2020 Election

Old Feb 22nd 2019, 8:34 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Same way you would hack down one tree while avoiding the whole forest I reckon.
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 8:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am having an issue with understanding what the expectation is, so you have created an essentially unlimited supply of cheap labour, what is the long term plan? What does this future society look like?

We have been talking about the GND, the need for affordable housing, how will this impact US Housing, Healthcare, Food, Energy.
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 8:43 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Same way you would hack down one tree while avoiding the whole forest I reckon.
I wouldn't want Boiler for my dentist.
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 8:50 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I am having an issue with understanding what the expectation is, so you have created an essentially unlimited supply of cheap labour, what is the long term plan? What does this future society look like?

We have been talking about the GND, the need for affordable housing, how will this impact US Housing, Healthcare, Food, Energy.
It doesn't take much imagination ... it's the way the country has operated since its founding. The issue seems to be with melanin content, not cheap labor. Yes, many will stay. Yes, many will raise their families here and future generations will not be laborers. Just like in previous generations with Germans, Italians, Irish, Chinese etc etc, ad nauseam, infinitum. And, YES, the country may become more brown (sowwy!) but, unless white people start having more babies, that's going to happen anyway. Just deal with it.

Last edited by Leslie; Feb 22nd 2019 at 8:54 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 9:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Leslie
It doesn't take much imagination ... it's the way the country has operated since its founding. The issue seems to be with melanin content, not cheap labor. Yes, many will stay. Yes, many will raise their families here and future generations will not be laborers. Just like in previous generations with Germans, Italians, Irish, Chinese etc etc, ad nauseam, infinitum. And, YES, the country may become more brown (sowwy!) but, unless white people start having more babies, that's going to happen anyway. Just deal with it.
Got to laugh, who mentioned colour?

Anyway just to give you some numbers Asia has 4.5 Billion people, 3x that of Africa and 7x that of the Americas so I would expect it to get Yellower not Browner.

Colorado had a native population of 8,000 before the Pikes Peak rush now it is getting on for 6 million.

Agricultural production has increased, and from what I can gather we produce 10% of our food requirements but there is a big switch of water to non agricultural purposes. Sadly nobody has worked out how to increase the water supply to match.

Probably not that many people on here are familiar with Colorado, let's look at California, lets keep it within reason, the population doubles, what does that look like?

Old Feb 22nd 2019, 10:34 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Boiler
Got to laugh, who mentioned colour?

Anyway just to give you some numbers Asia has 4.5 Billion people, 3x that of Africa and 7x that of the Americas so I would expect it to get Yellower not Browner.

Colorado had a native population of 8,000 before the Pikes Peak rush now it is getting on for 6 million.

Agricultural production has increased, and from what I can gather we produce 10% of our food requirements but there is a big switch of water to non agricultural purposes. Sadly nobody has worked out how to increase the water supply to match.

Probably not that many people on here are familiar with Colorado, let's look at California, lets keep it within reason, the population doubles, what does that look like?
The color issue wasn't directed at you specifically but rather the entire collective "Build The Wall" coalition. Regardless, you don't have to mention color when talking about migrants from the South --- it is intrinsic.

What are you talking about? What proof do you have that the population of California will double? Supply and demand. Unless there is enough work for a gazillion laborers then there won't be a gazillion laborers there.
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 10:51 pm
Account Closed

The color issue wasn't directed at you specifically but rather the entire collective "Build The Wall" coalition. Regardless, you don't have to mention color when talking about migrants from the South --- it is intrinsic.

What are you talking about? What proof do you have that the population of California will double? Supply and demand. Unless there is enough work for a gazillion laborers then there won't be a gazillion laborers there.
Because it has doubled twice since 1945? Plenty of people still alive who were born when California had a population of 10m.

If you look to the past people immigrated to the US in hope I would imagine most did not have a job to go to, with an expectation that it would be better than the situation they were in. There are Billions who could have that view now, so do you scratch around in poverty in say India or try your luck California? I know what I would do.

Old Feb 23rd 2019, 12:10 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Methinks not.
Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Not really. He declared in June 2015 and from that point on your argument has some substance.
Yeah, that's my thinking - 2014 is quite different than 2015. Even then, how many took him seriously from the very moment he declared?

