2020 Election

Old Jun 19th 2020, 10:41 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by MMcD

BTW: it's uncanny how much he resembles Vladimir Putin- in more senses than 3
That is a face only a mother could love. And I'm being generous.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 10:51 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Meanwhile, back in the land of reality, even Fox News is reporting some challenging news ... https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...p-biden-329153

Fox News poll: Biden extends lead over Trump amid protests

I never thought a Fox poll would be so consistently correct but even Faux News has Biden battering Trump for the last 9 months. Trump in trouble.
Now add a very charismatic VP with multiple skills and someone who happens to be of color in order to excite the base and watch the purple and red states fall for Biden. Obama coalition.
Old Jun 20th 2020, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
That is a face only a mother could love. And I'm being generous.
Don't know how Mama feels about her progeny - but his uncle (her brother) is unambiguous in his view of his nephew:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...s-uncle-219351
Old Jun 20th 2020, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Every election throws up storylines and lessons and this one is no different, and in fact already is teaching something.

One of the early storylines is the Democratic Party's comprehensive rejection of progressivism in favour of centre-left ideas and traditional liberalism. This is being rewarded at the polls with Joe Biden attaining leads in the range that in 2016 the media acted like and thought that Hillary Clinton should have had, but in fact never came close to achieving. Progressivism is not electable, but liberalism is. Biden's leads at this juncture are the sort that indicate he will win easily; yes it is early but it is not that early anymore.

The 2020 primary featured a liberal in Biden against a progressive in Sanders and the second the voters started paying attention, the progressive got thumped. 2016 featured progressive vs progressive in Clinton vs Sanders which generated historic apathy - Clinton managing to combine an unelectable ideology with an unelectable personality, to lose the unloseable election to someone like Donald Trump.

It has not been a good few years for progressives. Clinton lost, Sanders got thumped twice, British voters delivered a historic stomp to the face of Jeremy Corbyn, the Liberal Democrats fell apart, and unfettered globalism, a key plank of modern progressivism, has suffered setback after setback. Not helping matters is the uncompromising, non-negotiable, take-to-the-streets, Bush and Trump-style "you're with me or you're against me" stance of its backers, many of whom are extremists; negotiation and compromise form the heart of a Western liberal democracy, and the rejection of that causes voters to instinctively recoil. That progressives have turned on Howard Dean, one of the most important left-wing party organisers of the 21st century so far, kind of says it all.

Excellent news, all. The purpose of a political party is to win elections and we cannot do that with the extremists in control, or those with unelectable ideas and ideologies calling the shots.
Old Jun 20th 2020, 5:50 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
. 2016 featured progressive vs progressive in Clinton vs Sanders whiwhichch .
Never thought of Clinton as closer to Sanders than Biden. What metric are you using.
Old Jun 21st 2020, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Never thought of Clinton as closer to Sanders than Biden. What metric are you using.
By graphing their stands, but also Clinton herself repeatedly rejected the use of the term "liberal" to describe herself - she insisted on being called a "progressive." I've also seen other research that has pinned her as one of the most, if not the most, major left-wing nominee on issues in recent history.

The right-left x-axis is simplistic. Mainly it is used to think of candidates economically. There is also a y-axis that is used for libertarian/statist, and in recent years, a z-axis to plot isolationist/globalist. That plays a big role as well.

Libertarian/statist is often the sweet spot - Americans don't like statists - Bush Jr was one (well, turned into one after campaigning on the libertarian side of that axis), Obama wasn't, and that was a key differentiation point in 2008; McCain was tagged with Bush's legacy of statist policies - but increasingly there have been candidates going to the extreme edge of globalism on the z-axis and that is electoral poison (ie, globalism isn't the problem, extreme globalism is). Americans, also, often connect globalism to statism because they link it psychologically to foreign interventions, and they link huge government programs to it as well. Biden is also globalist, he is certainly no isolationist, but he doesn't take it to the same extreme as Clinton and Sanders. Etc etc etc.
Old Jun 21st 2020, 2:22 am
Banned

Trump is spitting angry that despite saying over 1,000,000 people wanted to attend his Oklahoma rally, the attendance turned out to be just enough to half fill that rally location. He is blaming everyone for this failure. Personally I think its good that their planned venue could only attract a smaller crowd. Fewer new victims of coronavirus is a good thing and we know after seeing that crowd of unmasked people there will still be more infected people. Six people that work for the Trump campaign who was sent to Oklahoma to set up this rally has tested positive for the virus in the last 48 hours. Trump will let his supporters get sick in order to hold on to power. When will his supporters wake up?

