2020 Election

Old May 25th 2020, 6:21 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by MMcD
Before hitting 'Reply' on my own post, I don't know why exactly...but something impelled me to jump way back and read through page one of this thread.
Glad I did (my god - what we've endured since Steerpike began this ).
In hindsight these initial posts put what I had written and what has taken place over the last few years - into an interesting perspective.
Here are a few of the opening messages:

Two men are directly responsible for Joe Biden having become the presumptive 2020 Democratic Presidential candidate.
Both are African American…

1) Barack Obama:
If Obama hadn’t (twice) chosen Joe Biden as his running mate, and Biden hadn’t been his Vice President for 8 years - he would not, in 2020, at the age of 77 (and having twice run for this office unsuccessfully in the past), have again thrown his hat into the ring.

2) Jim Clyburn:
If, at the end of February, South Carolina Senator Jim Clyburn had not, with the announcement of his endorsement, rescued and resuscitated what had disintegrated into a faltering Biden campaign - its death knell would have sounded long before the May primary.
Some of the candidates who quickly dropped out after the Clyburn endorsement likely wouldn’t have done so….
And Biden would have been 3 for 3 in his quixotic quest for the Presidency.

Instead, an injection of life-support was generated by Senator Clyburn’s endorsement. It unleashed a geyser of African American enthusiasm….and the rest, to this point, is history….
…So, what’s next?

Clearly, the Biden campaign’s African American support has become foundational.
It’s also existential.
That support is put to the test when he comes out with stupid remarks, as he did the other day when he challenged the authenticity of the blackness of any Trump-supporting African American.

Biden pledged to choose a woman for his running mate.
In the spirit of inclusiveness, and given that there are a spate of eminently qualified women of colour from whom to choose - there’s ample reason for that woman to be an African American.
More to the point - one African American woman, in particular, meets all the criteria he stipulated as essential:

She is Kamala Harris:

I didn’t vote for Joe Biden in the March Primary
Had Kamala Harris not have already dropped out - I wouldn’t have voted for her in March either.

Flash forward 6 months…

I’ll definitely vote for Joe Biden in November
With Kamala Harris as his running mate I’d cast that vote with a lot more enthusiasm.
And optimism.
And even some excitement.

And so, perhaps, might many African Americans - who, if they don’t see a ballot reflecting inclusiveness, might just “vote” to stay home.

If that happened, Joe wouldn't be the only loser!
Excellent post!

Winning and strategy are the keys in this dynamic and picking a VP that excites the base and layers a teflon shield around Biden for the tough phase of the upcoming election is a serious chess move. A woman of color brings out those two million African Americans in addition to the one million Hispanics that all stayed home in 2016. Many were dispassionate about voting for Hillary. The day after the election I talked to a great many Hispanic Americans and they repeated the same opinion that had there been a person of color on the ticket who they related to they would have voted. Quite a few mentioned Michelle. A Harris or Abrams solves that problem.

VP Pence was picked to excite the ultra religious rightwing of the GOP, and if the Democrats want to shield Biden from the sure to be occasional errors during this campaign, picking a talented woman of color will help people to see pass those missteps and secure Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Michigan. 80,000 votes from the cities of Detroit, Philadelphia and Milwaukee would have swung the results in Hillary's favor. In 2016 weeks before election day I did not see any Hillary yard signs or bumper stickers. During every election seeing campaign paraphernalia is for sure a barometer to forecast excitement. The country is at stake! The future of our Allies are at stake. We not only need to win the White House but the Senate as well or it will be difficult to accomplish real change.
Old May 25th 2020, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
There has been plenty of coverage of Kamala on here do we really have to go through it again?
You are a piece of work - but you know that. You have been posting on this thread for months about totally irrelevant people like Hillary Clinton, but when someone else posts about Kamala Harris - who may very well be the VP candidate - you act as if they are wasting your precious time making such posts! I guess now you have to reach into your grab bag of 'bad posts about Kamala Harris' to remind us all just how evil she is. Go ahead ... yawn ...
Old May 25th 2020, 6:55 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
The day after the election I talked to a great many Hispanic Americans .
How many is a great many? Where? How?
Only I've noted previously that you tend towards the something or other a bit around the edges sweepy stuff. As in, you write as though you speak for all Americans in a way, whereas Rete also speaks for all Americans but is in an opposing corner to you. To wit , you cannot both be speaking for all Americans.

