British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   2020 Election (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/2020-election-919243/)

Steerpike Nov 12th 2018 8:29 pm

2020 Election

Now the 2018 mid-terms are over, it's time to get ready for the big-one ... the 2020 Election, when Trump will be up for re-election.

I've been in shock / denial over Trump's victory ever since 2016, avoiding most political discussion but I'm desperately hoping that the Democrats can get their act together for 2020 and put up a candidate who can beat Trump (and strengthen their position in Congress). You'd think it wouldn't be that hard but the Democrats do seem to have the ability to shoot themselves in the foot, and Trump does seem to have a teflon coating of sorts.

If there's one thing I learned from 2016 it is not to underestimate Trump. If the economy is still strong, he can still win. Remember all the celebrities, 'experts', commentators, pollsters, and even BE folk, who refused to take Trump seriously?

In My Humble Opinion, in order to win in 2020 the Democrats must find a presidential candidate who is charismatic above all else. That is what Obama had going for him (and Bill Clinton) more than anything else. And by 'charisma' I include the ability to speak eloquently at length.

So without further ado, I will state my personal current hope that the Democratic candidate is Kamala Harris, the current Senator from CA. This article https://qz.com/1129587/democrats-can...aign-strategy/ suggests she has the right credentials. Maybe Joe Biden could pull it off ... though he's really too old at this point. I think Bernie would be a disaster; he has a certain 'authenticity', but he is never going to get the independents in my view. Beto O'Rourke? Maybe just a touch TOO inexperienced.

This article talks about Cory Booker, and also lists 10 possible candidates; Harris is #3 on their list, Booker #5. https://www.nj.com/politics/index.ss...and_other.html

Elizabeth Warren is #1 on the list above; she doesn't inspire me but hey, if she's the nominee then she'll get my vote.

On the republican side, Jeff Flake would actually be a welcomed participant ... https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...0-trump-980914 ... but his chances in the primaries would be slim, given his vocal opposition to Trump.

tom169 Nov 12th 2018 8:38 pm

Re: 2020 Election

I'll always give Obama credit for his ability to speak.

dakota44 Nov 12th 2018 8:48 pm

I like Kamala and would not be disappointed with her as a candidate. This election saw the largest turnout ever of milenials and young voters. Loads of first time voters as well. Who did they vote for on the Dem side? Not the older crew with very rare exception. They went younger and with a lot of women as well as racial diversity. That should be the message the Dems understand. Enough of the aged old folks. I like Joe, but hope he does not run. Bernie had his candidate fame and has fallen well behind in candidate polls. Clinton is hinting and should just go away. I want younger, progressive with ability and charisma. I do not mind Beto at all. He clearly is popular and knowledgeable and draws strong support. Sadly the primaries will likely see a huge list of candidates and a lot of damage will be done in the fight for the nomination. Some people need to accept they have no chance and stay out of it.

scrubbedexpat099 Nov 12th 2018 8:52 pm

It would be nice to have a Native American contender.

Ingles Nov 12th 2018 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12592424)
I'll always give Obama credit for his ability to speak.

Gone but not forgotten !

dakota44 Nov 12th 2018 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12592437)
It would be nice to have a Native American contender.

So now you are going to troll this thread?

scrubbedexpat099 Nov 12th 2018 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by dakota44 (Post 12592441)
So now you are going to troll this thread?

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...r-adviser-says

Article from yesterday about a potential runner.

scrubbedexpat099 Nov 12th 2018 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Ingles (Post 12592438)
Gone but not forgotten !

Your signature seems apt.

rpjs Nov 12th 2018 9:21 pm

If I were a betting man, I'd put a few bucks on Sen Amy Klobuchar of MN.

scrubbedexpat099 Nov 12th 2018 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 12592452)
If I were a betting man, I'd put a few bucks on Sen Amy Klobuchar of MN.

