2020 Election

Old Oct 18th 2020, 12:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by Steerpike
This is exactly my point - you end up getting a quiet residential area turned into party central, with drunk kids blasting music and then driving home drunk at 4am. This has apparently become worse since Covid-19, where bars / clubs have closed. Get 30 kids together, ask for $10 each, and rent a nice home somewhere for $300/night.

Regarding licensing - I think different countries treat this differently. As an example, Uber in UK towns are treated almost like taxis by the local authorities, while in the US, Uber is much less regulated.

Vancouver just got Uber this year, but there are more licensing here than it seems in the US for Uber and Lyft and the like. Not quite as regulated as taxi's but not too far off.

Need a BC class 4 commercial license
Need a vehicle less than 9 years old with clean title
BC Commercial vehicle inspection
Uber has to maintain insurance as the drivers personal insurance policy doesn't cover Uber rides.
The rates are regulated partially as well, the province has set minimum rates they can charge.
There is a 30 cent drop off/pick up fee in certain areas of the city (congested areas)
Uber/Lyft have to pay something like $150 per vehicle on their platform and each driver has to pay for a business license which I think is $100 per year.

Just to start driving for Uber or the like you need a few hundred bucks just in fees.

It's $4.50 just to get into the Uber in Vancouver before even moving (base fare + booking fee)

It really took a lot for Uber to get into BC, no politician for years wanted to piss off the Taxi cartels, and their votes.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 18th 2020 at 12:33 am.
Old Oct 18th 2020, 1:43 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Your interesting report suggests that Trump raised a lot more (historically, this year to date) but has also spent a lot more to date, and the two sides are now 'close' in terms of 'cash remaining'. So if Biden is now out-raising Trump it would suggest perhaps Biden has a big advantage (in terms of ability to spend on ads over the next month) over Trump? OR, are 'ad buys' for October already pre-purchased from the existing 'spent' pile I wonder?
To be honest I think it matters little for several reasons. In 2016 Clinton raised twice as much as Trump but Trump still won the electoral college with states to spare. I would conclude this was thanks, in part, to the free wall-to-wall coverage of Trump by the media, mostly negative of course, but this played into Trump's pitch of being the only guy would who genuinely take on the establishment. Another significant factor is that the rise and rise of social media means that a relatively small cadre of hardcore supporters can have their message amplify many times louder than in previous elections at no cost to the candidate. Lastly in such a polarised political environment how many genuinely undecided voters are there left to convince who are going be swayed at this stage by campaign ads and go on to cast a ballot come election day?

"Enthusiasm gap' sounds pretty ill-defined; I have very strong opposition to Trump, and relatively little enthusiasm for Biden; but my strong opposition to Trump is practically speaking an equivalence to enthusiasm for Biden, is it not? It's certainly motivating me to vote for Biden.
Depends on whether strong Trump opposition will always translate into strong Biden support. For a lot of people it will do but you only need a few thousand otherwise Democrat voters in swing states not to bother due to their lack of enthusiasm for Biden to significantly aid Trump.
Old Oct 19th 2020, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

received my ballot, filled it out, and submitted it this weekend. One more boring vote for Biden (and Kelly in the Senate). I went online today to check the status. Here's what I had to fill in:

So that's last name, house NUMBER (not street name), DOB, and then ONE of (SSN - last 4; Voter ID; State ID; Drivers License).

The status came back as:

I'll check again in a few days.

I'm posting the details because I think zzrmark commented that anyone could guess at his info; not the case for me (Arizona).
Old Oct 19th 2020, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

^^^ Yeah, that's better. Mine only needed my DOB and name. I'm sure that kind of data can be found on stalker sites such as Whitepages - can't say for sure as it's not something I'm given to doing but if I'm going to pay for a site to give me data on someone else I figure I'd be wanting their DOB and address as the barest minimum.
Old Oct 20th 2020, 1:46 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