If that is not crazy enough it was especially insane that Trump tried and failed to stop the nyc attorney general investigation of his crooked deals pertaining to the Ukraine scandal to blackmail that country which also involves Rudy Giuliani. Trump can fire everyone it doesn't matter because those crimes are not going away. Justice will happen when Biden takes over in January.
Old Jun 21st 2020, 2:31 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
By graphing their stands, but also Clinton herself repeatedly rejected the use of the term "liberal" to describe herself - she insisted on being called a "progressive." I've also seen other research that has pinned her as one of the most, if not the most, major left-wing nominee on issues in recent history.

The right-left x-axis is simplistic. Mainly it is used to think of candidates economically. There is also a y-axis that is used for libertarian/statist, and in recent years, a z-axis to plot isolationist/globalist. That plays a big role as well.

Libertarian/statist is often the sweet spot - Americans don't like statists - Bush Jr was one (well, turned into one after campaigning on the libertarian side of that axis), Obama wasn't, and that was a key differentiation point in 2008; McCain was tagged with Bush's legacy of statist policies - but increasingly there have been candidates going to the extreme edge of globalism on the z-axis and that is electoral poison (ie, globalism isn't the problem, extreme globalism is). Americans, also, often connect globalism to statism because they link it psychologically to foreign interventions, and they link huge government programs to it as well. Biden is also globalist, he is certainly no isolationist, but he doesn't take it to the same extreme as Clinton and Sanders. Etc etc etc.
The Political Compass, had, Clinton (7.5,5) and now has Biden (7,3.3) established in its Right/Authoritarian section. Sanders (-1.5,-1) snuck in to its left libetarian section. This seemed about right to me.

Last edited by kimilseung; Jun 21st 2020 at 2:37 am.
Old Jun 21st 2020, 2:54 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Just been laughing my head off at this..... thousands of empty seats in the stadium in Tulsa this evening. Apparently teenagers all over the USA ordered tickets en masse with no intention of going. Twitter has it going @Steve schmidt SES and the daily fail is the only paper to pick up this story I can see.... https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8443751/American-teens-sabotaged-Trumps-Tulsa-rally-reserving-tickets-hundreds.html

Old Jun 21st 2020, 3:43 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Just been laughing my head off at this..... thousands of empty seats in the stadium in Tulsa this evening. Apparently teenagers all over the USA ordered tickets en masse with no intention of going. Twitter has it going @Steve schmidt SES and the daily fail is the only paper to pick up this story I can see.... https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8443751/American-teens-sabotaged-Trumps-Tulsa-rally-reserving-tickets-hundreds.html

I love teenagers
Old Jun 21st 2020, 3:50 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I love teenagers
Yep, I'm sure you do. They're so wonderfully naive and will believe anything you tell them.
Old Jun 21st 2020, 3:50 am
He/him

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I love teenagers
Its my understanding that they over book and only issue tickets/entrance to those present at the day, so you have to register, get in line, but are still not guaranteed entry. Where the nearly one million went I have no idea.
Old Jun 21st 2020, 11:58 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Yep, I'm sure you do. They're so wonderfully naive and will believe anything you tell them.
When do you become one?
Old Jun 21st 2020, 8:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by MMcD
Don't know how Mama feels about her progeny - but his uncle (her brother) is unambiguous in his view of his nephew:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...s-uncle-219351
The strange guy in the above photo has a long history of Nationalist involvement. That is why it's no surprise Trump would surround himself with people like this. But let's not forget that Donald Trump's own father was arrested at a Ku Klux Klan rally. Speaking of progeny.
Old Jun 21st 2020, 9:17 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Its my understanding that they over book and only issue tickets/entrance to those present at the day, so you have to register, get in line, but are still not guaranteed entry. Where the nearly one million went I have no idea.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Trump himself that told him team to put out the news about the 1 million people who wanted to come to his rally after seeing all the initial online interest. So even if there was a protocol in place to confirm each person's intention of coming to the event, all the people that were pretending to be invitees initially more than likely did still have the desired impact because the Trump campaign were duped into believing 1 million people were willing to come out in the middle of an pandemic to see that crazy man give his negative speech. Mission accomplished if you ask me because it hurts Trump and helps the country.

P.S. Kids are awesome and mischievous.

Last edited by UkWinds5353; Jun 21st 2020 at 9:27 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.