2020 Election

Old Jul 27th 2020, 1:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by RICH
Its the antifa doing the rioting not the actual facists dont you know.
Trouble is there is no discernible difference.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Trouble is there is no discernible difference.
That only applies to middle aged white men.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
So why are these protesters setting fires and breaking windows (at the very least) in these demonstrations? I'm all for peaceful protests, but when you start setting fires and damaging property, you are asking for trouble. I don't agree with sending in the Feds, but something has to be done. What does a protester who starts a fire hope to achieve - what is their end-game, their goal? The thing that concerns me is, the BLM protests gained widespread support when they first occurred, but now, they seem to be losing their original purpose and are becoming violent. This only plays into Trump's hands.

This article on Politico summarizes several of the protests this weekend; this is not a Fox News article, this is a respected journalist ...
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...rs-fire-381968

Police and protesters clash in violent weekend across the U.S.

Protesters in Oakland, California, set fire to a courthouse, damaged a police station, broke windows, spray-painted graffiti, shot fireworks and pointed lasers at officers after a peaceful demonstration Saturday evening turned to unrest...

In Virginia's capital, Richmond, a dump truck was torched as several hundred protesters and police faced off late Saturday

In downtown Atlanta on Sunday, federal agents examined damage to an Immigration and Customs Enforcement facility where windows were shattered late Saturday.

In Seattle ... Rocks, bottles, fireworks and mortars were fired at police during the weekend unrest ... Twenty-one officers were hurt ...
The group currently fronting the protests (in the PNW) are the Youth Liberation Front. One of their stated objectives is to end capitalism. Patrisse Cullors boasts that she is a "trained Marxist."

Karl Marx was a violent revolutionary who repeatedly wrote that "forcible overthrow" and "revolutionary terror" were the "only" ways to achieve their stated ends.

As "trained Marxists" they would be highly aware of Marx's thoughts on protest and I think you now have your answer as to why there is violence. It's a feature, not a bug. The ironic thing is, for the past few years "Nazi," "Communist," etc hyperbolic and hysterical slurs have been thrown about over tiny things and now real Marxists have actually shown up for, what, the first time in 50 years? And it's slid right under the radar because the boy has cried wolf so many times.

Funny, I went onto Patrisse Cullors' Twitter page just now expecting to find condemnation of the violence and an attempt to distance BLM from it, but there is nothing of the sort.

Old Jul 27th 2020, 11:57 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting, if highly theoretical, look at how the election system could collapse if Trump is not soundly rejected in November:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-possibilities
Old Jul 27th 2020, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Joe Biden leads Donald Trump 51-44% in North Carolina, according to the latest NBC News/Marist Poll.

If the poll is accurate and stays that way, the rout will be on.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Joe Biden leads Donald Trump 51-44% in North Carolina, according to the latest NBC News/Marist Poll.

If the poll is accurate and stays that way, the rout will be on.
There's an awful long way to go... and so many unknowns, particularly how much vote suppression there will be in key states.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 4:36 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

The group currently fronting the protests (in the PNW) are the Youth Liberation Front. One of their stated objectives is to end capitalism. Patrisse Cullors boasts that she is a "trained Marxist."

Karl Marx was a violent revolutionary who repeatedly wrote that "forcible overthrow" and "revolutionary terror" were the "only" ways to achieve their stated ends.

As "trained Marxists" they would be highly aware of Marx's thoughts on protest and I think you now have your answer as to why there is violence. It's a feature, not a bug. The ironic thing is, for the past few years "Nazi," "Communist," etc hyperbolic and hysterical slurs have been thrown about over tiny things and now real Marxists have actually shown up for, what, the first time in 50 years? And it's slid right under the radar because the boy has cried wolf so many times.

