2020 Election

Old Aug 9th 2020, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Not that this couldn't change DRAMATICALLY by November, but ... AZ showing 'blue' (dem) and TX showing white (toss-up)!

https://projects.economist.com/us-20...cast/president

But as a nice reality check, on EXACTLY the same date back in 2016, this was the situation:

A cautionary tale ...

Update - here's '270towin.com' -

Last edited by Steerpike; Aug 9th 2020 at 10:14 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 12:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 11th 2020, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...xisting-393312

Trump: Executive order on pre-existing conditions is 'a signal'

Every single time a Republican says they will protect patients with pre-existing conditions, the question should be asked, 'but at what cost?'. The ACA (obamacare) requires full coverage of all pre-existing conditions at no extra premium cost. This is critical. All the plans offered by Republicans to cover pre-existing conditions simply say the insurance companies will not be able to DENY coverage based on a pre-existing condition; they don't say the insurance company can't charge a higher premium for the coverage. Martha McSally in AZ, who's fighting for her Senate seat this November, keeps saying she's in favor of 'pre-existing conditions coverage', but the plan she supports would only require coverage; the cost for that coverage could be as high as the insurance companies wish.

I don't think the democrats are 'messaging' this strongly enough.

https://azdem.org/new-mcsally-ad-rec...d-false-claim/

Old Aug 11th 2020, 1:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...xisting-393312

Trump: Executive order on pre-existing conditions is 'a signal'

Every single time a Republican says they will protect patients with pre-existing conditions, the question should be asked, 'but at what cost?'. The ACA (obamacare) requires full coverage of all pre-existing conditions at no extra premium cost. This is critical. All the plans offered by Republicans to cover pre-existing conditions simply say the insurance companies will not be able to DENY coverage based on a pre-existing condition; they don't say the insurance company can't charge a higher premium for the coverage. Martha McSally in AZ, who's fighting for her Senate seat this November, keeps saying she's in favor of 'pre-existing conditions coverage', but the plan she supports would only require coverage; the cost for that coverage could be as high as the insurance companies wish.

I don't think the democrats are 'messaging' this strongly enough.

https://azdem.org/new-mcsally-ad-rec...d-false-claim/
Agree completely. This is definitely a signal that if the ACA goes away, those with pre existing conditions will likely be hosed, especially those that are older. Not only does the ACA prohibit charging based on pre-existing conditions, but also it limits how much more can be charged based on age. Oh, and of course subsidies would disappear too. But, hey, Trump will brag that he's "covering pre-existing conditions" and his base is stupid enough to be fooled by it.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 3:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Washington (CNN) More than 100 Black men on Monday signed an open letter to presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden urging him to pick a Black woman as his vice president, writing that "failing to select a Black woman in 2020 means you will lose the election."

Sort of a given but this seems to make it a certainty..
Old Aug 11th 2020, 6:01 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Washington (CNN) More than 100 Black men on Monday signed an open letter to presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden urging him to pick a Black woman as his vice president, writing that "failing to select a Black woman in 2020 means you will lose the election."
Sort of a given but this seems to make it a certainty..
So after the debacle of creating an election losing "defund the Police" slogan, a group of black men have presented the republicans with another hostage to fortune.
If Biden picks a black woman he'll be accused of pandering to 100 activists, the quality of the candidate will be lost in the shouting. The candidate will be known as the token black.
If he doesn't pick a black woman then the black campaign will accuse Biden of not being true to his rhetoric and the clamour will grow to not vote and who knows what effect that'll have on the average voter.
If I were Trump I'd have hired 100 black men to write an open letter.......

Old Aug 11th 2020, 11:21 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Sort of a given
At least 2 white women are on his shortlist if reports are to be believed. Warren and Whitmer.

Whitmer had a face-to-face with Biden last week.

Decision has most likely been made at this point. At least I hope so. The 'convention' is next week.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dave_j
So after the debacle of creating an election losing "defund the Police" slogan, a group of black men have presented the republicans with another hostage to fortune.
If Biden picks a black woman he'll be accused of pandering to 100 activists, the quality of the candidate will be lost in the shouting. The candidate will be known as the token black.
If he doesn't pick a black woman then the black campaign will accuse Biden of not being true to his rhetoric and the clamour will grow to not vote and who knows what effect that'll have on the average voter.
If I were Trump I'd have hired 100 black men to write an open letter.......
I get a news update from the NYT every morning, todays included the massive surge in killings https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/11/u...2e873fcd625bd9 and the rioting in Chicago. Meanwhile in Seattle the Poice Chief is apparently resigning after the City Council voted to defund the Police.

Old Aug 11th 2020, 12:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by civilservant
At least 2 white women are on his shortlist if reports are to be believed. Warren and Whitmer.

Whitmer had a face-to-face with Biden last week.

Decision has most likely been made at this point. At least I hope so. The 'convention' is next week.
I think both of them have the same chance of getting the nod as I do. Anyway the speculation will soon be over.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I get a news update from the NYT every morning, todays included the massive surge in killings https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/11/u...2e873fcd625bd9 and the rioting in Chicago. Meanwhile in Seattle the Poice Chief is apparently resigning after the City Council voted to defund the Police.
Plan was 50% reduction in police budget and the creation of a new separately funded public safety department that would handle 911 calls and parking enforcement. Also would eliminate "school enforcement officers" (sic). It seems what's actually been approved would cut the budget by... 1%.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Plan was 50% reduction in police budget and the creation of a new separately funded public safety department that would handle 911 calls and parking enforcement. Also would eliminate "school enforcement officers" (sic). It seems what's actually been approved would cut the budget by... 1%.
I think the salary changes might be what pushed her into "retirement".
The whole situation is Seattle has been weird for those in charge. The budget committee didn't involve the chief in budget talks, the chief didn't come up with any suggested changes to the force organisation (not even non-cost changes to deal with bad cops), oddballs like Sawant are jabbing at everyone and saying dumb stuff, the mayor is the only one who seems to be vaguely holding it together. No one is doing their job well or taking real action to deal with the situation.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't they also want to get rid of 100 police officers in Seattle?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...etires-defund/
Old Aug 11th 2020, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Anian
I think the salary changes might be what pushed her into "retirement".
The whole situation is Seattle has been weird for those in charge. The budget committee didn't involve the chief in budget talks, the chief didn't come up with any suggested changes to the force organisation (not even non-cost changes to deal with bad cops), oddballs like Sawant are jabbing at everyone and saying dumb stuff, the mayor is the only one who seems to be vaguely holding it together. No one is doing their job well or taking real action to deal with the situation.
Well my understanding is they are having real issues recruiting, after all why would you want a job where you know you will be hung out to dry unless you are truly desperate?

Now I have not checked this but remember being told a long time ago if you want to know what is really going on check the one way U Haul rates for a given city.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

It's Kamala !

onward.....
Old Aug 11th 2020, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MMcD
It's Kamala !

onward.....
I'm sure our resident troll will be delighted.

She wouldn't have been my choice; I would have preferred her to be Attorney General. I hope she campaigns better this fall than she did in the primaries and shows the form she did on the Senate judiciary committee.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Aug 11th 2020 at 8:31 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.