2020 Election

Old Sep 6th 2020, 12:42 am
  #4156  
Fair and balanced
 
kimilseung's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 15,334
kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
This would appear to be quite significant ....

https://www.axios.com/biden-trump-la...17f68055e.html

"Over 190 law enforcement officials endorse Biden"
Unless Trump can say over 1,000 ...
In 2016 84% of police supported Trump, 5% Johnson and 8% Clinton. (i dont know if a recent poll has been done)
Several police unions have declared recently for Trump.
kimilseung is online now  
Old Sep 6th 2020, 1:33 am
  #4157  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,825
UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
Not sure what you mean about “supporting Ireland.” Most people in the UK support Ireland, and certainly the British and Irish governments “support” each other. UK & Ireland are two countries with a very close relationship, intertwined economies, very large numbers of British people live in Ireland, and vice versa. So why on earth would anyone think it a problem that the US supports Ireland?
The matter of Irish independence is a well known historical fact including all its details And there are many in Ireland that believe the north and all of Ireland should have never been influenced by outside forces. I believe despite those differences between outside forces and Ireland it is possible for other nationals to be friends with all those involved. There were a very small percentage of Americans who actually sent funding to support Ireland in its attempts to influence self determination. There were also people in the UK that felt strongly no one should have interfered in Irish sovereignty. But all these matters are a part of history, and as the saying goes there are multiple sides to an opinion involving any subject, let alone a controversial topic and on a British website. There are many wonderful people on this site, so the last thing I wish to do is get too deep into the weeds about American or British past decisions.
UkWinds5353 is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2020, 2:19 am
  #4158  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 57,999
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
The matter of Irish independence is a well known historical fact including all its details And there are many in Ireland that believe the north and all of Ireland should have never been influenced by outside forces. I believe despite those differences between outside forces and Ireland it is possible for other nationals to be friends with all those involved. There were a very small percentage of Americans who actually sent funding to support Ireland in its attempts to influence self determination. There were also people in the UK that felt strongly no one should have interfered in Irish sovereignty. But all these matters are a part of history, and as the saying goes there are multiple sides to an opinion involving any subject, let alone a controversial topic and on a British website. There are many wonderful people on this site, so the last thing I wish to do is get too deep into the weeds about American or British past decisions.
If you are referring to Noraid, they didn't send funding to Ireland in support of its independence. They sent money to the IRA, especially the Provos. It's not the same thing.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Sep 6th 2020 at 2:22 am.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2020, 12:12 pm
  #4159  
Crazy Cat Lady
 
moneypenny20's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 65,040
moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
.... goes there are multiple sides to an opinion involving any subject, let alone a controversial topic and on a British website. There are many wonderful people on this site, so the last thing I wish to do is get too deep into the weeds about American or British past decisions.
Well you brought the subject up by making a very odd statement which people have obviously called you on.
moneypenny20 is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2020, 3:48 pm
  #4160  
Heading for Poppyland
 
robin1234's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: North Norfolk and northern New York State
Posts: 11,690
robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
If you are referring to Noraid, they didn't send funding to Ireland in support of its independence. They sent money to the IRA, especially the Provos. It's not the same thing.
This reminds me of the appalling Republican fascist & supporter of IRA terrorism, Peter King. Fortunately, he decided to retire from Congress. His old district, on Long Island, New York, is the one and only house district (apart from my own) where I’m financially supporting the democratic challenger this election. Jackie Gordon, NY 02. She’s a good person, a real live wire, I think she has a good chance of gaining the seat.

