wire either way.

Wisconsin is super tight, currently narrow lead to Biden...
Old Nov 4th 2020, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I really don't know, I knew the kidney one sounded familiar, I was like wasn't this on the ballot not that many elections ago....

WI has gotten tighter, 89% in. Using the map at NBC

Trump 49.3%
Biden 49%
And Politico are now showing it BLUE! Trump 49.1, Biden 49.4!!!!

They are showing N.C. as Trump 50.1, Biden 48.7 (presumably there's a 3rd pty candidate in there) and GA as Trump 50.5, Biden 48.3.

PA still a long way to go, MI less so.

I guess I'd better go to bed ...
Old Nov 4th 2020, 9:22 am
Account Closed

Looks like Biden about to come through in Michigan....

Wish I could do all the electoral college maths in my head or at least remember who gets how many.

Guardian has Biden at 238, if we add Nevada 6, michigan 16 and Wisconsin 10... That gets him over the line just???

Happy to have my maths corrected...

Last edited by scrubbedexpat096; Nov 4th 2020 at 9:27 am.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 9:34 am
Account Closed

WI is literally going to be every vote matters territory.

Looks to be about a 7,400 vote difference in WI. But by county break down there are a couple Trump counties who still have a ways to go count wise, so the state could swing back to Trump.

Old Nov 4th 2020, 9:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phathamster
Looks like Biden about to come through in Michigan....

Wish I could do all the electoral college maths in my head or at least remember who gets how many.

Guardian has Biden at 238, if we add Nevada 6, michigan 16 and Wisconsin 10... That gets him over the line just???

Happy to have my maths corrected...
That gets him bang on 270 by my calculations………..
Old Nov 4th 2020, 10:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That gets him bang on 270 by my calculations………..
In a morning of number crunching that's enough right? Lol

Nate silver has just popped the same maths up on the 538 blog.

​​​​​​So we could well know at some point soonish (well sooner than when PA finishes counting) that at least on paper Biden has won....
Old Nov 4th 2020, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet Jesus, how can things be so close? If Trump takes this then I really am of the opinion that America deserves all that is coming. Record turnouts, nearly 80% (at the moment) in my county, and all it has shown is that there is more than just a small tight knit fan base for Trump. Perhaps 2+2 really does equal 5...
Old Nov 4th 2020, 10:27 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Sweet Jesus, how can things be so close? If Trump takes this then I really am of the opinion that America deserves all that is coming. Record turnouts, nearly 80% (at the moment) in my county, and all it has shown is that there is more than just a small tight knit fan base for Trump. Perhaps 2+2 really does equal 5...
it certainly looks that way, however it's still entirely possible that Biden could capture Arizona, Nevada, Wisconsin, Georgia, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and unlikely but possible North Carolina.

Which would be far from close in the end. And some have called Arizona and Maine already, Nevada is almost certainly blue

Not enough votes counted yet by any means, and therefore an unclear picture, especially with this foolish projection system combined with larger amounts of mail in voters.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 10:28 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
It's not that different from 2016. It shows a country divided against itself, with the Trump fans more fanatical than ever and the differences more stark than ever. Poor country, what have you done?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.