2020 Election

Old Aug 20th 2020, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by Anian
Looks like I was wrong about the 180 - the sheriff department is still pursuing the assault case against the victim. Are they hoping for a blind jury or somehow blocking the footage that shows it was entirely one-sided? I hope he sues the whole department personally, so no public money is used and these corrupt police actually get some consequences for their actions.
Not according to the link I posted in #4003. I think it's the lawsuit by the Sheriff's Deputy that is ongoing, not legal action by the Alameda County DA.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I stand corrected; thought he was just a rent-a-cop. I guess I'm used to seeing police in full duty regalia, however his guy must have had his vest on to hold a body camera so I just wasn't paying attention.
If he was off duty as a cop, but moonlighting as a security guard (something I've heard happens a lot), then why would he be wearing a body camera? Was it a body cam issued to all security guards at the event, owned/operated by the event operators? If not, why would an off-duty cop be using is 'work issued' cam? And since he was off-duty, why would the police department even get involved? He was doing this 'in his spare time'. Strange.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 8:33 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
If he was off duty as a cop, but moonlighting as a security guard (something I've heard happens a lot), then why would he be wearing a body camera? Was it a body cam issued to all security guards at the event, owned/operated by the event operators? If not, why would an off-duty cop be using is 'work issued' cam? And since he was off-duty, why would the police department even get involved? He was doing this 'in his spare time'. Strange.
If he was moonlighting I'd expect it would have been mentioned by now. A high profile event like the NBA final probably rates a police presence. I would like to see some of the earlier video to check and see if he had POLICE on his back.... if so he was on government time.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

If he was moonlighting I'd expect it would have been mentioned by now. A high profile event like the NBA final probably rates a police presence. I would like to see some of the earlier video to check and see if he had POLICE on his back.... if so he was on government time.
Ah, so he WAS there as an official cop. Something I read made me think he was just moonlighting, but maybe I got it wrong.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Ah, so he WAS there as an official cop. Something I read made me think he was just moonlighting, but maybe I got it wrong.
Several articles I’ve read suggest that but now I don’t see how that could be correct.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I will say about US Law Enforcement is that you don't need to be the sharpest knife in the drawer to be hired but when I look at some of the salaries they are paid then is it any wonder you end up with some thugs and dishonest scumbags. Not just cops who have a bad attitudes ever seen comments about American travellers Must be a US thing although I suspect the Brits can teach them a few things about drinking and acting like assholes when abroad.
Now I am not implying all citizens of the US are assholes but maybe it's their perception that they live in the greatest country and therefore superior to others. I love visiting the USA and have met some wonderful people on my travels.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Clearly Trump needs to add this cop to his cast of characters that will be appearing at the Republican convention. Another "wronged" white guy.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 11:20 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

An editorial from the sports section of the CBC:
"Maybe the sheriff's office decided that, from a public relations standpoint, it could afford to support Strickland's bogus story, gambling the white officer's badge and gun would give weight to his words when placed on the scale alongside the account of a Black immigrant who was born in England and raised in Nigeria.
Or maybe the sheriff's office figured it's more costly to concede that Strickland was wrong. That admission might invite questions about why they even hired a man who was rejected by a neighbouring police department because of a 2005 insurance fraud conviction, and why they still value Strickland's word over video that appears definitive."
One possible motive I haven't seen mentioned yet is Strickland might have been pissed off at Masai because his team just lost the championship....
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/nba-masai-...nion-1.5692862

Last edited by caretaker; Aug 20th 2020 at 11:40 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen law enforcement at every sporting event that I've attended in the US - high school football, high school basketball high school baseball (usually the SRO's from both teams schools at football matches, Florida SRO's are all sheriff's deputies), college football and MLB games. Doesn't need to be a high profile game to get a copper.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 1:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Apparently Steve Bannon is still on the schedule to speak at the Republican convention on Tuesday. Very fitting!
Old Aug 21st 2020, 2:13 am
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Apparently Steve Bannon is still on the schedule to speak at the Republican convention on Tuesday. Very fitting!
Nobody's even mentioning the Senate Intelligence Committee findings on Russian interference in the 2016 election. For a bipartisan body they made a good job of validating Mueller's findings that Russia did indeed interfere, and who and what and when. Also the recent ruling in New York quashing Trumps appeal against forking over his financial documents. Considering Putin is directing Trump like his personal explicative deleted, and voter suppression is top of mind (or was until the Postmaster General delayed postal reforms until after the election), and intimidation of opposition candidates is Putin's specialty; maybe prominent Democrats have to take extra precautions. Putin just poisoned Alex Navalny so I wonder what he's suggesting Trump do to get some edge.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 9:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

BBC reviewed Joe's speech, seems it is contagious:

DNC 2020: Joe Biden convention speech fact-checked https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53858940

Old Aug 21st 2020, 10:54 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

So there's an incorrect figure in there. A single one, on the number of small businesses that have closed.

As opposed to over 20,000 lies that have been told by your candidate since 2016.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
BBC reviewed Joe's speech, seems it is contagious:

DNC 2020: Joe Biden convention speech fact-checked https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53858940

Did you actually read that article?

Claim #1: True, unless you count per capita, which was not mentioned in Biden's statement.
Claim #2: True: more than 50 million have claimed for unemployment.
Claim #3: True, Trump did say 'there are good people on both sides'.

Now you can come back with the 'aah but...' argument, but nothing in the article suggests any kind of contagion - I assume you meant in relation to Trump's lying, if you didn't you might want to clarify what exactly the contagion is.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by civilservant
So there's an incorrect figure in there. A single one, on the number of small businesses that have closed.

As opposed to over 20,000 lies that have been told by your candidate since 2016.
Don't encourage him.
1% of businesses shuttered permanently, a further 12% temporarily. Assuming simple maths we can agree that it is 13%. Decimate 13% and you get 1.769, do you recall the parameters Biden used when he said 'nearly one in six'?

Edit: Anyone in the vicinity should take a gander at Savannah, Georgia. I was gobsmacked, there were empty stores all down the main shopping area - it reminded me of the small mining towns in South Wales in the 80's.

Last edited by zzrmark; Aug 21st 2020 at 11:14 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.