Now that makes more sense, Kamala is too far out there, well makes sense with her electorate but would not play well nationally.

dakota44 Nov 12th 2018 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12592444)
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...r-adviser-says

Article from yesterday about a potential runner.

I already read that, which is why I basically stated she should just go away.

scrubbedexpat099 Nov 12th 2018 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by dakota44 (Post 12592456)
I already read that, which is why I basically stated she should just go away.

There is a Richard somebody who has just announced.

According to that article she has a 75% favourability rating.

BritInParis Nov 12th 2018 9:37 pm

None of the current Democrat ‘front runners’ are going to get anywhere near Trump if they continue to let him control the political conversation whilst they pursue narrow identitarian politics. Whilst a successful economy is important to his political narrative if it starts to slide then the Democrats taking control of the House gives Trump a ready made excuse.

scrubbedexpat099 Nov 12th 2018 9:41 pm

It is the old dilemma of what you need to win locally vs what you need to do to win your Party nomination vs win Nationally.

More difficult to fudge in this era.

robin1234 Nov 12th 2018 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12592455)
Now that makes more sense, Kamala is too far out there, well makes sense with her electorate but would not play well nationally.

Kamala Harris, "too far out there" ? I like her, but but any conventional measure she's conservative & establishment.

scrubbedexpat099 Nov 12th 2018 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12592464)
Kamala Harris, "too far out there" ? I like her, but but any conventional measure she's conservative & establishment.

She would be an easy target, wanted to abolish ICE now wants reform it.

San Fran etc.

Steerpike Nov 12th 2018 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12592459)
None of the current Democrat ‘front runners’ are going to get anywhere near Trump if they continue to let him control the political conversation whilst they pursue narrow identitarian politics. Whilst a successful economy is important to his political narrative if it starts to slide then the Democrats taking control of the House gives Trump a ready made excuse.

I thought about that too; if the republicans had control of house and senate, AND the economy is bad, then you can blame it on the republicans/Trump. But with the dems in control of the house, they do open themselves up for blame on the economy. But - the voters are not generally all that sophisticated in this area and a bad economy is just a bad economy, so it may not hurt them much. In truth, the good economy is not exactly of Trump's doing either, but the voters won't 'get' that either.

BritInParis Nov 12th 2018 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 12592477)
I thought about that too; if the republicans had control of house and senate, AND the economy is bad, then you can blame it on the republicans/Trump. But with the dems in control of the house, they do open themselves up for blame on the economy. But - the voters are not generally all that sophisticated in this area and a bad economy is just a bad economy, so it may not hurt them much. In truth, the good economy is not exactly of Trump's doing either, but the voters won't 'get' that either.

There’s also this:

Hillary will run again - The Wall Street Journal

:blink:

scrubbedexpat099 Nov 12th 2018 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12592478)

Reinventing herself as a liberal firebrand, Mrs. Clinton will easily capture the 2020 nomination.

Hmmm

tom169 Nov 12th 2018 10:54 pm

:goodpost:

paulry Nov 13th 2018 4:35 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12592478)

:blink: Trump is so going to win hands down.

vespucci Nov 13th 2018 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 12592420)
Now the 2018 mid-terms are over, it's time to get ready for the big-one ... the 2020 Election, when Trump will be up for re-election.

I've been in shock / denial over Trump's victory ever since 2016, avoiding most political discussion but I'm desperately hoping that the Democrats can get their act together for 2020 and put up a candidate who can beat Trump (and strengthen their position in Congress). You'd think it wouldn't be that hard but the Democrats do seem to have the ability to shoot themselves in the foot, and Trump does seem to have a teflon coating of sorts.

If there's one thing I learned from 2016 it is not to underestimate Trump. If the economy is still strong, he can still win. Remember all the celebrities, 'experts', commentators, pollsters, and even BE folk, who refused to take Trump seriously?