So much historical based drama recently has had so much contemporary relevance.not least the Netflix drama The Trial of the Chicago 7. Recommended.
Old Oct 20th 2020, 2:22 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
So much historical based drama recently has had so much contemporary relevance.not least the Netflix drama The Trial of the Chicago 7. Recommended.
Just watched that last night. And yes. The riot scenes, police actions, and the behaviour of the justice system.
Old Oct 20th 2020, 6:31 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The muting of microphones only for the initial 2 minutes of a candidate's response means that there will still be opportunity for Biden to tell Trump to shut up, but now when one of them interrupts it's going to cost them time: (sorry no electrified anal probe)
"Time taken up during any interruptions will be returned to the other candidate."
https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/world/...nses-1.5151993
Old Oct 20th 2020, 3:01 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not really convinced that the rules will change anything. Trump can just yell and Bidens mike will pick it up, and the 9 minute exchanges will just be a repeat of the 1st debate.

It's only morbid fascination that will make me tune in since I've already voted.
Old Oct 20th 2020, 3:42 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I'm not really convinced that the rules will change anything. Trump can just yell and Bidens mike will pick it up, and the 9 minute exchanges will just be a repeat of the 1st debate. It's only morbid fascination that will make me tune in since I've already voted.
If he yells and yells it could mean that via those penalties Biden gets to talk for twice as long, so maybe worth it.
Old Oct 20th 2020, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
The muting of microphones only for the initial 2 minutes of a candidate's response means that there will still be opportunity for Biden to tell Trump to shut up, but now when one of them interrupts it's going to cost them time: (sorry no electrified anal probe)
"Time taken up during any interruptions will be returned to the other candidate."
https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/world/...nses-1.5151993
Originally Posted by civilservant
I'm not really convinced that the rules will change anything. Trump can just yell and Bidens mike will pick it up, and the 9 minute exchanges will just be a repeat of the 1st debate.

It's only morbid fascination that will make me tune in since I've already voted.
Not only will Biden's mic still pick up Trump's voice, but Biden's EARS will still pick up Trump's voice, which means he will still get distracted. Imagine trying to explain some policy position with an angry rude man yelling in your ear! Has the subject of screens come up? For the VP debate, there was a somewhat useless-looking plexiglass sheet, but I haven't heard for this debate.
​​​​​​​
Old Oct 20th 2020, 5:57 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike;12923985[b
]Not only will Biden's mic still pick up Trump's voice[/b], but Biden's EARS will still pick up Trump's voice, which means he will still get distracted. Imagine trying to explain some policy position with an angry rude man yelling in your ear! Has the subject of screens come up? For the VP debate, there was a somewhat useless-looking plexiglass sheet, but I haven't heard for this debate.
Directional mics and filters should eliminate trump almost completely (if they chose - they may think it good TV to keep it), Biden's ears, as you say will not be able to do so.
Old Oct 20th 2020, 5:58 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Not only will Biden's mic still pick up Trump's voice, but Biden's EARS will still pick up Trump's voice, which means he will still get distracted. Imagine trying to explain some policy position with an angry rude man yelling in your ear! Has the subject of screens come up? For the VP debate, there was a somewhat useless-looking plexiglass sheet, but I haven't heard for this debate.
​​​​​​​
I'd insist on greater physical distance between Biden and Trump due to Trump being a known spreader of the virus, who knows what members of his entourage are still infected.
Old Oct 20th 2020, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
I'd insist on greater physical distance between Biden and Trump due to Trump being a known spreader of the virus, who knows what members of his entourage are still infected.
The whole 'family members'/'audience' aspect really needs to be controlled better. Hopefully they'll do some audience shots so we can see if people are complying with the rules or not.
Old Oct 20th 2020, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Directional mics and filters should eliminate trump almost completely (if they chose - they may think it good TV to keep it), Biden's ears, as you say will not be able to do so.
Ear plugs?
Old Oct 21st 2020, 1:56 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

One conduit for Russian disinformation is a former University of Ottawa professor:
"The platform, Global Research, features a Canadian domain name and offers an ever-expanding collection of conspiracy theories"
https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/r...site-1.5767208

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.