2020 Election

Old Jul 15th 2020, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by Steerpike
The talking heads on the right keep saying 'other countries are sending their kids back to school and so should we'. What no one seems to be saying in response is, yes, 'other countries' are indeed sending their kids back to school - because other countries have got their cases under control.
It remains to be seen if this would be wise, following outbreaks in Israeli Schools

"Two weeks after Israel fully reopened schools, a COVID-19 outbreak sweeping through classrooms — including at least 130 cases at a single school — has led officials to close dozens of schools where students and staff were infected. A new policy orders any school where a virus case emerges to close.
The government decision, announced Wednesday evening, comes after more than 200 cases have been confirmed among students and staff at various schools. At least 244 students and school employees have tested positive for the coronavirus, according to the Ministry of Education. At least 42 kindergartens and schools have been shuttered indefinitely. More than 6,800 students and teachers are in home quarantine by government order."

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...are-discovered

Last edited by johnwoo; Jul 15th 2020 at 8:44 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 8:04 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

This one made me laugh....

Old Jul 17th 2020, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I am almost tempted to make a donation to them, their continuous stream of ads is giving me no end of enjoyment and it'd be a shame to see them run out of money before November.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Centrist columnist Andrew Sullivan - who voted for Obama, Clinton, and has declared he will vote for Biden - has been fired by Vox Media for ideological reasons, Sullivan announced in his last-ever column for their New Yorker publication. Sullivan also hinted that a staff campaign by other writers at the publication to have him removed, may also have occurred.

Sullivan said he will re-start his "Dish" publication that he ceased in 2015. I remember the Dish, and I am pleased that Sullivan will not sit this election out.

Old Jul 18th 2020, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.foxnews.com/media/tensio...cancel-culture

"Tensions among Vox employees erupt on Twitter after journalist signs "cancel culture" letter."

The "letter" is one signed by 150 journalists across the political spectrum, decrying "cancel culture."

Matt Yglesias signed it, which caused three of his colleagues at Vox to erupt on Twitter in a spew of anger and hate - claiming that Yglesias signing the letter was "targeted" at them, they felt "harassment" as a result of him signing it and it made them "less safe" as Vox employees.

Anyone who has actually been involved in Democratic politics pre-Trump, and can remember back to the formation of the NetRoots, knows that Yglesias is a straight-ticket left-wing liberal and trying to paint him as some kind of bigot is asinine.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 11:31 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Centrist columnist Andrew Sullivan - who voted for Obama, Clinton, and has declared he will vote for Biden - has been fired by Vox Media for ideological reasons, Sullivan announced in his last-ever column for their New Yorker publication. Sullivan also hinted that a staff campaign by other writers at the publication to have him removed, may also have occurred.

Sullivan said he will re-start his "Dish" publication that he ceased in 2015. I remember the Dish, and I am pleased that Sullivan will not sit this election out.
I was puzzled by this post because I read the New Yorker every week and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a piece by Andrew Sullivan in it! It seems Sullivan used to write for New York magazine, not the New Yorker.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 11:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

"Tensions among Vox employees erupt on Twitter after journalist signs "cancel culture" letter."

The "letter" is one signed by 150 journalists across the political spectrum, decrying "cancel culture."

Matt Yglesias signed it, which caused three of his colleagues at Vox to erupt on Twitter in a spew of anger and hate - claiming that Yglesias signing the letter was "targeted" at them, they felt "harassment" as a result of him signing it and it made them "less safe" as Vox employees.

Anyone who has actually been involved in Democratic politics pre-Trump, and can remember back to the formation of the NetRoots, knows that Yglesias is a straight-ticket left-wing liberal and trying to paint him as some kind of bigot is asinine.
Such people are now considered beyond the pale and must be destroyed.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robin1234
I was puzzled by this post because I read the New Yorker every week and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a piece by Andrew Sullivan in it! It seems Sullivan used to write for New York magazine, not the New Yorker.
Correct. Typo on my part.

Sullivan is not a liberal or really a Democrat, I hope I did not give that impression in my post, he is somewhat of a centrist but crosses over to Democratic positions and candidates from time to time, and at this stage he hasn't voted for a Republican presidential candidate in 20 years (he also backed John Kerry).

I remember his endorsement of Obama in 2008, when he wrote about how he was excited to vote for George W Bush in 2000, and how the Republicans' abandonment of libertarianism that occurred under Bush/Rove's push to court the Christian Right had so disillusioned him. He's HIV-positive, is a daily marijuana user and was one of the leaders of the LGBT movement in the 1980s. So in other words some radical rightist, he is not.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 12:43 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Sullivan is not a liberal or really a Democrat, I hope I did not give that impression in my post, he is somewhat of a centrist but crosses over to Democratic positions and candidates from time to time, and at this stage he hasn't voted for a Republican presidential candidate in 20 years (he also backed John Kerry).

I remember his endorsement of Obama in 2008, when he wrote about how he was excited to vote for George W Bush in 2000, and how the Republicans' abandonment of libertarianism that occurred under Bush/Rove's push to court the Christian Right had so disillusioned him. He's HIV-positive, is a daily marijuana user and was one of the leaders of the LGBT movement in the 1980s. So in other words some radical rightist, he is not.
Agreed .. I’ve read his work on and off since the 90s, New Republic, then his blog. He’s always been a humane and reality-based commentator. I used to like his views from the hotel window that he would post when he was traveling.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

Centrism is an enemy of the left along with conservatism, since centrism involves complicity in oppressive systems. And freedom of expression is less valued with the rise of speech-as-violence thinking.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 2:37 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

A Fox news person calling Trump out on a lie. Shock!

You can see in his reaction how much he hates being told he's wrong.

Old Jul 18th 2020, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

This sucks.

I see Sullivan mainly on Bill Mahr's show; I think I used to read him on 'the daily beast' ... but could be wrong there. I really enjoy his work, and it is very sad to see him being ostracized. In what way are Vox employees 'less safe'? F**ing snowflake behavior.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting that the Lincoln Project is now going after the Republican senators who are the most prominent supporters of Trump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vZp...ature=youtu.be
Old Jul 18th 2020, 9:12 pm
Often not so civil...

This isn't new. They've been posting about 'Moscow Mitch' and his cronies for a good while.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 9:22 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
A Fox news person calling Trump out on a lie. Shock!

You can see in his reaction how much he hates being told he's wrong.

https://twitter.com/FoxNewsSunday/st...542675458?s=20
Set to record this tomorrow. Should be entertaining.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.