2020 Election

Old Apr 30th 2020, 3:32 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by andyrebell
No kid or grandchild of mine will ever pledge allegiance to Donald Trump. Isn't that what they do in america in schools? When they pledge allegiance to the flag every morning aren't they in fact pledging allegiance to the president? Or do they only do that in the movies like Kindergarten Cop? And he ain't my commander and chief he is yours
No child is compelled to do the pledge, my kid didn't do it, though the school gave everyone the opportunity to do it.
The school where I work does not do it ever.
If anyone did chose to do the pledge then I would say you are choosing to pledge to Trump as President, as he is the President of the Republic. Such a pledge is an all or nothing offering. A my country right or wrong offering.

Last edited by kimilseung; Apr 30th 2020 at 3:36 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 5:19 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
No child is compelled to do the pledge, my kid didn't do it, though the school gave everyone the opportunity to do it.
The school where I work does not do it ever.
If anyone did chose to do the pledge then I would say you are choosing to pledge to Trump as President, as he is the President of the Republic. Such a pledge is an all or nothing offering. A my country right or wrong offering.
Generations of kids thought it was all about Richard Stands.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/for...-stands.84713/
Old Apr 30th 2020, 5:24 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone did chose to do the pledge then I would say you are choosing to pledge to Trump as President, as he is the President of the Republic.
I would disagree. The leader is transitory and reflects the moment. The ideals that the Republic were founded on do not.

You can agree with the reasons for the war, and not agree with the actions of the Generals. They aren't intrinsically linked in my view.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 5:26 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I would disagree. The leader is transitory and reflects the moment. The ideals that the Republic were founded on do not.
You can agree with the reasons for the war, and not agree with the actions of the Generals. They aren't intrinsically linked in my view.
Happily they have changed quite significantly, and hopefully will continue to do so.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 8:08 pm
He/him

Boiler! Is this you?
"A QAnon Devotee Live-Streamed Her Trip to N.Y. to ‘Take Out’ Joe Biden"

Trump fan arrested, off to kill Biden
Old Apr 30th 2020, 8:19 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
There are not a few private schools where the pledge of allegiance is still done in the mornings. It doesn't reference the Presidence though de facto by pledge of allegiance to the Constitution, and of course mentions God. I assume, but don't know, many public schools away from the coasts may still have the Pledge as a requirement..
Fair enough. Why pledge at all, why did they used to do it?.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 9:17 pm
He/him

Real question?
A man named Bellamy introduced it at a time of high immigration, it was to make the children of these immigrants think of themselves as Americans rather than the ethnicity of their parents. He also sold flags, and some say it was a successful flag marketing campaign. Later, when the wording of the pledge was expanded, it was a tool in creating fear of Communism, and create an Us and Them mentality..
Old Apr 30th 2020, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

In the mid 1980's the pledge was mandatory, you'd get in trouble for not doing it, around 4th or 5th grade the school dropped the pledge and played this land is your land each day before classes started, by 7th grade nothing was done at the start of the school day beyond the bell which really wasn't even a bell but an annoying noise.

My schools were always very diverse ethnic wise, people all over the world, so maybe that played a role in the schools I went to stopping it.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Why ? To build patriotism and national spirit.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 9:38 pm
He/him

It is of course always amusing to look at the Bellamy salute that accompanied the pledge at the time of its introduction and in to the 30s when it became somewhat controversial, being officially replaced in 1942, with the hand over the heart thing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Bell...w=1280&bih=881
Old Apr 30th 2020, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

nain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond repute

Real question?
A man named Bellamy introduced it at a time of high immigration, it was to make the children of these immigrants think of themselves as Americans rather than the ethnicity of their parents. He also sold flags, and some say it was a successful flag marketing campaign. Later, when the wording of the pledge was expanded, it was a tool in creating fear of Communism, and create an Us and Them mentality..
Yeah, the words "under God" were not in the original pledge, only added in the 1950's by right-wing fundie politicians.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 10:13 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Real question?
The kids will pledging Biden in 12 months. The irony of your statement above to create fear of communism. And a virus originating from one of the last communist regimes on earth has destroyed the re-election of Donald Trump a man possibly assisted into office by the activity of another communist regime. Because he as screwed this up in such a terrible way it will be hard for him to recover from it.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

The kids will pledging Biden in 12 months. The irony of your statement above to create fear of communism. And a virus originating from one of the last communist regimes on earth has destroyed the re-election of Donald Trump a man possibly assisted into office by the activity of another communist regime. Because he as screwed this up in such a terrible way it will be hard for him to recover from it.

If I read you correctly, you think that modern day Russia is a 'another communist regime'???
Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with the terms perestroika and Gorbachev.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 10:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by zzrmark
If I read you correctly, you think that modern day Russia is a 'another communist regime'???
Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with the terms perestroika and Gorbachev.
Ok maybe communist is the wrong word to use but if Putin he will be in power another 20 years if he gets his way and he probably will and Putin would bring back the Soviet Union if he could but the West and EU would never allow it. Dictatorial is that a better word to use?

Either way the actions of Russia may have helped trump get into power and the possible failures of China might help take him out of it. Were it not for the coronavirus Biden would not have a chance but Trump is really in trouble now he is leading them to rack and ruin. I think Biden would have been a better leader in this.
Old May 1st 2020, 2:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was gobsmacked to see this in the NYT, real journalism, somebody is in deep trouble.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/30/b...den-media.html

Why Won’t TV News Book Tara Reade?

The stakes are high for the media in the case of a sexual assault allegation against Joe Biden.
An excellent question, you would normally expect them to be all over a story like this. Mention that she may need to go on Fox, which as a Dem she does not want to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.