2020 Election

Old Apr 14th 2020, 2:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Seems like the Democrats did well in the debacle of the Wisconsin election. Was that predicted in polls? Was this a reaction against Trump? Anything to take away from that?
Old Apr 14th 2020, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Not correct. The nomination would not automatically pass to Bernie on the basis that he dropped out last or finished second in the delegate count.

The delegates themselves, and the party at large, are highly unlikely to coalesce around Sanders.

The most likely scenarios would be, in this order: (1) Biden's VP pick becomes the nominee; (2) a brokered convention - which definitely does not benefit Sanders.

I don't doubt in such a scenario that Sanders and his supporters will issue a bunch of demands and threats, and let them. He is the exemplar of the law of diminishing returns.
I did not say the nomination would automatically pass to Bernie. I would expect it to or should.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HDWill
Well, since Trump championed hydroxychloroquine based on his "gut," if it turned out to be highly effective, it would be a real feather in his cap for the election.

If you ask me, it is deeply unfortunate that medical treatments have become politicized. You'd think it would be obvious to everyone that scientific data should lead the way.
And the fact that the " The Trump Family Fund" hold shares of the Manufacture off this Drug !
Old Apr 14th 2020, 3:25 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ingles
And the fact that the " The Trump Family Fund" hold shares of the Manufacture off this Drug !
Frank Bruni of the New York Times wrote this on the topic of Trump's obsession with this med (Mods: I can't link to the specific source as it comes from a direct-mail NYT newsletter, dated April 8):

"Of course President Trump is getting advice about the pandemic from Mehmet Oz, and of course Dr. Oz is eager to provide it. They’re a match made in ratings-obsessed heaven.

"Oz, mind you, is not a virologist. Not an epidemiologist. His actual specialty — cardiothoracic surgery — isn’t the most immediately relevant to the coronavirus. But his real specialty is using medicine as a means to maximum public exposure. He wasn’t about to let this dark chapter go to waste.

<<<SNIP >>>

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 14th 2020 at 3:47 pm. Reason: Copyright
Old Apr 14th 2020, 3:49 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Frank Bruni of the New York Times wrote this on the topic of Trump's obsession with this med (Mods: I can't link to the specific source as it comes from a direct-mail NYT newsletter, dated April 8):

"Of course President Trump is getting advice about the pandemic from Mehmet Oz, and of course Dr. Oz is eager to provide it. They’re a match made in ratings-obsessed heaven.

"Oz, mind you, is not a virologist. Not an epidemiologist. His actual specialty — cardiothoracic surgery — isn’t the most immediately relevant to the coronavirus. But his real specialty is using medicine as a means to maximum public exposure. He wasn’t about to let this dark chapter go to waste.

<<<SNIP >>>
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/08/o...ump-dr-oz.html ?
Old Apr 14th 2020, 4:49 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung

Thank you!
Old Apr 14th 2020, 6:00 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
That would be Biden. You may not like Trump, you may correctly consider him to be a boor and a braggart, but that doesn't make him senile.
Yeah but no. Nice try. I hate to break it to you but you are not the one who gets to decide who is senile and who isn't. You declared Biden as senile. I declare Trump as senile! There. According to the internet they are now both officially senile. Do you see how ridiculous you sound? These are the exact talking points that the Trumpsters are bashing everybody over the head with right now. You are staying true to form.

I never said anyone had to 'keep' Trump. I'm offering my prediction of what I think will happen, not what I want to happen.
Mmmm hmmm.

I said the Democrats' only chance was a financial crash which would damage Trump's record on the economy. It's less obvious that would the case with the current pandemic - an unprecedented, artificial suppression of the economy at the government's behest - but with Sanders as the nominee and many Trump voters in swing states hurting financially then that would've been their best shot. As it is the fix was in for Biden and there's no way a man who now struggles to string a sentence together is going to win the presidency during a time of national crisis.
No, that's not what you said. This is what you said:

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I do not because, short of an economic disaster between now and November, Trump is going to win.
This was in answer to a conversation about which one, Bernie or Biden, could beat Trump. After some dithering, you finally said neither one of them could beat Trump and only an economic disaster could beat Trump.

Now we have an economic disaster and you're still saying it is inevitable that Trump will win. So you were either making up nonsense then or you are making up nonsense now. Actually, both the former and the latter are true because --- YOU DON'T KNOW. Nobody knows. You state things as fact because you want others to accept you as an authority and believe what you're saying. It is a Trump strategy to hopefully keep people demoralized and voter turnout down. This strategy is being aggressively unleashed by the Republican party and you are pushing their talking points. You certainly have every right to do so but don't pretend otherwise.

Last edited by Leslie; Apr 14th 2020 at 6:04 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 10:37 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of people who can't string a sentence together. Is he senile? Is he drunk? Has his Adderall worn off? Does he have dementia? Is he having a stroke right in front of us?

I'm not a doctor but I'm going to go ahead and disqualify him from the presidency right now.