I don't think Trump will run again. He can't be enjoying himself with so much of the media constantly attacking him. Melania has said she's one of the most bullied people in the world. And Trump doesn't believe in an ideology in pursuit of which he'd be prepared to suffer 4 more years. He's achieved his "win" of being president and he'll say that he's made America great again and now it's others' turn to take over. So I think the Democrats will be facing someone other than Trump.

Ingles Nov 13th 2018 9:57 am

Originally Posted by vespucci (Post 12592564)
I don't think Trump will run again. He can't be enjoying himself with so much of the media constantly attacking him. Melania has said she's one of the most bullied people in the world. And Trump doesn't believe in an ideology in pursuit of which he'd be prepared to suffer 4 more years. He's achieved his "win" of being president and he'll say that he's made America great again and now it's others' turn to take over. So I think the Democrats will be facing someone other than Trump.

As it now look's , Trump could be doing time in the Big House before this term is over!
" you can bullshit some people some off the time , but you can't bullshit every body all off the time!
Bye bye Donny ,you wont be missed :drinkingwine:

civilservant Nov 13th 2018 11:07 am

His ego will not allow him to walk away. People will call him a coward, and he won't stand that. Not to mention the fact that he has already filed for re-election and has over $100 million in a 'warchest' ready to go. He needs to prove to himself as much as anything that his election wasn't a fluke.

With respect to the Dem nominee, I really have no idea who it will be. I think Biden would have a decent shot, simply because I can see him getting down in the muck with Trump. I hope Beto O'Rourke runs, just because he is the most charismatic Dem I have seen pretty much since Obama however is main down side is that he would drag the conversation to the far left where he probably can't win.

BritInParis Nov 13th 2018 11:53 am

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12592657)
His ego will not allow him to walk away. People will call him a coward, and he won't stand that. Not to mention the fact that he has already filed for re-election and has over $100 million in a 'warchest' ready to go. He needs to prove to himself as much as anything that his election wasn't a fluke.

Agreed. Trump never stopped campaigning - he’s still holding rallies and fundraising - and the only thing that is going to stop him carrying on indefinitely is the 22nd Amendment.

With respect to the Dem nominee, I really have no idea who it will be. I think Biden would have a decent shot, simply because I can see him getting down in the muck with Trump. I hope Beto O'Rourke runs, just because he is the most charismatic Dem I have seen pretty much since Obama however is main down side is that he would drag the conversation to the far left where he probably can't win.
Biden has too many skeletons in the closet, similar to Hillary. You’d need someone young and relatively inexperienced to avoid that problem. Obama had only served in the Senate for two years when he announced his Presidential campaign and he was up against McCain so being able to portray yourself as a political ‘outsider’ is a strength rather than a weakness against Trump.

Charisma is definitely a requirement, or at least being seen as ‘real’ is important. Whatever else you may think about them, Trump could do that and Hillary could not. O’Rourke is probably the best the Democrats can offer right now if he can park his tanks on the centre ground but as it stands I still don’t think that will be enough.

robin1234 Nov 13th 2018 12:24 pm

I agree with you that there is a real possibility that President Trump won't be running in 2020 for re-election. All the reasons you mention, plus the possibility of a decline in health due to age/stress/unhealthy lifestyle. He just needs to be a couple of rungs further down on the "doddery old fool" scale, to not be a viable candidate.

In terms of a democrat, I see the New Yorker have a major article in the current issue touting Deval Patrick. I know a few people in MA who weren't super enthusiastic about him, I'll be reading the article tonight though....

scrubbedexpat099 Nov 13th 2018 1:37 pm

Local TV news just covered the running of Hillary 4.0

rpjs Nov 13th 2018 1:52 pm

But in what way is Trump's politics not white, male identitarian?

BritInParis Nov 13th 2018 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 12592731)
But in what way is Trump's politics not white, male identitarian?

