2020 Election

Old Oct 30th 2020, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

I was a little disappointed earlier today, Both candidates were campaigning just north of me today and I debated about attending. I fleetingly toyed with the idea of trying to get into a Trump rally before deciding that the combined derp of the orange turd and the crowd would be just too much for my tiny brain to handle.
A Biden drive-in rally though sounded right up my alley, but despite wall-to-wall coverage on local news stations could I find any details on the rally, could I f***. The best I could come up with this morning was 'details to be released' and a link promising further details on Biden's campaign site. Several minutes banging my head in frustration navigating Biden's site, I could find diddly squat.
As I was heading home this evening and mulling over trying again in the hour that I'd have to get ready to go up there, I heard on the radio that it was an invite only affair. Call me old fashioned but what is the point of coming to an area to hold a campaign event and then only inviting diehard party members? Talk about preaching to the converted. Heck, I've done my bit, checked his box both primary and for the general, donated the princely sum of 20 bucks to the cause, where's my bloody invite then?
Old Oct 30th 2020, 2:18 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
I was a little disappointed earlier today, Both candidates were campaigning just north of me today and I debated about attending. I fleetingly toyed with the idea of trying to get into a Trump rally before deciding that the combined derp of the orange turd and the crowd would be just too much for my tiny brain to handle.
A Biden drive-in rally though sounded right up my alley, but despite wall-to-wall coverage on local news stations could I find any details on the rally, could I f***. The best I could come up with this morning was 'details to be released' and a link promising further details on Biden's campaign site. Several minutes banging my head in frustration navigating Biden's site, I could find diddly squat.
As I was heading home this evening and mulling over trying again in the hour that I'd have to get ready to go up there, I heard on the radio that it was an invite only affair. Call me old fashioned but what is the point of coming to an area to hold a campaign event and then only inviting diehard party members? Talk about preaching to the converted. Heck, I've done my bit, checked his box both primary and for the general, donated the princely sum of 20 bucks to the cause, where's my bloody invite then?
Yeah I heard Trump was at RayJay to intimidate voters, but not heard where Biden appeared. Disappointing, Joe
Old Oct 30th 2020, 2:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Federal appeals court has ruled in regards to the ballot deadline in Minnesota. (as of last Friday 578,805 absentee ballots had not yet been received)

The ruling was down party lines.

Judge Bobby Shepherd, an appointee of President George W. Bush, and Judge L. Steven Grasz, appointed by President Donald Trump, formed the majority. Judge Jane Kelly, appointed by President Barack Obama, dissented.

"The 2-1 ruling -- a win for the Republican challengers to the state's plans -- cuts off a weeklong window after Election Day where state officials had planned to receive ballots that had lingered in the mail. The court found the Minnesota secretary of state's accommodation went against a state law that said ballots delivered by mail to elections officials after 8 p.m. on Election Day should be marked late."

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/...-election-day/

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/29/polit...ots/index.html

"We applaud the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals for upholding the integrity of the election and affirming Election Day as November 3rd," - Minnesota Republican Party Chairwoman Jennifer Carnahan

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 30th 2020 at 2:29 am.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
If anyone is curious here is a table that lists the rules by state for mail ballots for 2020.

Do keep in mind due to pending litigation in some states and as lawsuits are decided by judges, this list may not be 100% accurate, appears it was last updated on 10/28

When it comes to when ballots need to be received by, it appears California is the most generous with 17 days after Election Day if postmarked by Election Day.

https://www.ncsl.org/research/electi...-election.aspx

Ballot deadlines for some key states and when ballot counting begins.

Arizona- Election Day by 7pm. 14 days before Election Day

Florida- 7pm on Election Day. 22 days before Election Day

Georgia- Close of polls on Election Day. Upon Receipt of ballot.

Michigan- Close of polls on Election Day. (pending litigation) In cities with population over 25,000, processing may begin the day before Election Day. (2020 only)

Minnesota- 7 days after Election Day if postmarked by Election Day. (pending litigation) Processing upon receipt and envelopes opened fourteen days before Election Day.

North Carolina- 9 days after Election Day if postmarked by Election Day. (pending litigation) Fifth Tuesday before Election Day.

Pennsylvania- 3 days after Election Day if postmarked by Election Day. 7am on election day.