2014 would be a conservative estimate. The left had been laying into ever since he got involved in promoting the Obama birther conspiracy. Obama roasted him for doing so at the White House Correspondents Dinner in 2011. By 2014 he was dropping heavy hints that he would run and Jon Stewart kept begging him to on the Daily Show for the supposed comedic value. Unsurprisingly Stewart's kept a low profile since then.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
... Jon Stewart kept begging him to on the Daily Show for the supposed comedic value. Unsurprisingly Stewart's kept a low profile since then.
Oh my I do remember those Daily Show episodes! I used to look forward to The Daily Show followed by The Colbert Report ...
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 12:56 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by BritInParis
2014 would be a conservative estimate. The left had been laying into ever since he got involved in promoting the Obama birther conspiracy. Obama roasted him for doing so at the White House Correspondents Dinner in 2011. By 2014 he was dropping heavy hints that he would run and Jon Stewart kept begging him to on the Daily Show for the supposed comedic value. Unsurprisingly Stewart's kept a low profile since then.
You're speaking narrowly about what was happening on TV shows ... that's not real life. Donald Trump did outrageous things to get attention --- then he got some attention. That doesn't translate into "the left was obsessed with him". The left wasn't "obsessed" with him until much later.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 12:58 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Oh my I do remember those Daily Show episodes! I used to look forward to The Daily Show followed by The Colbert Report ...
Good stuff.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 1:06 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You're speaking narrowly about what was happening on TV shows ... that's not real life. Donald Trump did outrageous things to get attention --- then he got some attention. That doesn't translate into "the left was obsessed with him". The left wasn't "obsessed" with him until much later.
What’s your yardstick?
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 1:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I think the "Medicare For All" is a terrible way to promote healthcare reform. It needs to be "Healthcare For All" followed by reasonable options for people who are under 65 to opt-in to a single payer system. When I look at how much I pay per year for the healthcare that I get through work, for pre-deductible services, co-pays and coinsurance, plus what I contribute to a HSA account ---- I'd be thrilled just to get those numbers down. Either through paying more in taxes but not having to buy insurance, or simply paying for a less expensive policy that doesn't take such a huge chunk of my salary. Extortionist healthcare is, IMO, one of the main reasons that the middle class can't realize the same financial security as in previous generations. Healthcare simply should not cost this much.
Hopefully the dems will find a way to 'brand' what they are aiming for - "Healthcare for all", '"Healthcare for more", "Single Payer Healthcare" ... none of which even begin to convey the point you are making - what you are talking about is AFFORDABLE healthcare. Hey - there's a thought ... Affordable Care ... where have I heard that before? Maybe "Affordable Care For All" - ACFA. Maybe we can have "SandersCare", "HarrisCare", "O'RourkeCare" ... or even, "KlobucharCare" ... or "AnyoneButTrumpCare".

Sadly, I think we have to separate 'what we want' from 'what we can get' - what we can realistically hope for. In some ways, the ACA (Affordable Care Act), aka 'Obamacare', was the 'best they could do' at the time. Obama clearly wanted single-payer but compromised to get the Insurance Companies on board, to reduce their resistance. Have times changed enough since then? 10 years or so have passed since then, and now the population is a bit more educated about what the issues are, what 'pre-existing conditions' really means, etc. But - has there been enough of a shift to overcome concerns (among swing voters in swing states, which is all that really matters) about the government 'taking over' healthcare, about higher taxes? I'm not convinced.

Clearly some are convinced - Zargof thinks we need bold proposals to entice the otherwise apathetic voters to show up and vote; I believe there's enough concern in the 'middle' that a proposal that is too bold will fail. I'd like to see us do everything we can to get more people insured, and to get the rates / costs down so people can actually USE the insurance they get. Does that require taking away what is already a 'successful/popular' (relatively speaking) option in the form of employer-provided group healthcare? I hope not because I think that would upset too many people - based on the statistics I posted a few pages ago. 2020 Election

Last edited by Steerpike; Feb 23rd 2019 at 1:39 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 9:18 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I read an article earlier in the week suggesting that the best model for the US would be the German model, since it incorporates public/private options that wouldn't mean putting an entire industry out of business.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get to vote in the primary because, in Texas, you have to be registered as a Dem/Repub to participate.
Can you not register as a "Independent" ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.