So how many is many ?
Old May 25th 2020, 7:54 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Only I've noted previously that you tend towards the something or other a bit around the edges sweepy stuff. As in, you write as though you speak for all Americans in a way, whereas Rete also speaks for all Americans but is in an opposing corner to you. To wit , you cannot both be speaking for all Americans.

So how many is many ?
Since 2016 how many people have I spoken with about deciding not voting back then? Hundreds of people, who actually know other people that stayed home. Over three million Obama supporters decided not to vote. We are very politically active definitely more so than the average family.
Do you know people who decided not to vote in 2016?
Old May 25th 2020, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS

So how many is many ?
Yep.

Since 2016 how many people have I spoken with about deciding not voting back then? Hundreds of people, who actually know other people that stayed home. Over three million Obama supporters decided not to vote. We are very politically active definitely more so than the average family.
Sorry no. Cuban voters lifted Trump over the line in Florida. Hispanic voters are not a monolithic bloc that vote unilaterally Democratic. The idea that Hispanic voters "stayed home" any more than other voters did, and did so because Hillary Clinton and Tim Kaine are white, is nonsensical. As is the idea you did some kind of valid and reliable exit poll of Hispanic voters the day after the election.

I certainly know people who didn't bother to vote in 2016.

Old May 25th 2020, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Yep.

Sorry no. Cuban voters lifted Trump over the line in Florida. Hispanic voters are not a monolithic bloc that vote unilaterally Democratic. The idea that Hispanic voters "stayed home" any more than other voters did, and did so because Hillary Clinton and Tim Kaine are white, is nonsensical. As is the idea you did some kind of valid and reliable exit poll of Hispanic voters the day after the election.

That is strange because, here in Florida, we were given to understand that it was the working person's vote that swung Florida for Trump. You only have to leave the city boundaries to see how strong his support is in the rural counties and the counties one usually associates with a strong Cuban voter presence came out for Clinton.
Old May 25th 2020, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

And bringing us up to date, while there are enough Democrats in Florida to take the majority vote they are still confined to a few urban-centric counties, but the majority of counties in Florida are still rural and, certainly in the ones I drive through, the Trump flags are still flying. Historically Red states, like Texas, may be returning a stronger Blue vote as cities expand but I don't think that Florida's growth is Blue enough to make much difference. We may still be a swing state but unless we get a prospective Dem VP that appeals to the non-white vote I believe that Florida will go to Trump, again.
Old May 25th 2020, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
And bringing us up to date, while there are enough Democrats in Florida to take the majority vote they are still confined to a few urban-centric counties, but the majority of counties in Florida are still rural and, certainly in the ones I drive through, the Trump flags are still flying. Historically Red states, like Texas, may be returning a stronger Blue vote as cities expand but I don't think that Florida's growth is Blue enough to make much difference. We may still be a swing state but unless we get a prospective Dem VP that appeals to the non-white vote I believe that Florida will go to Trump, again.

A Florida District Court ruling came down last night that might have a decisive impact on the State's Redness/Blueness
Of course a significant challenge is guaranteed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...6df_story.html
Old May 25th 2020, 6:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

A Florida District Court ruling came down last night that might have a decisive impact on the State's Redness/Blueness

Why?
Old May 25th 2020, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yup, the Republicans have been moaning and obstructing the will of Floridians who voted overwhelmingly (64% of a 60% turnout) to allow those who had served their time to exercise their right to vote. How much difference it will make in a general election is unclear because much of that enabled African American vote will be from areas that are predominantly blue already.

The state is running out of places to go with appeals and presumably they must realise that the harder they fight it the more they risk stirring up previously apathetic eligible voters against them.