Wisconsin- 8pm on Election Day.
After polls open on Election Day.
You didn't mention Ohio, which is 10 days AFTER election day; Nevada, which is 7 days later, and IA which is 6 days later. Ohio (along with GA and IA) are the three 'undecided' states according to the Economist map (neither lean Dem, nor lean Rep).

https://projects.economist.com/us-20...cast/president

From a 'decision' perspective, it's good to see FL and AZ are 'no delay' states. PA at 3 days is not bad either. I'm all in favor of extending the deadlines due to the virus, but ... 17 days does seem a bit generous and potentially damaging to the process. 7 days seems somewhat reasonable.

^^^^ Interesting, I didn't think Florida counted ballots early so I checked on the status of my ballot , as did my wife, we have both been counted.
Interesting - when I called AZ's info line, a guy told me they didn't start counting till election day even though they 'validated' the ballot (signature check, etc) on receipt. I notice the title of the column is 'processing' and not 'counting', but then the content of some of the columns does suggest actual counting. But I checked my ballot online the other day and it did say 'received and counted'.

This does seem rather silly, but I guess it will make Paulry's assertions that no one goes to Biden's rallies a bit more understandable
Old Oct 30th 2020, 4:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

In normal years, California doesn't allow 17 days, appears normally its 3 days, but they seem to have made some changes for 2020.

This link lists the states based on permanent state laws, the link posted earlier is only for 2020.

https://www.ncsl.org/research/electi...e-ballots.aspx

Old Oct 30th 2020, 6:03 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The legal process to determine whether some of Trump's campaign contributions are legit or not continues. Giuliani's crew of Russian mobsters and Florida Men begins rolling through court, and although prosecutors say this one isn't a cooperation agreement, Rudy probably isn't too happy about it.
"The plea today makes the first conviction to arise from a 2019 indictment brought in the Southern District of New York over an alleged straw-donor scheme to funnel foreign money into U.S. elections through limited liability companies."
https://www.courthousenews.com/flori...-plead-guilty/
Old Oct 30th 2020, 6:19 am
Account Closed

Washington State.

4,869,530 eligible voters in 2020 vs 4,270,270 in 2016

60.8% of ballots returned so far, at this point in 2016 36.8% had been returned.

https://www.sos.wa.gov/elections/res...tatistics.aspx

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 30th 2020 at 6:22 am.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

This rather chilling article suggests our polling is still not where it needs to be. Apparently an interview with the only people who got 2016 right (and who think Trump will win again).

https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...te-2016-433619

‘People Are Going To Be Shocked’: Return of the ‘Shy’ Trump Voter?

Old Oct 30th 2020, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
<Snip>
Interesting - when I called AZ's info line, a guy told me they didn't start counting till election day even though they 'validated' the ballot (signature check, etc) on receipt. I notice the title of the column is 'processing' and not 'counting', but then the content of some of the columns does suggest actual counting. But I checked my ballot online the other day and it did say 'received and counted'.
<Snip?
I also thought that ballot validation is all Florida did until election day. Pre-counting received ballots makes common sense but that isn't generally a factor included in political stuff.

54.97% of the county's registered electorate have turned out and if we assume that people have voted along party lines then the only thing stopping this county going for Trump is if a significant majority of 'other' voters vote blue.

And Walmart does something new...
https://www.wsj.com/articles/walmart...st-11604002136

Old Oct 30th 2020, 12:45 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

This rather chilling article suggests our polling is still not where it needs to be. Apparently an interview with the only people who got 2016 right (and who think Trump will win again).

I am prepared for my view of humanity to take a nose dive, next week.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 12:58 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung

Me too.

The electoral college could easily strike again.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 1:12 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Me too.

The electoral college could easily strike again.
I've been looking for media stories about fluffy kittens and cute puppies. The political stuff is making me nervous so I'm (sort of) avoiding it. Can't begin to imagine how much worse it is for those of you who live there.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

The Trafalgar Group has made a lot of PR noise about their model, and they did indeed predict Trump last time out - but I think, from doing a little bit of reading, they slightly over egged the margin in some of the key States. So while there does seem to be a under counting of Trump support in places like Michigan and Florida, it's not by as much as this lot predict. On the flip side, the South West has the same issue but around the other way, where they miss people who are more likely to vote Democrat.

In both cases it seems to be by not much more than a couple of percentage points. This time around they have it much closer, or Trump just edging Biden in States like Michigan. If their margin of error stands from last time, that actually means Biden would win by 2% in Michigan (just as an example).
Old Oct 30th 2020, 2:08 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I've been looking for media stories about fluffy kittens and cute puppies. The political stuff is making me nervous so I'm (sort of) avoiding it. Can't begin to imagine how much worse it is for those of you who live there.

Some of my latest babies. You're welcome.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 2:10 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I could watch kittens play for hours

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.