Old Apr 14th 2020, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Now getting wider coverage:

We need to talk about Biden’s sexual assault accusations, not celebrities feuding

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ons-tara-reade

Old Apr 15th 2020, 2:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Seems like the Democrats did well in the debacle of the Wisconsin election. Was that predicted in polls? Was this a reaction against Trump? Anything to take away from that?
I doubt it. No Republican primary per se, but still something of a Democratic primary. Plus Democratic voters were pissed off that the 5-4 Supreme Court decision meant the election wasn’t postponed.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I doubt it. No Republican primary per se, but still something of a Democratic primary. Plus Democratic voters were pissed off that the 5-4 Supreme Court decision meant the election wasn’t postponed.
Extremely unlikely. Downballot races attract very little interest and the vast majority of Wisconsin voters couldn't name a single person on their State Supreme Court. Plus, without a counterbalancing Republican primary, there was likely a stark turnout gap in what is already traditionally, if perhaps nominally in the current context, a Blue State.

Sometimes you can extrapolate a trend from a Senate, Governor, or House race, but downballot court races are not harbingers of anything. The media is going to be trying to turn every minor local race from here on out into a bellweather. Be very wary.

Scott Walker won a recall election there, easily, on the same day that Barack Obama also won going away in Wisconsin.

Last edited by carcajou; Apr 15th 2020 at 3:29 am.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 11:24 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
Speaking of people who can't string a sentence together. Is he senile? Is he drunk? Has his Adderall worn off? Does he have dementia? Is he having a stroke right in front of us?

I'm not a doctor but I'm going to go ahead and disqualify him from the presidency right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IszsL1iSas8
Loathe the man and we've obviously seen all the clips before but that video would have had much more impact without the canned laughter. Why on earth did they do that? (Rhetorical question obviously) Oh and I'm no medical expert, not even with regards to my own issues but for whatever reason, Trump is most definitely not of sound mind. (I'm not convinced anyone who wants that sort of power is.)
Old Apr 15th 2020, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Extremely unlikely. Downballot races attract very little interest and the vast majority of Wisconsin voters couldn't name a single person on their State Supreme Court. Plus, without a counterbalancing Republican primary, there was likely a stark turnout gap in what is already traditionally, if perhaps nominally in the current context, a Blue State.

Sometimes you can extrapolate a trend from a Senate, Governor, or House race, but downballot court races are not harbingers of anything. The media is going to be trying to turn every minor local race from here on out into a bellweather. Be very wary.

Scott Walker won a recall election there, easily, on the same day that Barack Obama also won going away in Wisconsin.
So what was the point in Republicans forcing people out into a lock down to vote on the issue? If they were going to lose anyway, why bother? And I'm not buying that any politicians these days are doing it on strict Constitutional principles.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
So what was the point in Republicans forcing people out into a lock down to vote on the issue? If they were going to lose anyway, why bother? And I'm not buying that any politicians these days are doing it on strict Constitutional principles.
Not sure what your point is. Sometimes battle lines are drawn over other issues, like gubernatorial reach vs legislative reach, or Republicans not wanting to set a precedent where a Democratic governor gets to arbitrarily move an election date, or a governor not wanting a Republican court to get involved in state administrative issues. Or vice versa or whatever. That's why bother. It's a mistake to constantly try and boil these things down to red-blue horse race cheerleading - especially in a race this minor.

If you want a bellweather, look at some of the Senate polling. Just quickly looking at the Big Board I would put out there Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, New Hampshire, and New Mexico. Doug Jones will likely lose in Alabama, but that's not the bellweather, the bellweather is what's the margin? In an Alabama Senate race the Republicans should win by double digits, if people like Jones are keeping the margin in single digits that would be an indicator of trouble in the South for Trump. Arizona is not usually Democratic-friendly; if Martha McSally runs into trouble, and at the same time New Mexico's seat is trending safely Democratic in Tom Udall's open seat, then that would be a good omen for the Democrats in the Southwest. Or in Colorado if Cory Gardner is not really able to run a competitive race. If Joni Ernst runs into trouble unexpectedly in Iowa that would also be a sign of trouble for Trump in the Upper Midwest - though as an established incumbent who won easily in 2014, I wouldn't necessarily say her being safe indicated a whole lot either.

Things like that are what you are looking for, trends and patterns in major races that will break partisan. Not things like anonymous state court races.

The red-blue horsecrap emotional cheerleading does not run anywhere near as deep in society at large, as it does in this forum.

Old Apr 15th 2020, 2:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Loathe the man and we've obviously seen all the clips before but that video would have had much more impact without the canned laughter. Why on earth did they do that? (Rhetorical question obviously) Oh and I'm no medical expert, not even with regards to my own issues but for whatever reason, Trump is most definitely not of sound mind. (I'm not convinced anyone who wants that sort of power is.)
We now have a system in which no normal person would want to play or could play.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.