2020 Election

Old Oct 14th 2020, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by civilservant
Personally I think if you can vote early you should. What happens if your car breaks down on election day? Or your kid is sick? Or a tropical storm is coming through? Or a pipe bursts?

Leaving voting to one day only is limiting the franchise IMO.

Here is GA it's 2 weeks of M-F and one Saturday. Plenty of time.
I suppose so. Are the people working at the early voting sites all full-time county employees? Many of the people who normally work the polls on election day are in their late 60s and 70s, at higher risk for COVID. So maybe staffing is one reason to reduce the number of early-voting locations this year.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 1:18 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I can only speak for my 'neck of the woods' but yes, there are full time county staff at the early voting election, since it is the election office. Early voting is being held in a smaller location than election day will be held at here.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 1:20 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HDWill
I suppose the main point of early voting in person is to benefit people who have inflexible jobs etc who just can't get away to vote on election day. So if you vote early just because you're really eager to vote, you could potentially make it harder for others (by adding to a long queue) who really need to vote early. But maybe there are some places where voting early is usually faster than voting on election day?

Early voting has been promoted this year as a way to avoid covid transmission by reducing the number of people crowded in on Election Day. It kind of defeats the point if you can't manage to put on enough staff to prevent crowding on the early voting days. It isn't as though it was a surprise. Some people may well be put off, since many aren't able to get the amount of time off work needed to queue for hours. Yesterday was a Fed holiday so more people were able to go and vote - one can hope the queues were partially a function of that.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 1:21 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I can only speak for my 'neck of the woods' but yes, there are full time county staff at the early voting election, since it is the election office. Early voting is being held in a smaller location than election day will be held at here.

Cook County in IL is still recruiting for election judges from the community. And they are paid for the day, too. Covid has def put people off sitting in the polling places for a long day.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 1:45 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I read that Trump's postmaster has eliminated overtime for postal workers. The article also mentioned mail volume is down due to the economic slowdown. Even a big surge in mail-in ballots (spread out over several weeks) is a tiny percentage of what the USPS handles on a daily basis in terms of first-class and junk mail. Could mail be slower by one day in many cases? Sure.
There are more problems: Postmaster General Louis DeJoy is emerging from obscurity and into a glaring hot spotlight lately, raising alarms with aggressive new strategies that have upended the United States Postal Service just as it heads into possibly the most consequential moment of its history -- the great vote-by-mail election of 2020. DeJoy's administration has slowed delivery, removed high-speed letter sorters from commission and issued a stark warning to election officials that mail-in ballots will no longer automatically be moved as priority mail. On top of that, the USPS has started reducing post office operating hours across several states, cut overtime for postal workers and removed some of their iconic blue letter collection boxes.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/16/politics/dejoy-post-office-hot-seat-election-2020/index.html
Old Oct 14th 2020, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
There are more problems: Postmaster General Louis DeJoy is emerging from obscurity and into a glaring hot spotlight lately, raising alarms with aggressive new strategies that have upended the United States Postal Service just as it heads into possibly the most consequential moment of its history -- the great vote-by-mail election of 2020. DeJoy's administration has slowed delivery, removed high-speed letter sorters from commission and issued a stark warning to election officials that mail-in ballots will no longer automatically be moved as priority mail. On top of that, the USPS has started reducing post office operating hours across several states, cut overtime for postal workers and removed some of their iconic blue letter collection boxes.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/16/politics/dejoy-post-office-hot-seat-election-2020/index.html
The USPS will get the job done. (Though not necessarily if you mail in your ballot only one day before election day-- for voters, Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance). They have huge automated systems that have been carefully worked out for years/decades. The much greater potential problem is the county elections offices, who are just a few people in a room. I've worked as a volunteer poll worker before and have known some county elections officials. Some of them aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 2:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a parcel coming that arrived in Denver yesterday, now seems it is in Cody, Wyoming. About 1 in 3 USPS go on a mystery trip. Not had an issue with UPS and one delay of consequence with FedEx.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
I have a parcel coming that arrived in Denver yesterday, now seems it is in Cody, Wyoming. About 1 in 3 USPS go on a mystery trip. Not had an issue with UPS and one delay of consequence with FedEx.
Parcels are handled quite differently compared to letter mail. Letter mail is generally less error prone (it is scanned and sorted all by machine with very low error rates). And mailed in ballots aren't going across the country in most cases.

