2020 Election

Old Apr 18th 2020, 7:13 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I watched 'real time with Bill Maher' last night; always appreciate his show even when I don't agree with him. Last night, he had on a Texas republican that I've never heard of before - Dan Crenshaw - quite an interesting guy to listen to. The above topic came up a bit, and he did mention that Texas allows for 'early voting' in person for 2 weeks prior to the election, suggesting that perhaps anyone who is concerned about voting 'in person' on election day can vote any time in this 2 week period. Did I get that right?

This link covers some of the interview with him:

https://www.real-time-with-bill-maher-blog.com/ (scroll down to third entry). at minute-marker 12:15, he specifically mentions the early voting.
I tried to watch that when it aired but, for whatever reason, Bill Maher was really pissing me off. Sometimes that happens.

To answer your question, yes, Texas has early voting. I almost always vote early, tbh. Early voting is very popular so, even when you vote early, there's always some foot traffic coming and going.
Old Apr 18th 2020, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
To answer your question, yes, Texas has early voting. I almost always vote early, tbh. Early voting is very popular so, even when you vote early, there's always some foot traffic coming and going.
I'm guessing there are far fewer places to vote early than than there are precincts open on Election Day? So the early voting locations may be just as dense with people, and thus no safer during the pandemic?
Old Apr 18th 2020, 7:32 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HDWill
I'm guessing there are far fewer places to vote early than than there are precincts open on Election Day? So the early voting locations may be just as dense with people, and thus no safer during the pandemic?
Sure but the overall effect is lighter traffic in general. In the 2018 midterm I voted on election day and had less than a 5 minute wait. It really does depend on where in Texas that you live though.
Old Apr 18th 2020, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Dan Crenshaw is a bit of an arsehole, but he ain't stupid. It was amusing to see Maher made to look so poor at his job once again.This new format really does not help Maher, The one to one interviews expose his poor ability as an interviewer, he normally only has to do it once and the show gets raised by the panel section. I am baffled by why they dont have multiple simultaneous guests on the show now. The guests were always the saving grace of his show, and the one on one interactions the low point. Now we just have a series of one on one catastrophes. I am finding I am drawn to the show as car crash TV. It is also exposing his American exceptionalist elitist attitudes more, as there are not those bank of guests to balance it out.
I certainly don't worship the guy (Maher) and I agree, his interviewing style is not always great. He did not fare well with Crenshaw, who was far more coherent and respectful than Maher. But I thought Maher's opening interview with that 'democratic pollster' lady (name escapes me) was really good! She spoke so quickly and eloquently, he couldn't get a word in edgewise and she had a lot of good things to say! I hope shes right.
Old Apr 18th 2020, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to watch that when it aired but, for whatever reason, Bill Maher was really pissing me off. Sometimes that happens.

I haven't watched 'Real Time' in months, but I do record it. Last night, I decided to catch up. I watched about 4 episodes in a row. Was quite interesting to see the progression of his 'seriousness' towards the virus. I thought last night's was one of the best; the pollster lady was awesome (I hope and pray she's right!), Crenshaw was at least 'interesting', and I really, really enjoyed the part with Fareed Z. Andew Sullivan is also always worth a listen; he's in a bad place right now!
Old Apr 18th 2020, 8:15 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't watched 'Real Time' in months, but I do record it. Last night, I decided to catch up. I watched about 4 episodes in a row. Was quite interesting to see the progression of his 'seriousness' towards the virus. I thought last night's was one of the best; the pollster lady was awesome (I hope and pray she's right!), Crenshaw was at least 'interesting', and I really, really enjoyed the part with Fareed Z. Andew Sullivan is also always worth a listen; he's in a bad place right now!
I quite like Crenshaw, for a Republican - but I can't get Danger Mouse out of my head.
Old Apr 18th 2020, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

This works for me...

https://nypost.com/2020/04/18/how-th...e-white-house/
Old Apr 18th 2020, 9:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I was spoiled in California with voting, I have never actually had to vote in person, it was always mail, my first election was in 2000, and they let me vote by mail, and now its been mail for the last 15 years since I can't physically vote in person, but seems weird some states make voting by mail so difficult.

Old Apr 18th 2020, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I guess I was spoiled in California with voting, I have never actually had to vote in person, it was always mail, my first election was in 2000, and they let me vote by mail, and now its been mail for the last 15 years since I can't physically vote in person, but seems weird some states make voting by mail so difficult.
Not really weird; it's a form of vote suppression.
Old Apr 18th 2020, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Not really weird; it's a form of vote suppression.
Which also seems weird to me. Maybe I have just been in Canada so long now, the behaviors in the US are becoming more and more weird to me.....
Old Apr 18th 2020, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Which also seems weird to me. Maybe I have just been in Canada so long now, the behaviors in the US are becoming more and more weird to me.....
I meant it wasn't "weird" in the sense that there is an explanation for making mail voting difficult or impossible. But, yeh, it's pretty sad that a democratic country wouldn't make it easier to vote, especially during the current pandemic. The "voter fraud" argument really is a smokescreen.
Old Apr 19th 2020, 12:02 am
WTF?

Okay, I felt left out of the conversation so I watched the Crenshaw clip. Crenshaw read his brief ... ... nuff said. Maher was still pissing me off though --- I found his attack on Crenshaw to be pointless and petulant. There are better ways to draw people out.

I'm a fan of the show in general even though it bombs half of the time. I look forward to his opening monologues.

Old Apr 19th 2020, 12:08 am
WTF?

I certainly don't worship the guy (Maher) and I agree, his interviewing style is not always great. He did not fare well with Crenshaw, who was far more coherent and respectful than Maher. But I thought Maher's opening interview with that 'democratic pollster' lady (name escapes me) was really good! She spoke so quickly and eloquently, he couldn't get a word in edgewise and she had a lot of good things to say! I hope shes right.
I didn't see a clip with a 'democratic pollster' lady.
Old Apr 19th 2020, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I have been watching the two part interview on Democracy Now with Noam Chomsky. I've always been an admirer of Chomsky, he is still very sharp at age 92.
"Suppose Biden is elected. I would anticipate it would be essentially a continuation of Obama — nothing very great, but at least not totally destructive, and opportunities for an organized public to change what is being done, to impose pressures."

"Trump, the sociopath, and Biden, who’s kind of a pretty empty — you can push him one way or another. This is the most crucial election in human history, literally. Another four years of Trump, and we’re in deep trouble."

https://www.democracynow.org/appearances/noam_chomsky

“Gangster in the White House”: Noam Chomsky on COVID-19, WHO, China, Gaza and Global Capitalism

Last edited by johnwoo; Apr 19th 2020 at 12:30 am.
Old Apr 19th 2020, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I didn't see a clip with a 'democratic pollster' lady.
Ahhhh .... it just dawned on me ... I watched 4 episodes last night; this was the opening 'one on one' interview from one of the last 'in-studio' shows. But I still can't find any reference to it! Let me do a bit of research ... she was really quite good to watch!

OK - found it; I was quite a bit back in the episodes! Rachel Bitecofer is the name.

Last edited by Steerpike; Apr 19th 2020 at 5:35 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.