2020 Election

Old Apr 3rd 2019, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

For anyone brought to the country illegally from anywhere in the world under a certain age?
Or I suppose brought legally and stayed illegally.

Hmmm...Could be popular...

Last edited by Hotscot; Apr 3rd 2019 at 9:50 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
For anyone brought to the country illegally from anywhere in the world under a certain age?
Or I suppose brought legally and stayed illegally.

Hmmm...Could be popular...
Didn't say anything about "brought legally and stayed illegally", but I presume some DACA people may fall into that category (?).

Obama's DACA protections had many other requirements:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferr...ls#Eligibility

According to that article, approx. 1.76m were eligible.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Apr 3rd 2019 at 10:02 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

With those requirements you could be approaching 40 and have some misdemeanors on record....nice...
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

With those requirements you could be approaching 40 and have some misdemeanors on record....nice...
I don't think there's any age restriction for DACA. Looks like 1 "serious" misdemeanor or 3 "non-serious" disqualified you.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Most people don't care about their neighbors next door.
Let alone those on the other side of town. Even less citizens of another country.

Most care about their loved ones, (some) family, and their pets. Human nature.
Lip service is easy though.
I don't care enough to go out volunteering my time, but I do care enough to happily pay taxes and vote for candidates who I think will use those taxes to further my ideals. I would say that's more than 'lip service' (but maybe not a whole lot).

'Those who come here illegally aren't taking any 'space' or 'position in queue' from anyone else trying to get here legally.'

They do take significant resources collectively, and some of them do kill citizens and legal residents. Pretty nasty for someone who has no right to be here in the first place. Just a fact.
Indefensible.
To be clear, I have no support for the actions of (eg) SF who won't turn over known criminals to the feds due to concerns they may be deported. I think the whole 'sanctuary city' thing needs a dose of reality, though I'm not willing to say it's a complete mistake - I just don't know enough about the details.

Whatever your rational they have no right to be here. Agree?
Who 'they' - anyone here illegally, or those who commit crimes? I'm all for kicking out anyone with any kind of criminal record, not for others.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You disagree that those who are here illegally have no right to be here?
Ok...
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 11:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

You disagree that those who are here illegally have no right to be here?
Ok...
I believe there are those who are here illegally who should be allowed to stay, and who should be entitled to services, and have a path to citizenship. This would certainly apply to children born here, and people who have been here 20 years and paid taxes etc.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 12:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I believe there are those who are here illegally who should be allowed to stay, and who should be entitled to services, and have a path to citizenship. This would certainly apply to children born here, and people who have been here 20 years and paid taxes etc.
I liked your VERY complex comment, always good to start with some point we can agree on.

I would imagine that if there was some closure, we are not going to go around and around again, then it would be easy to get a general agreement on the Path to Citizenship.

The problem I see is that there is no closure, not sure there can be.

So if we assume the Path to Citizenship is enacted, what do you do with all those who have been here less than 20 years etc? What do you do those who have yet to come, do you have an ongoing Path to Citizenship? What message does that send?

Old Apr 4th 2019, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

The reality is that the illegals that have been here for many years are probably going to get to stay. How to deal with them now with an eye on how this will prevent future illegals from coming is the problem. The US gave amnesty back in the 80's and it just ended up encouraging more to come. In reality there are not too many disincentives to coming here illegally. All your kids born here are US citizens. Maybe if you get away with being here illegally long enough, you'll get amnesty. I don't have the answers either. This problem is not going away for the first world countries. People in the 3rd world want to instant upgrade to a better country.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Most people don't care about their neighbors next door.
Let alone those on the other side of town. Even less citizens of another country.

Most care about their loved ones, (some) family, and their pets. Human nature.
Lip service is easy though.

'Those who come here illegally aren't taking any 'space' or 'position in queue' from anyone else trying to get here legally.'

They do take significant resources collectively, and some of them do kill citizens and legal residents. Pretty nasty for someone who has no right to be here in the first place. Just a fact.
Indefensible.

Whatever your rational they have no right to be here. Agree?
I am more inclined to think anyone who is not of a Native American tribe perhaps could be considered to have no right to be there. Just sayin...
Old Apr 4th 2019, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
H2a for Fruit Pickers

H2b for meat packers but that may not be seasonal/temporary.

But begs the question why people would want to do those sorts of jobs, hardly the American Dream?
Because they live in fear in the own country & there's very little work , so they will do anything to give there selves & loved ones a chance off a better life.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not one who believes much in Nationalism - lines keep being re-drawn on arbitrary events, like rocking up with a gun when the locals have a knife or spear. Just because we think we are a bit more civilised these days, we think having forms to file will somehow manage the intake. As someone who isn't so keen on taking massive risks that might end-up with spending time in a jail, or being physically shipped away on a plane, I followed the rules, and will continue to do so, but I do at the same time think it is a bit of a folly to assume any legal constructs are going to do much to change the current "problem" with illegal immigration.

The reality is people take huge risks to come to other countries, they do so because they are balancing the life they are leaving vs. the opportunity they might have. Fleeing persecution may well be worth if it if all you get is a fruit picking job in the USA.

I don't have any real answers, because I am acutely aware I am in a very small minority in this country and the UK in believing you have to become far more radical and get much closer to the much maligned concept of open borders. No answer I can come up with is possible without some people feeling some pain, and for that reason, people would entrench and resist and there are not enough people thinking like I do for that to happen.

Basically, building a wall will not solve it. Amnesty will not solve it. Having laws saying it is illegal clearly does not solve it. People have migrated since the beginning of our species, we used to try and curtail some of it using force, but we also promoted it using force. We went to the Moon for shits and giggles, you can't stop people from moving, the answer has to be somewhere in how you embrace it.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 2:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ingles
Because they live in fear in the own country & there's very little work , so they will do anything to give themselves & loved ones a chance off a better life.
I think you missed the point, that may have been the pattern in years gone by, come work in the fields for the season go back.

I know why people come, well in general, the expectation that they want to do the crap jobs and not move on asap is certainly not my experience and can think of no reason why that would be.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...up/3362163002/

Amusingly this came up and this is not working in the fields, it is repairing IPhones etc.

I came across this Company some months ago, there is a guy in NY who repairs Apple stuff and posts videos on YouTube and he basically does not like Apple, there business practices etc and interviewed somebody who worked at this Apple subcontractor. Basically he was interested in the shoddy procedures but the rest of struck me as Immigration related, perhaps somebody at ICE watches his stuff.

Basically a race to the bottom, and there will be tears. BREXIT is a response to a similar issue, well I am sure that these factors are mixed in there.

If anybody has a historical example of when this ended well I would like to know, I can not think of any.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 2:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by robtuck

Basically, building a wall will not solve it. Amnesty will not solve it. Having laws saying it is illegal clearly does not solve it. People have migrated since the beginning of our species, we used to try and curtail some of it using force, but we also promoted it using force. We went to the Moon for shits and giggles, you can't stop people from moving, the answer has to be somewhere in how you embrace it.
People it does not impact or who benefit from it may be happy to embrace it in the main, why would those who are negatively impacted embrace it?
Old Apr 4th 2019, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Haven't you been indoctrinated heard?....It's all good.

Well at least for me and my portfolio.
However the slave labor aspect troubles me.

Perhaps the US could just allow anyone in the world to come here. No limits/barriers.

Good for the GDP. Cheap prices. What's not to like?

Last edited by Hotscot; Apr 4th 2019 at 3:07 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.