2020 Election

Old May 23rd 2020, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

nain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

"Again and again, Biden’s relationship with black Americans, like the Democratic National Committee’s relationship, has been patronizing at best and actively harmful at worst."

Originally Posted by Boiler
More and nore on this story, just another taster from the zGraun but plenty in oyther media sources.....

"patronizing [to black voters] at best and actively harmful at worst." - You mean like when Biden praised white supremacists and said that they were some "fine people"? Like refusing to condemn a white supremacist after he murdered someone? Or when Biden continually questioned the citizenship of his black opponent?

Oh, wait - that was Donald that did those things. Never mind, nothing to see here. Carry on with your usual activities. Change the subject, change the subject, change the subject.

Old May 24th 2020, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Before hitting 'Reply' on my own post, I don't know why exactly...but something impelled me to jump way back and read through page one of this thread.
Glad I did (my god - what we've endured since Steerpike began this ).
In hindsight these initial posts put what I had written and what has taken place over the last few years - into an interesting perspective.
Here are a few of the opening messages:

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Now the 2018 mid-terms are over, it's time to get ready for the big-one ... the 2020 Election, when Trump will be up for re-election.

I've been in shock / denial over Trump's victory ever since 2016, avoiding most political discussion but I'm desperately hoping that the Democrats can get their act together for 2020 and put up a candidate who can beat Trump (and strengthen their position in Congress). You'd think it wouldn't be that hard but the Democrats do seem to have the ability to shoot themselves in the foot, and Trump does seem to have a teflon coating of sorts.

In My Humble Opinion, in order to win in 2020 the Democrats must find a presidential candidate who is charismatic above all else. That is what Obama had going for him (and Bill Clinton) more than anything else. And by 'charisma' I include the ability to speak eloquently at length.

So without further ado, I will state my personal current hope that the Democratic candidate is Kamala Harris, the current Senator from CA. This article https://qz.com/1129587/democrats-can...aign-strategy/ suggests she has the right credentials. Maybe Joe Biden could pull it off ... though he's really too old at this point. I think Bernie would be a disaster; he has a certain 'authenticity', but he is never going to get the independents in my view. Beto O'Rourke? Maybe just a touch TOO inexperienced.

This article talks about Cory Booker Harris is #3 on their list, Booker #5. https://www.nj.com/politics/index.ss...and_other.html
Elizabeth Warren is #1 on the list above; she doesn't inspire me but hey, if she's the nominee then she'll get my vote
Originally Posted by dakota44
I like Kamala and would not be disappointed with her as a candidate. This election saw the largest turnout ever of milenials and young voters. Loads of first time voters as well. Who did they vote for on the Dem side? Not the older crew with very rare exception. They went younger and with a lot of women as well as racial diversity. That should be the message the Dems understand. Enough of the aged old folks. I like Joe, but hope he does not run. Bernie had his candidate fame and has fallen well behind in candidate polls. Clinton is hinting and should just go away. I want younger, progressive with ability and charisma. I do not mind Beto at all. He clearly is popular and knowledgeable and draws strong support. Sadly the primaries will likely see a huge list of candidates and a lot of damage will be done in the fight for the nomination. Some people need to accept they have no chance and stay out of it.
Originally Posted by rpjs
If I were a betting man, I'd put a few bucks on Sen Amy Klobuchar of MN.
Two men are directly responsible for Joe Biden having become the presumptive 2020 Democratic Presidential candidate.
Both are African American…

1) Barack Obama:
If Obama hadn’t (twice) chosen Joe Biden as his running mate, and Biden hadn’t been his Vice President for 8 years - he would not, in 2020, at the age of 77 (and having twice run for this office unsuccessfully in the past), have again thrown his hat into the ring.

2) Jim Clyburn:
If, at the end of February, South Carolina Senator Jim Clyburn had not, with the announcement of his endorsement, rescued and resuscitated what had disintegrated into a faltering Biden campaign - its death knell would have sounded long before the May primary.
Some of the candidates who quickly dropped out after the Clyburn endorsement likely wouldn’t have done so….
And Biden would have been 3 for 3 in his quixotic quest for the Presidency.

Instead, an injection of life-support was generated by Senator Clyburn’s endorsement. It unleashed a geyser of African American enthusiasm….and the rest, to this point, is history….
…So, what’s next?

Clearly, the Biden campaign’s African American support has become foundational.
It’s also existential.
That support is put to the test when he comes out with stupid remarks, as he did the other day when he challenged the authenticity of the blackness of any Trump-supporting African American.

Biden pledged to choose a woman for his running mate.
In the spirit of inclusiveness, and given that there are a spate of eminently qualified women of colour from whom to choose - there’s ample reason for that woman to be an African American.
More to the point - one African American woman, in particular, meets all the criteria he stipulated as essential:

She is Kamala Harris:

I didn’t vote for Joe Biden in the March Primary
Had Kamala Harris not have already dropped out - I wouldn’t have voted for her in March either.

Flash forward 6 months…

I’ll definitely vote for Joe Biden in November
With Kamala Harris as his running mate I’d cast that vote with a lot more enthusiasm.
And optimism.
And even some excitement.

And so, perhaps, might many African Americans - who, if they don’t see a ballot reflecting inclusiveness, might just “vote” to stay home.

If that happened, Joe wouldn't be the only loser!

Last edited by MMcD; May 24th 2020 at 9:15 pm.
Old May 24th 2020, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old May 24th 2020, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Precisely, Boiler
Her selection would also demonstrate that Democrats are capable of grace
As was previously demonstrated by Obama - when he selected Hillary as his Sec'y. of State after their slug-fest, bitter campaign
Old May 24th 2020, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

There has been plenty of coverage of Kamala on here do we really have to go through it again?
Old May 24th 2020, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

There has been plenty of coverage of Kamala on here do we really have to go through it again?
Then why are you banging on about her?
She's the subject of your post(s), not mine.

My concern, and purportedly that of this thread, is "2020Election"
The subject of my post is Joe Biden
I see Kamala Harris as a means to an end - his victory in Nov.
Old May 24th 2020, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

You are the one that mentioned her as VP.
Old May 25th 2020, 12:04 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

How annoying for you, people posting irrelevant stuff on a thread.

Old May 25th 2020, 12:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
How annoying for you, people posting irrelevant stuff on a thread.

Not irrelevant, but do was really have to dredge up all the Kamala issues.
Old May 25th 2020, 12:10 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Not irrelevant, but do was really have to dredge up all the Kamala issues.
If issues are relevant then there shouldn't be any problem talking about these issues, no?
Old May 25th 2020, 12:18 am
Account Closed

As a California prosecutor and later, attorney general, Harris fought to uphold wrongful convictions secured through departmental misconduct, endorsed efforts in California to criminalize truancy, and oversaw a department that argued the state of California couldn’t release some prisoners because it would reduce the number of prison laborers.

As prison data shows, those policies all disproportionately harm people of color.
Old May 25th 2020, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

As a California prosecutor and later, attorney general, Harris fought to uphold wrongful convictions secured through departmental misconduct, endorsed efforts in California to criminalize truancy, and oversaw a department that argued the state of California couldn’t release some prisoners because it would reduce the number of prison laborers.

As prison data shows, those policies all disproportionately harm people of color.
Going to provide an attribution for that text? It certainly doesn’t seem to be written in your “style”.
Old May 25th 2020, 12:52 am
Account Closed

Vice which I believe is an approved source.
Old May 25th 2020, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Sad that you have to be prompted to follow site rules.
Old May 25th 2020, 2:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

And you can't do what regular people do and post the link because?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.