That might answer Boiler's question too.
Old May 25th 2020, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
That is strange because, here in Florida, we were given to understand that it was the working person's vote that swung Florida for Trump. You only have to leave the city boundaries to see how strong his support is in the rural counties and the counties one usually associates with a strong Cuban voter presence came out for Clinton.
By "strong Cuban voter presence" I guess you mean Miami-Dade, where Clinton got 1% more of the vote than Obama did by percentage, and Broward, where she underran and got less than Obama did. By "working person's vote" I guess that means Palm Beach County, one of the wealthiest counties in the US, where Clinton underran the Democrats' historical advantage substantially, and the county had its closest result in a generation. Or Pinellas County, which she lost outright but Obama won twice (and, Gore also won Pinellas). By "rural" I guess you mean places like Jacksonville, St Petersburg and Ft Myers-Naples, all of which Trump carried?

It's one thing to parrot an MSNBC talking point about the "white working class" but who the hell exactly is that? Usually on this forum it's a dog whistle for "rural" and "Southern." But you will not find many of those in Florida south of Orlando and the demographic in a place like Lee and Martin Counties, are very different than in places like Santa Rosa and Columbia Counties.

If the "white working class" means exactly what it says, that's about 68% or 69% of the national electorate. Quite a large portion for so many to be so dismissive about, which is part of the problem. You counter that by having policies that appeal to that group, not by playing racial identity politics as UKwinds proposed.

By the way some of the Florida counties Clinton got stomped in, have large relative African-American populations. Escambia County is about 23% African-American, compared to 15% in Miami-Dade. Duval County is about 28% African-American.

Last edited by carcajou; May 25th 2020 at 9:54 pm.
Old May 25th 2020, 9:50 pm
Banned

Yep.

You may already know the fact that the Cuban population is not even close to being the largest minority population in Florida. Nor is the Cuban population a monolithic voting block especially regarding their younger population. Puerto Ricans are the fastest growing Hispanic population in Florida (especially since the problems in Puerto Rico)and they as a voting block tend to swing toward progressive politics. I've knocked on a lot of doors in Florida during canvassing and it's not always easy to excite prospective new voters to come out their homes to voice how they want the state ran. Based on information after the election took place it was a combination of factors why Florida went to Trump. There was a surge of voters that went to Trump, but equally, if not more important there was a great deal of voter apathy that played a major role in most of the swing states in 2016. This is not my opinion it's based on data. Despite Florida having more Democrats than Republicans, it is a known fact that elections here are notoriously close most cycles. The fact that I personally have registered more people to vote in one Presidential election than the total number of votes which decided the Bush vs Gore Florida election speaks to how close our elections can be. But the problem for my soon to be former Republican party is how most of America is becoming more progressive in the idea that good government is not a bad concept. It has a place in people's lives and can actually improve the standard of one's ability to build a more prosperous existence.
Old May 25th 2020, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

You may already know the fact that the Cuban population is not even close to being the largest minority population in Florida. Nor is the Cuban population a monolithic voting block especially regarding their younger population. Puerto Ricans are the fastest growing Hispanic population in Florida (especially since the problems in Puerto Rico)and they as a voting block tend to swing toward progressive politics. I've knocked on a lot of doors in Florida during canvassing and it's not always easy to excite prospective new voters to come out their homes to voice how they want the state ran. Based on information after the election took place it was a combination of factors why Florida went to Trump. There was a surge of voters that went to Trump, but equally, if not more important there was a great deal of voter apathy that played a major role in most of the swing states in 2016. This is not my opinion it's based on data. Despite Florida having more Democrats than Republicans, it is a known fact that elections here are notoriously close most cycles. The fact that I personally have registered more people to vote in one Presidential election than the total number of votes which decided the Bush vs Gore Florida election speaks to how close our elections can be. But the problem for my soon to be former Republican party is how most of America is becoming more progressive in the idea that good government is not a bad concept. It has a place in people's lives and can actually improve the standard of one's ability to build a more prosperous existence.
Again - and we have already discussed this - Florida having more Democrats than Republicans is not a sign of some kind of deep progressive underbelly waiting to be awakened. Many of those "Democrats" are older Panhandle voters, relic Democrats from the "Solid South" who never bothered to change their registration and haven't voted for a Democrat in 30 years. I also know a whole host of Democrats who have swept through places like the Panhandle with that statistic "there are more Democrats than Republicans here" but no real idea what it meant.