Peter King is one of those “Irish Americans” who thinks it is quite ok to support murderous Irish terrorists, who killed hundreds of Irish people & others, but definitely should be illegal to support Islamic terrorists.
robin1234 is online now  
Old Sep 6th 2020, 3:58 pm
  #4161  
BE Forum Addict
 
zzrmark's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Location: Palmetto, Florida
Posts: 2,920
zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
If you are referring to Noraid, they didn't send funding to Ireland in support of its independence. They sent money to the IRA, especially the Provos. It's not the same thing.
Noraid were the quintessential example of NIMBYism, their funding dried up the second their sponsors realised that blowing up innocent people wasn't very much fun when it happens on your own doorstep. I very much doubt that the Good Friday agreement would have held together for very much longer if 9/11 hadn't stripped the Provos of their US funding.
zzrmark is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2020, 5:41 pm
  #4162  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 16,706
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by zzrmark View Post
Noraid were the quintessential example of NIMBYism, their funding dried up the second their sponsors realised that blowing up innocent people wasn't very much fun when it happens on your own doorstep. I very much doubt that the Good Friday agreement would have held together for very much longer if 9/11 hadn't stripped the Provos of their US funding.
The funding died up pretty sharpish after the Oklahoma City bombing. The ‘cause’ didn’t seem quite so romantic after that.
BritInParis is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2020, 8:29 pm
  #4163  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,866
Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
This reminds me of the appalling Republican fascist & supporter of IRA terrorism, Peter King. Fortunately, he decided to retire from Congress. His old district, on Long Island, New York, is the one and only house district (apart from my own) where I’m financially supporting the democratic challenger this election. Jackie Gordon, NY 02. She’s a good person, a real live wire, I think she has a good chance of gaining the seat.

Peter King is one of those “Irish Americans” who thinks it is quite ok to support murderous Irish terrorists, who killed hundreds of Irish people & others, but definitely should be illegal to support Islamic terrorists.
Peter King is an utter scumbag. The one and only letter I've had published in a well-known US newspaper was pointing out what a complete hypocrite he is as regards terrorism.
Giantaxe is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2020, 4:24 am
  #4164  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,825
UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
Well you brought the subject up by making a very odd statement which people have obviously called you on.
You guys have to figure this out on your own. I have better things to do than join an argument that is about what happened in the past. If you're looking for an argument I say happy hunting!
UkWinds5353 is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2020, 6:02 am
  #4165  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,866
Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
You guys have to figure this out on your own. I have better things to do than join an argument that is about what happened in the past. If you're looking for an argument I say happy hunting!
Only one person brought Ireland up on this thread entitled "2020 Election". And that was... you. Having lobbed in that piece of stupidity and been called in it, you now want to run away and seemingly disown what you said. Ok.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Sep 7th 2020 at 6:05 am.
Giantaxe is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2020, 8:58 am
  #4166  
Crazy Cat Lady
 
moneypenny20's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 65,040
moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
You guys have to figure this out on your own. I have better things to do than join an argument that is about what happened in the past. If you're looking for an argument I say happy hunting!
We don't have to figure anything out. We know what happened and where the money went. You appear to have some alternative universe idea which is complete and utter bullshit and says a huge amount about you. Instead of making yourself look even more ignorant, you could put your hand up, admit you have no clue what you were talking about and apologise for making such a dimwitted comment but I won't hold my breath.
moneypenny20 is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2020, 2:35 pm
  #4167  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Boiler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 33,700
Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Purity test: Democrats clash over Biden diversity goals
The debate over whether corporate insiders should be in the mix for Cabinet positions is shaping up to be a major point of tension within the party.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...ty-test-409245

I had not even thought of this as an area of dispute.

Why Biden could still lose the suburbs to Trump

Among local party officials, there’s an undercurrent of uneasiness about how quickly the president shifted the focus of the campaign away from his coronavirus response and toward public safety.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...rotests-409326

Now this I can see, most people I know would vote Dem, now those whose prime residence is in Denver and surrounding area have all commented on the rise of crime/drugs and the lack or effective response. Fortunately I do not go go down very often and do not really see it first hand but have been surprised how common a comment it is. Now would they vote OMB, I doubt it, bit they certainly may abstain.
Boiler is offline  
Old Sep 15th 2020, 7:47 pm
  #4168  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 57,999
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

I still can't get my head around this bat shit craziness.

https://time.com/5887437/conspiracy-...QlFQkmtK2_MliA

This is not about difference of political opinion. It's just mental.