I requested my absentee ballot a couple weeks ago and mailed in my ballot one week ago. I voted for all the Democrats. But I think there has been way too much catastrophizing on the left about the postal service. Will someone pull your ballot out the mail stream and throw it in the trash? No. Will mail be piled up in warehouses for a week without being delivered? No. Could some mail be slower by one day than it is normally? Potentially yes.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 2:38 pm
Account Closed

All the Parcels have printed labels. I do not relay on mail for bills etc, those that do have had no end of issues.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
All the Parcels have printed labels. I do not relay on mail for bills etc, those that do have had no end of issues.
I think there is still more room for human error with parcels. Yesterday Fedex delivered a package to my door that was supposed to go to a place down the street. I could Google it to get more precise data, but I think the misrouting/delay rate for the major package services is around 2-5%. I think the misroute rate for USPS letter mail is under 1%.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

The USPS will get the job done. (Though not necessarily if you mail in your ballot only one day before election day-- for voters, Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance). They have huge automated systems that have been carefully worked out for years/decades. The much greater potential problem is the county elections offices, who are just a few people in a room. I've worked as a volunteer poll worker before and have known some county elections officials. Some of them aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer.
The issue is not just the USPS, but the likelihood that after election day we will see a barrage of lawsuits from Trump to try and stop or limit counting of postal ballots. By hand delivering a ballot now or voting now, you are maximising the chance that you will not be subject to this nonsense. I'll be hand carrying my completed ballot to City Hall here in San Francisco, In fact, we'll make a morning of it - walk down there, drop off our ballots, enjoy a lunch out and walk home. And celebrate democracy with a glass of wine...

Last edited by Giantaxe; Oct 14th 2020 at 4:48 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 4:51 pm
Account Closed

This is not an essential delivery and it is quite fascinating watching it bounce around, probably will get it Saturday instead of today.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Oct 14th 2020 at 5:03 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
The issue is not just the USPS, but the likelihood that after election day we will see a barrage of lawsuits from Trump to try and stop or limit counting of postal ballots. By hand delivering a ballot now or voting now, you are maximising the chance that you will not be subject to this nonsense. I'll be hand carrying my completed ballot to City Hall here in San Francisco, In fact, we'll make a morning of it - walk down there, drop off our ballots, enjoy a lunch out and walk home. And celebrate democracy with a glass of wine...
What technicalities does hand delivering a ballot prevent? Does your ballot envelope require a signature, or witness etc? It's true that mailed in ballots received after election day could be contested if there's no visible postmark, but that is easily solved by mailing your ballot at least three business days before election day.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 6:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Long queues for early voting in places. 7 - 11 hours noted. Why? Part of it must be a lack of actual booths when you get inside. Voting for the President, plus a Senator or Congress rep or two if they're up this year doesn't take long. If you have to vote for judges it can take quite a while. I had pages of them and if you do any background work on them at all you do have a lot of names to wade through in larger areas anyway. Still, there's no excuse for such long waits.

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-54532189

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...box=1602591858

Suppose it depends on state, ever seen a California ballot......

This year in my California county isn't too bad, only 22 things or offices to vote on.

US President
House of Representative
Member of State Assembly
Judge of the superior court
County board of education
A community college board of education seat
elementary school district board member x 2
County board of supervistor seat
Props 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25

Took me about 20 minutes to complete referencing my notes I took during my 2 hours of researching everyone and all the props.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 6:27 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Did they get all the phony ballot drop boxes in California picked up, and are there any charges coming from that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.