2020 Election

Old Oct 14th 2020, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by HDWill
What technicalities does hand delivering a ballot prevent? Does your ballot envelope require a signature, or witness etc? It's true that mailed in ballots received after election day could be contested if there's no visible postmark, but that is easily solved by mailing your ballot at least three business days before election day.
Unless you do return receipt, mailing "at least three business days before election day" is no guarantee that it was received.

Hand carrying also removes the risk of a non visible/poorly visible postmark that I suspect will be part of Trump's legal challenges. And it likely removes the possibility of your ballot being involved in legal attempts to simply stop counting mail in ballots.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 6:33 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Suppose it depends on state, ever seen a California ballot......

This year in my California county isn't too bad, only 22 things or offices to vote on.

US President
House of Representative
Member of State Assembly
Judge of the superior court
County board of education
A community college board of education seat
elementary school district board member x 2
County board of supervistor seat
Props 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25

Took me about 20 minutes to complete referencing my notes I took during my 2 hours of researching everyone and all the props.

We don't get all those props in Illinois Lots of judges though. Lots. And the commissioner of the Water Reclamation District (sewage).
Old Oct 14th 2020, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Did they get all the phony ballot drop boxes in California picked up, and are there any charges coming from that?
They've been ordered to remove them. Trump is urging them not to comply.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 6:53 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Suppose it depends on state, ever seen a California ballot......

This year in my California county isn't too bad, only 22 things or offices to vote on.

US President
House of Representative
Member of State Assembly
Judge of the superior court
County board of education
A community college board of education seat
elementary school district board member x 2
County board of supervistor seat
Props 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25

Took me about 20 minutes to complete referencing my notes I took during my 2 hours of researching everyone and all the props.
Talking of down ballot races - my daughter in Massachusetts sent me a photo of part of her ballot paper, county commissioner. There are four candidates, you get to vote for two. So the two democrats are normal people. The two others, a Republican and an independent - one had been in prison for attempting to murder his wife, the other had been in prison for issuing death threats. Shows how important it is to research candidates.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 6:55 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
They've been ordered to remove them. Trump is urging them not to comply.
But is there any guarantee that any ballot papers innocently placed in them will be delivered to the right place, and treated properly?
Old Oct 14th 2020, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
But is there any guarantee that any ballot papers innocently placed in them will be delivered to the right place, and treated properly?
No, there isn’t.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 7:42 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by markonline1
No, there isn’t.
In that case, can’t the state seize all the boxes ASAP, to prevent any further harm? Rather than requiring the republicans to remove them?
Old Oct 14th 2020, 8:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
In that case, can’t the state seize all the boxes ASAP, to prevent any further harm? Rather than requiring the republicans to remove them?
The Secretary Of State has given the GOP until tomorrow to remove the boxes and the Attorney General is investigating as well for potential criminal charges.

The GOP and State officials seem to have differing views on the interpretation of voting laws in California, so likely this will end up in court.

This quote is amusing in a way, Trump say's mail ballots bad, California Republicans have long relied on mail ballots to get out the vote in their party.

"Republicans are in a tough spot," Hasen said. "On one hand, you have the President, who is criticizing vote-by-mail and says it is prone to fraud. On the other hand, Republicans in California has long relied on a strong vote-by-mail operation to get out the Republican vote."

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 14th 2020 at 8:27 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 9:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
We don't get all those props in Illinois Lots of judges though. Lots. And the commissioner of the Water Reclamation District (sewage).
California is proposition heaven.

Propositions include:
14- Bond, Issues $5.5 billion in bonds for state stem cell research institute
15- Taxes, Requires commercial and industrial properties to be taxed based on market value and dedicates revenue
16- Repeals Proposition 209 (1996), which says that the state cannot discriminate or grant preferential treatment based on race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin in public employment, education, or contracting
17- Restores the right to vote to people convicted of felonies who are on parole
18- Allows 17-year-olds who will be 18 at the time of the next general election to vote in primaries and special elections
19- Changes tax assessment transfers and inheritance rules
20- Makes changes to policies related to criminal sentencing charges, prison release, and DNA collection
21- Expands local governments' power to use rent control
22- Considers app-based drivers to be independent contractors and enacts several labor policies related to app-based companies
23- Requires physician on-site at dialysis clinics and consent from the state for a clinic to close
24- Expands the provisions of the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and creates the California Privacy Protection Agency to implement and enforce the CCPA
25-
Replaces cash bail with risk assessments for suspects awaiting trial

Prop 22 support has spent the most money this year for any prop, $184,344,108.14 so far.

Prop 18 comes in with the least amount spent, support $342,424.10, opposition $0

https://ballotpedia.org/California_2...t_propositions

2016 my county had a lot of judges, but this time around only 1.