Funny, I went onto Patrisse Cullors' Twitter page just now expecting to find condemnation of the violence and an attempt to distance BLM from it, but there is nothing of the sort.
It seems that kind of violence and terror is acceptable. That it isn't being condemned tells us all that we need to know.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 4:57 pm
Banned

The Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
So why are these protesters setting fires and breaking windows (at the very least) in these demonstrations? I'm all for peaceful protests, but when you start setting fires and damaging property, you are asking for trouble. I don't agree with sending in the Feds, but something has to be done. What does a protester who starts a fire hope to achieve - what is their end-game, their goal? The thing that concerns me is, the BLM protests gained widespread support when they first occurred, but now, they seem to be losing their original purpose and are becoming violent. This only plays into Trump's hands.

Ever hear of the Boston Tea Party? Just remember, this country was founded on protest: It is called the American Revolution, and every step of progress in this country, every expansion of freedom, every expression of its deepest ideals has been won through efforts that made the staus quo uncomfortable. The protestors wouldnt achieve anything whithout attacking commerce, because commerce is the only entity with a voice in the Unites States.

And Antifa, who the Trump administration has labeled a menace........ has mostly been nonexistent, experts and law enforcement officials say, and certainly has not been orchestrating what have been largely peaceful protests from a broad cross section of Americans. And we should all be thankful for folks who are willing to be out there making a difference.

After 19,000 lies and counting, why would anybody believe Trump?

Last edited by The Mirror; Jul 27th 2020 at 5:02 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Mirror
Ever hear of the Boston Tea Party? Just remember, this country was founded on protest: It is called the American Revolution, and every step of progress in this country, every expansion of freedom, every expression of its deepest ideals has been won through efforts that made the staus quo uncomfortable. The protestors wouldnt achieve anything whithout attacking commerce, because commerce is the only entity with a voice in the Unites States.

And Antifa, who the Trump administration has labeled a menace........ has mostly been nonexistent, experts and law enforcement officials say, and certainly has not been orchestrating what have been largely peaceful protests from a broad cross section of Americans. And we should all be thankful for folks who are willing to be out there making a difference.

After 19,000 lies and counting, why would anybody believe Trump?
I'm not in the least bit 'believing Trump' - I think he's a lying turd and I will dance on his grave. I want to see him not just gone, but resoundingly defeated so that the Republican party will think three times before going down this path again. But the article I posted was from a left-leaning publication, not Faux Noise. I would agree that the protests have been 'largely peaceful' but there ought to be universal condemnation of the destruction of property. I'm losing my patience with it and I'm a lifelong democrat. Luckily, the orange turd in the White House is such a monster that I am hopeful that enough people will still vote to get rid of him, but I see the current activity as being entirely counter-productive. Moderate Americans in the swing states are going to have to change their vote from last time if we are to see the back of him, and those moderate voters are likely to be strongly opposed to the destruction of property. Not to mention the utterly stupid narrative around 'defund the police'. Biden is going to have to thoroughly distance himself from that utter nonsense if he is to maintain his lead. Why the narrative is not 'Reform the Police' I cannot imagine.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
There's an awful long way to go... and so many unknowns, particularly how much vote suppression there will be in key states.
In the 'other' thread (Trump...) I posted this information about the 5 'swing states' and their Electoral College votes. Do folks on here have a good sense of which of these states have decent 'vote by mail' systems setup? I happen to know that AZ is heavily invested in Vote By Mail, so there's no issue in AZ. Another poster recently confirmed that Florida has a pretty robust Vote By Mail + Early Voting system. So how about the rest? Are any of these states known for severely limiting VBM? I believe Leslie indicated Texas is doing all it can to stop VBM, so it may be too optimistic that Texas will swing, but the Dem's don't need to win all of them ...

The 5 closest states considered 'too close to call' (with their EC vote count) are: (according to - https://projects.economist.com/us-20...cast/president )
Georgia 16
Arizona 11
Iowa 6
Ohio 18
North Carolina 15

After these states, the 'next level' of states of interest are Florida with 29 EC votes - currently leaning slightly towards Biden, and Texas, with 38 EC votes, currently leaning slightly towards Trump.