I didn’t say they weren’t (although more white women voted for Trump than Clinton). The key word was ‘narrow’.

dakota44 Nov 13th 2018 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12592722)
Local TV news just covered the running of Hillary 4.0

She needs to walk away. Frankly, I think she would get bludgeoned in the primary anyway. She had her 2 chances, Clinton fatigue has set in.

Octang Frye Nov 13th 2018 5:43 pm

I don't think you can beat Ronald Reagan for his ability to deliver a speech. Watch how he addressed the nation (and NASA and schoolchildren in particular) in his address following the Challenger disaster.
It's considered a classic.

Oakvillian Nov 13th 2018 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 12592846)
I don't think you can beat Ronald Reagan for his ability to deliver a speech. Watch how he addressed the nation (and NASA and schoolchildren in particular) in his address following the Challenger disaster.

Indeed. He was, to be fair, an actor, so delivering prepared lines well in a controlled environment in front of a camera was pretty much his stock-in-trade. He even has the sympathetic-head-tilt thing down to a tee.

None of this "thoughts and prayers" nonsense. A very well written speech, impeccably delivered: considered and meaningful words, spoken in a tone of respect, even as they were making a very Cold-War-focused political point ("We don’t hide our space program. We don’t keep secrets and cover things up. We do it all up front and in public. That’s the way freedom is, and we wouldn’t change it for a minute.")

How very different from the puerile and barely coherent twitterings of the current incumbent.

Octang Frye Nov 13th 2018 6:45 pm

Just the whole tone is crazy currently. The lack of respect - all round. Trump says something inflammatory. Maxine Waters counters, "shut your mouth". To the POTUS. Wow.
Can you imagine someone saying that 20 years ago? Even 10?

Octang Frye Nov 13th 2018 6:47 pm

Btw, I think this is the first time we have ever agreed on anything. Pat yourself on the back, you commie pinko Marxist Leninist tootle-bag.

Leslie Nov 13th 2018 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 12592879)
Just the whole tone is crazy currently. The lack of respect - all round. Trump says something inflammatory. Maxine Waters counters, "shut your mouth". To the POTUS. Wow.
Can you imagine someone saying that 20 years ago? Even 10?

I don't have to imagine. Nine years ago ago, Joe Wilson shouted "you lie" at President Obama during a joint session of congress. I was shocked when that happened ... nothing shocks me any more.

BritInParis Nov 13th 2018 11:24 pm

The quality of the political debate has been in decline for a long time in the US.

Reagan was indeed the Great Communicator. I personally rate ‘A Time for Choosing’ as one of his best, the last five minutes in particular. JFK also was very memorable; his inauguration speech (“Ask not what your country can do for you...”) and his address to Rice University regarding the Apollo space programme. In retrospect Obama was not a particular great orator, despite being lauded as such at the time, it’s just the bar had been set so comparatively low by Bush Jr.

dakota44 Nov 13th 2018 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12593051)
The quality of the political debate has been in decline for a long time in the US.

Reagan was indeed the Great Communicator. I personally rate ‘A Time for Choosing’ as one of his best, the last five minutes in particular. JFK also was very memorable; his inauguration speech (“Ask not what your country can do for you...”) and his address to Rice University regarding the Apollo space programme. In retrospect Obama was not a particular great orator, despite being lauded as such at the time, it’s just the bar had been set so comparatively low by Bush Jr.

In all fairness, Trump makes George W look like an oratorical genius. Just sayin. ������

BritInParis Nov 13th 2018 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by dakota44 (Post 12593057)
In all fairness, Trump makes George W look like an oratorical genius. Just sayin. ������

No disagreement here. It is curious how much Bush looks like the elder statesman with the Donald in the West Wing.

scrubbedexpat099 Nov 14th 2018 5:30 am

I see Alexandria is not happy about the new Amazon operation in NY.

2020?

The new Obama?

Steerpike Nov 14th 2018 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 12592846)

I hate to say it, but I agree we can learn something from old Ronnie!