2020 Election

Old Sep 22nd 2020, 3:07 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by zzrmark
No idea. Keep it under your hat or I'll never hear the last of it from certain posters but I found the link on a Conservative reddit thread.

It's ok, you're forgiven There is a huge difference between intelligent conservative philosophy and criticism, and half-witted right-wing nationalist and bigoted garbage.

I took classes from Garry Wills when I was at uni, another intelligent conservative writer. He used to rip the Reagan administration on many counts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garry_Wills

Old Sep 22nd 2020, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
It's ok, you're forgiven There is a huge difference between intelligent conservative philosophy and criticism, and half-witted right-wing nationalist and bigoted garbage.

I took classes from Garry Wills when I was at uni, another intelligent conservative writer. He used to rip the Reagan administration on many counts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garry_Wills
Oh, it's not like that at all, there wasn't anything intelligent about these arseholes.
I like to remember the following when I'm trying to reading their bullshit: "If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle." Courtesy of Sun Tzu.
Old Sep 23rd 2020, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
He's got an eye for a spectacularly good phrase. Nothing much to disagree with in the sentiment as well. A good read - thanks to Hiro11 for the article and zzrmark for the non-paywall link!

Best quip for me was where he talked about how Biden should have had State (with Hillary as its Secretary) have a word with Hunter about the appropriateness of his Ukrainian gig. But he didn't, and there were negative conseqences, thus proving the adage "Spare the Rodham, spoil the child."
A funny one for me was this: "Biden may have social-distancing issues of a pre-pandemic, post-#MeToo sort."

Old Sep 23rd 2020, 12:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Got my ballot link and code today to access my ballot online. Only 16 propositions this time around.

Old Sep 23rd 2020, 6:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I am impressed with the ballot this year for my area, they managed to get everything onto 1 sheet of paper, so now I simply have to mail back 2 sheets, the ballot, and the oath-signature sheet.

2016 was like 8 or 9 pages in total.

Still have to mail or fax it back though, maybe someday there will be an electronic means to return it that doesn't require a fax machine.
Old Sep 23rd 2020, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I am impressed with the ballot this year for my area, they managed to get everything onto 1 sheet of paper, so now I simply have to mail back 2 sheets, the ballot, and the oath-signature sheet.

2016 was like 8 or 9 pages in total.

Still have to mail or fax it back though, maybe someday there will be an electronic means to return it that doesn't require a fax machine.
We went for the mail-in option for the presidential primaries and will again for the general. I'm wary about using the postal system to return my ballot so will drop it off at an early voting center again, obviously not an option for you out of state/country. I liked that the polling station had the box outside with the greeter so that I did not have to enter the building. More so, I like that I can easily track my ballot on the county's elections website, I could check to see when it arrived at the elections office and, more importantly, when it had been counted.
Now, just waiting for the blasted thing to arrive in the post...
Old Sep 23rd 2020, 3:16 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

We went for the mail-in option for the presidential primaries and will again for the general. I'm wary about using the postal system to return my ballot so will drop it off at an early voting center again, obviously not an option for you out of state/country. I liked that the polling station had the box outside with the greeter so that I did not have to enter the building. More so, I like that I can easily track my ballot on the county's elections website, I could check to see when it arrived at the elections office and, more importantly, when it had been counted.
Now, just waiting for the blasted thing to arrive in the post...

I'm also waiting for mine, but I believe they are not expected until October. I can/will still go and vote in person if it doesn't show up.
Old Sep 23rd 2020, 3:17 pm

Oh, it's not like that at all, there wasn't anything intelligent about these arseholes.
I like to remember the following when I'm trying to reading their bullshit: "If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle." Courtesy of Sun Tzu.