Old Jul 27th 2020, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

I believe Georgia, after seeing it be a success in the Primaries (compared to their complete inability to run an in person election as it happens) have decided that they'll revert back to primarily in person for November (makes sense, if you are aiming at reducing turnout).
Old Jul 27th 2020, 10:05 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

This election is actually surprising me and it was my opinion one year ago, that Trump would struggle and eventually lose to a moderate Democrat candidate. I felt that way because Trump's support in the key swing states was at best in 2016 on the bubble. But now that he is a KNOWN factor and his governing has been left wanting, there is no way Trump would receive the benefit of the doubt in 2020. Many last minute voters swung toward Trump in order to try something different.That was my thinking then. And let's be honest Trump did squeak by in 2016, it was not a blowout.

As an incumbent Trump has two avenues to victory, convince voters that he will turn around the horrible job he has given the nation in the last four years, or actually have done a good job thereby earning another four years and re-election. Even if you suspend reality of disbelief, still none of those two options are possibly connected to Trump's administration. For all intents and purposes his goose is cooked. But what is surprising me is how many factors are blocking Trump's road to re-election.

Before the Coronavirus outbreak Trump odd's of winning in 2020 was a best 40-60 because he had angered many of the voters that sat out in 2016, but after the bungled virus response, and the BlackLivesMatter reaction, Trump would need more than the Inside Straight he got in 2016. The voting public are paying more attention to this election 3 months out from election day, than probably any election in modern times. That is the last thing Trump needs in order to win re-election. He actually would need to benefit from an electorate that is less engaged than the laser focus Trump's actions garner on a day to day basis.

Trump's tendency to do the wrong and extreme behavior only works to make winning re-election problematic. Not responding to fight a raging pandemic will eventually be his epitaph, even more so than him being impeached. Speaking as a person who is out in the field registering new voters, I can honestly say that the way Trump has denigrated the BlackLivesMatter situation has made my job so much easier signing up new voters. And what we're noticing this time around is the number of people that are registering out of anger towards Trump. We are hearing people comment that it is their responsibility to respond to Trump and elected officials connected to him. I personally have not seen this level of anger toward a President since 2008 when Bush Jr was greatly disliked but the reaction to Trump is on a different level.

There were about 2 million African Americans, 800,000 Hispanic Americans that did not vote in 2016 because they did not like Hillary. In 2020 people are so energize to vote that they are willing to go out into the Coronavirus environment to have their voice heard. Early voting starts in 6 weeks in certain swing states.

Btw, Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania are all 8% points ahead in the Biden column. It will be interesting how much of a blue wave this election will be. It appears Arizona, Florida, and North Carolina may be a far reach for Trump. He is flailing.

Last edited by UkWinds5353; Jul 27th 2020 at 10:09 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't this thread very much like the 2016 Election thread or 2016 Who will be the Republican Nominee? Trump has zero chance. Now you have had nearly 4 years of him could he do it again? I know most on here don't support him and neither do I but history has a knack of repeating itself.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

How about condemning the violence that resists any change, Government gangs beating the shit out of nonviolent protesters.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Isn't this thread very much like the 2016 Election thread or 2016 Who will be the Republican Nominee? Trump has zero chance. Now you have had nearly 4 years of him could he do it again? I know most on here don't support him and neither do I but history has a knack of repeating itself.
Exactly. I can't get out of my head the number of prominent 'experts' who wrote Trump off entirely in 2016, based on perfectly logical reasons - like, he's a disgusting, womanizing, lying turd. But he won. There are a million reasons he should lose again this time; all the reasons from before, PLUS, utter mishandling of the pandemic in every conceivable way, mis-reading the BLM situation, and so on. But - I still believe that, if the stock market is still strong in November (let's not forget it has recovered almost entirely to date), if the economy shows any signs of recovery, if violence is still flaring up in cities, if efforts to block voter suppression fail, and if the virus is seen to be on a downward trend, THEN ... he could still do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.