"This matters not just because of what these voters believe but also because of what they don’t. The facts that should anchor a sense of shared reality are meaningless to them; the news developments that might ordinarily inform their vote fall on deaf ears...They are impervious to messaging, advertising or data. They aren’t just infected with conspiracy; they appear to be inoculated against reality."
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Sep 16th 2020, 12:54 am
  #4169  
BE Forum Addict
 
zzrmark's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Location: Palmetto, Florida
Posts: 2,920
zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I still can't get my head around this bat shit craziness.

https://time.com/5887437/conspiracy-...QlFQkmtK2_MliA

This is not about difference of political opinion. It's just mental.

"This matters not just because of what these voters believe but also because of what they don’t. The facts that should anchor a sense of shared reality are meaningless to them; the news developments that might ordinarily inform their vote fall on deaf ears...They are impervious to messaging, advertising or data. They aren’t just infected with conspiracy; they appear to be inoculated against reality."
I cut all ties with a good English friend of mine about 5 months ago, he's a lovely bloke and has always dabbled in conspiracy theories but he went full QAnon barmy post-lockdown. I would have said that he's one of the least racist blokes I knew but when I tried to chat to him about his new love for Pepe the frog memes his reply went something along the lines of 'well I like them and you don't have to look at them'. He went the full nine yards with Trump, Pizzagate, et al and I would blame it on his lack of schooling (as in, he was all but illiterate when the smartphone debuted. One good thing about life revolving around the phone I suppose, it helps with literacy skills) but he was always quite savvy and a deep thinker. Hey ho, you never can tell.

And while we're on the WTF 2020 election theme, have you (as in 'dear reader', not just LIW) ever wondered why it is that polling numbers just don't seem to shift nowadays? Even calling dead and wounded soldiers losers and suckers did nothing for Trump's, or Biden's, numbers when that kind of news would have put a grinding halt to most presidential campaigns in previous years.
Well here, folks, is your answer - and I doubt that you are going to like it which ever way you swing.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/15/polit...ews/index.html

Last edited by zzrmark; Sep 16th 2020 at 1:03 am.
zzrmark is offline  
Old Sep 16th 2020, 1:44 am
  #4170  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 57,999
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by zzrmark View Post
I cut all ties with a good English friend of mine about 5 months ago, he's a lovely bloke and has always dabbled in conspiracy theories but he went full QAnon barmy post-lockdown. I would have said that he's one of the least racist blokes I knew but when I tried to chat to him about his new love for Pepe the frog memes his reply went something along the lines of 'well I like them and you don't have to look at them'. He went the full nine yards with Trump, Pizzagate, et al and I would blame it on his lack of schooling (as in, he was all but illiterate when the smartphone debuted. One good thing about life revolving around the phone I suppose, it helps with literacy skills) but he was always quite savvy and a deep thinker. Hey ho, you never can tell.

And while we're on the WTF 2020 election theme, have you (as in 'dear reader', not just LIW) ever wondered why it is that polling numbers just don't seem to shift nowadays? Even calling dead and wounded soldiers losers and suckers did nothing for Trump's, or Biden's, numbers when that kind of news would have put a grinding halt to most presidential campaigns in previous years.
Well here, folks, is your answer - and I doubt that you are going to like it which ever way you swing.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/15/polit...ews/index.html

The analysis in that link certainly makes sense to me in some ways. People are cemented into ideological positions, independent of fact in many cases. The bit I don't get is that the stuff that is truly bat shit crazy doesn't belong to any recognizable political position, although said bat shit people tend to declare that they are conservatives in some way. But yeah, the cemented positions are a worry - in all the years that I've spent in the states I've never seen it like this. It's happening somewhat in the UK as well in terms of ideology, but there is less bat shittery.
Lion in Winter is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.