Trump winning, and (among other things) Sanders' defeat yet again, are odd things to take as evidence that the US is becoming more progressive. The candidate who is able to most effectively camp out in the centre is the one who is going to win. I realise there are many in this forum who want to swing far to the left as a means of virtue signalling. That is a ticket to perpetual opposition and I continue to be floored and amazed at how the last 50 years of the UK Labour Party seems to have taught nothing.
Old May 25th 2020, 10:48 pm
Banned

By "strong Cuban voter presence" I guess you mean Miami-Dade, where Clinton got 1% more of the vote than Obama did by percentage, and Broward, where she underran and got less than Obama did. By "working person's vote" I guess that means Palm Beach County, one of the wealthiest counties in the US, where Clinton underran the Democrats' historical advantage substantially, and the county had its closest result in a generation. Or Pinellas County, which she lost outright but Obama won twice (and, Gore also won Pinellas). By "rural" I guess you mean places like Jacksonville, St Petersburg and Ft Myers-Naples, all of which Trump carried?

It's one thing to parrot an MSNBC talking point about the "white working class" but who the hell exactly is that? Usually on this forum it's a dog whistle for "rural" and "Southern." But you will not find many of those in Florida south of Orlando and the demographic in a place like Lee and Martin Counties, are very different than in places like Santa Rosa and Columbia Counties.

If the "white working class" means exactly what it says, that's about 68% or 69% of the electorate. Quite a large portion for so many to be so dismissive about, which is part of the problem. You counter that by having policies that appeal to that group, not by playing racial identity politics as UKwinds proposed.

By the way some of the Florida counties Clinton got stomped in, have large relative African-American populations. Escambia County is about 23% African-American, compared to 15% in Miami-Dade. Duval County is about 28% African-American.
You seen very confused about politics in the greater scheme things. And btw, where did my post mention the importance of "playing racial indenity politics"? That is a very loose interpretation of normal outreach to bring in and excite new voters. Are some of those new voters from various ethnicities? I say yes. Should every attempt to reach out to various ethnicities and better understanding their concerns be viewed or tagged by a racial lens? I hope not, because that would be ignoring the obvious fact that Hispanics, Irish, Native Americans, African Americans all might have a similar concern but will individually prefer a unique approach to solving those concerns. My post was all about lifting up the greater society by utilizing the talents of those that can appeal to everyone including folks that don't always feel represented. That seems like a win win situation.
Appealing to any voting block or the malpractice in ignoring that group of voters is a normal practice in electioneering and often decides most elections in America. The issues or concerns that are important to any one voting block might be especially unique to that group of people, and or counter productive to that of other constituent's agendas, but may well be productive for society in general. The code phrase "racial identity politics "was used quite often in the 1950s by many people that were against the creation of civil rights laws for the minority populations in America. that were being brutalized But a major benefit that was born out of the civil rights struggle is how those ground breaking legislations helped to benefit White women. I would tell anyone regardless how informed they might believe they are, to take the time to learn about the struggle of women in the world. And how the Civil Rights movement gave rise to the improvement of all people by lifting up women as well. So to assume that the concerns of "other" people, are narrowly focused and based on the premise, as you just put forth, racial identity, is truly missing the forest for the trees. Caring about the issues that affect women's health based on your premise has a singular effect on society and can best be described as "gender Politics". But in truth the policies that lift up women also help society over-all because it also improves the family unit including the children and spouse in that family. Unless of course we want to tag that as "family politics".
Old May 25th 2020, 11:10 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Nope. Not the above which is quite different.

This

The day after the election I talked to a great many Hispanic Americans ---
How? Where? Did you do a door to door canvas for instance? Or perhaps people that work for you?
How many is a great many?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.