Old Oct 15th 2020, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Unless you do return receipt, mailing "at least three business days before election day" is no guarantee that it was received.

Hand carrying also removes the risk of a non visible/poorly visible postmark that I suspect will be part of Trump's legal challenges. And it likely removes the possibility of your ballot being involved in legal attempts to simply stop counting mail in ballots.
Oh, and there's this too:

Old Oct 15th 2020, 3:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
AZ let's you track just about everything - mailed out to you; received from you; processed as valid; and ... finally ... counted. But - I still haven't received my ballot; they were supposed to send it out Thursday and it's being mailed to my place in northern CA. Eagerly looking out for it ...
Received my ballot today from AZ! So I will fill it out and mail it tomorrow - that should be plenty of time!

Propositions include:
15- Taxes, Requires commercial and industrial properties to be taxed based on market value and dedicates revenue
16- Repeals Proposition 209 (1996), which says that the state cannot discriminate or grant preferential treatment based on race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin in public employment, education, or contracting
17- Restores the right to vote to people convicted of felonies who are on parole
18- Allows 17-year-olds who will be 18 at the time of the next general election to vote in primaries and special elections
20- Makes changes to policies related to criminal sentencing charges, prison release, and DNA collection
22- Considers app-based drivers to be independent contractors and enacts several labor policies related to app-based companies
23- Requires physician on-site at dialysis clinics and consent from the state for a clinic to close
24- Expands the provisions of the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and creates the California Privacy Protection Agency to implement and enforce the CCPA
25-

Prop 22 support has spent the most money this year for any prop, $184,344,108.14 so far.

Prop 18 comes in with the least amount spent, support $342,424.10, opposition $0

Thanks for that list I just arrived in CA on the weekend and the TV ads are wall-to-wall proposition ads! It's driving me crazy because they don't say much about 'what' the proposition is, they just tell you life as you know it will end if you don't support it. I keep meaning to go to some 'summary' site but your list is very helpful

Interesting that for prop 22, they've managed to get 'MADD' (Mothers Against Drunk Drivers) to support it. Basically, from what I can infer, California has passed a law requiring UBER / Lyft etc to treat their drivers as employees; this proposition is to essentially undo that. MADD is saying that Uber/Lyft keeps drunk drivers off the road. I guess the overriding implication is, if Uber/Lyft have to treat their drivers as employees, then they will lose millions of drivers.
Old Oct 15th 2020, 3:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Propositions include:
25-

If you live in San Francisco, you have a further 12 city propositions and 1 district proposition!
Old Oct 15th 2020, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Interesting that for prop 22, they've managed to get 'MADD' (Mothers Against Drunk Drivers) to support it. Basically, from what I can infer, California has passed a law requiring UBER / Lyft etc to treat their drivers as employees; this proposition is to essentially undo that. MADD is saying that Uber/Lyft keeps drunk drivers off the road. I guess the overriding implication is, if Uber/Lyft have to treat their drivers as employees, then they will lose millions of drivers.
Of course, it's mainly about Uber's bottom line.

I'm voting "no" on this one as I believe drivers should be treated as employees with commensurate benefits. I'm also fed up of incessant political mailings from Uber that I never asked for beyond having used Uber in the past. To me, being a consumer of a company doesn't give them carte blanche to do this.
Old Oct 15th 2020, 4:14 am
Account Closed

If you live in San Francisco, you have a further 12 city propositions and 1 district proposition!
Yes I forgot about potential city and/or county specific ones. I didn't see any local specific ones for my voting area, so I guess I got lucky this election.

Of course, it's mainly about Uber's bottom line.

I'm voting "no" on this one as I believe drivers should be treated as employees with commensurate benefits. I'm also fed up of incessant political mailings from Uber that I never asked for beyond having used Uber in the past. To me, being a consumer of a company doesn't give them carte blanche to do this.
I have never even used Uber, and they are sending me their stupid emails. So is Instacart but they have my email from the short time I provided independent contractor service to them. IC just seems to be blast emailing regardless of where people live, IC knows i live in Canada and has no clue I can vote so its not targeted as far as I can tell.
Old Oct 15th 2020, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

Propositions include:
25-

I don't vote on most of the propositions. Too much to study. I don't know how people manage to vote on all of them.

I suspect many people decide based on ads and how it's presented rather than the merits of the proposition. There was a proposition a couple of years ago which was similar in parts to the present Prop 19, but it was rejected I expect because it was said to be promoted by realtors who would profit from the increase in senior home sales. With the present Prop 19 there doesn't seem to be any talk of realtors, instead the benefit to Fire Protection and schools from the increased revenue from more sales, so I expect it will pass.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.