Yes, completely agree on knowing the enemy, but some of that stuff is really hard to wade through. Facebook is a complete cesspit, for example.
Old Sep 23rd 2020, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...a-redux-420275

This is why absentee and mail-in voting isn't great. Not only is it far more labor intensive, but you can end up with situations where 5% of ballots are rejected because a lot of people are dumb or not detail oriented. In-person voting is far more dummy-proof and efficient.
Old Sep 23rd 2020, 4:44 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HDWill
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...a-redux-420275

This is why absentee and mail-in voting isn't great. Not only is it far more labor intensive, but you can end up with situations where 5% of ballots are rejected because a lot of people are dumb or not detail oriented. In-person voting is far more dummy-proof and efficient.
And dumb people voting is good why?
Old Sep 23rd 2020, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
And dumb people voting is good why?
Maybe I should have just said "mistake prone." Good systems in any field reduce the chance of human error. In-person electronic voting for instance is more dummy-proof than in the past. (Remember the poorly designed ballot in Florida in 2000 that caused people who intended to vote for Gore to actually cast votes for Pat Buchanan?). Mail-in paper ballots have so many more chances of human error.
Old Sep 23rd 2020, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe I should have just said "mistake prone." Good systems in any field reduce the chance of human error. In-person electronic voting for instance is more dummy-proof than in the past. (Remember the poorly designed ballot in Florida in 2000 that caused people who intended to vote for Gore to actually cast votes for Pat Buchanan?). Mail-in paper ballots have so many more chances of human error.
I should have thought it the other way around. I suppose you can talk to the staff if you have a problem but I always feel like I should be in and out especially when it's busy. At home I can sit down, utilize my English language skills, chat with the missus, research any names I'm not familiar with (US presidential is obviously different as I should have a pretty good idea after 18 months of non-stop b/s tv ads!!) and just take my time...and then I can play the dutiful husband and make sure the wife's is correctly filled out...
Old Sep 23rd 2020, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

I should have thought it the other way around. I suppose you can talk to the staff if you have a problem but I always feel like I should be in and out especially when it's busy. At home I can sit down, utilize my English language skills, chat with the missus, research any names I'm not familiar with (US presidential is obviously different as I should have a pretty good idea after 18 months of non-stop b/s tv ads!!) and just take my time...and then I can play the dutiful husband and make sure the wife's is correctly filled out...
Sure, if you're very careful and detail oriented, it's not a problem. But as far as the population as a whole...

An article in The Atlantic just came out discussing Trump's likely legal challenges to the election results, which will center on mail-in ballots in Democratic-heavy districts of swing states.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...oncede/616424/

"Mail-in ballots will have plenty of flaws for the Trump lawyers to seize upon. Voting by mail is more complicated than voting in person, and technical errors are common­place at each step. If voters supply a new address, or if they write a different version of their name (for example, by shortening Benjamin to Ben), or if their signature has changed over the years, or if they print their name on the signature line, or if they fail to seal the ballot inside an inner security envelope, their votes may not count. With in-person voting, a poll worker in the precinct can resolve small errors like these, for instance by directing a voter to the correct signature line, but people voting by mail may have no opportunity to address them."
Old Sep 23rd 2020, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sure, if you're very careful and detail oriented, it's not a problem. But as far as the population as a whole...

An article in The Atlantic just came out discussing Trump's likely legal challenges to the election results, which will center on mail-in ballots in Democratic-heavy districts of swing states.

"Mail-in ballots will have plenty of flaws for the Trump lawyers to seize upon. Voting by mail is more complicated than voting in person, and technical errors are common­place at each step. If voters supply a new address, or if they write a different version of their name (for example, by shortening Benjamin to Ben), or if their signature has changed over the years, or if they print their name on the signature line, or if they fail to seal the ballot inside an inner security envelope, their votes may not count. With in-person voting, a poll worker in the precinct can resolve small errors like these, for instance by directing a voter to the correct signature line, but people voting by mail may have no opportunity to address them."
I suppose that brings us full circle back to Spoogledrummer's observation.

My part-time work colleague would probably struggle to cope with the literacy aspects of the mail-in system, more annoyingly I cannot get him to register to vote as he's of the view 'what did they ever do for me and nothing ever changes'. He doesn't seem to understand that the only way things will ever change is if more people like him get involved.
Old Sep 24th 2020, 2:15 am

And this, from that article.

“We are not prepared for this at all,” Julian Zelizer, a Prince­ton professor of history and public affairs, told me. “We talk about it, some worry about it, and we imagine what it would be. But few people have actual answers to what happens if the machinery of democracy is used to prevent a legitimate resolution to the election.”

He is referring to the fact we could get all the way to Inauguration Day with no result, due to endless legal challenges holding up the electoral college result. If this comes to pass it will not be good for this country. At all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.