2020 Election

Old Jul 24th 2020, 4:01 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by MMcD
I loathe her.
I loathe how gleeful she must have felt today when Trump, during his Corona conference wank, threatened to take the money meant for each State's public schools and divert it to religious or private institutions if a State didn't re-open its schools in the fall. Not only is it outrageous. It's unlawful
While he would need Congress to not give this education money, Federal money is for the poorest areas, once again Trump is targeting the least powerful for punishment.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 4:13 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Donald Trump finally figured out today that having a Convention in Florida during a time when the TrumpCoronaVirus is raging at it's worse would only result in an empty venue because not even his most active supporters want to attend his event knowing they probably will get infected get seriously ill if not worst. So his only avenue to excite his base is now dead. He will now have to spend all his energy giving speeches to the press telling them that schools MUST open back up and how safe it is for children to attend classes. Now that position might be more convincing to the average voter if Trump had not just canceled his own Republican Convention due to the fact it's not safe for people to gather.

If we didn't know all this stuff was true it would be hard to believe. But fear not we're in good hands Donald did after-all passed his cognitive tests.

I wonder what the stable genius has in store for the country in the next few weeks because that Dam I mentioned about one month ago is about to burst. All those safety measures to protect the country from having 10s of millions of Americans unemployed with zero means to keep from being kicked out of their homes is about to kick off. Republicans in the Senate are balking at the idea of re-upping unemployment benefits, and other governmental assistance to stop this country from cratering into a full blown depression. And it's all about to start in about 2 weeks time. Republicans= really bad at running government! These conservative morons have followed Donald Trump over a cliff. What a mess!

Last edited by UkWinds5353; Jul 24th 2020 at 4:40 am.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 4:20 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
What does "affect" mean in this context? Your graph only showed hospitalization rates by age. Do you have data for the asymptomatic infection rate in children? Or data on the transmission rate (likelihood in percentages) from asymptomatic children to (1) other children (2) adults.
I haven't seen any stats on under 18s, but I have read in quite a few Los Angeles County local media sources that of the 2,000+ people sick enough to be hospitalized with covid-19, 25% of them are between 18 - 40. This is in contrast to their April stats, which showed that 10% of hospitalized people were between 18 - 40.

So while covid-19 may have a proportionately higher rate of hospitalization and death among the elderly, I don't think it can be said any longer that most younger people will only have mild symptoms. I don't know the reason/s why younger people are being hit harder than previously, whether the virus is mutating/changing, whether risky behaviours are the reason (not social distancing, no masks, large gatherings), but the stats do appear to suggest that we can't really guarantee that any age group is safe, either now in in the future. We don't know enough about the virus or its characteristics to have any absolutes.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
As you say, the rest of the world (at least, much of the world) has got their infection rates down so they can think about going back to normal life, like going back to school. My niece in UK is quite comfortable having her 4 and 6 year-olds going back to school, for example. This is the part that Trump doesn't seem to understand (or won't acknowledge) - yes, the rest of the world is sending their kids to school now, and that's because they got their shit together a while back. And Trump keeps saying things like, 'our testing is the envy of the world' ... so those who live in the Trump bubble probably believe that.
I'm going to bet that most of those than blindly follow him will have no clue just how bad the US trajectory is in relation to many other countries.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jul 24th 2020 at 5:24 am.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
While he would need Congress to not give this education money, Federal money is for the poorest areas, once again Trump is targeting the least powerful for punishment.
Empty blowhard bluster

The dictator wannabe can't just decree it

Even lackey Pence admitted as much last week when he said to the Washington Post "What you heard from the president is just determination to provide the kind of leadership from the federal level to get our kids back to school. Because that’s where they belong.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...t-they-can-do/

Old Jul 24th 2020, 6:21 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MMcD
This disease is a threat for everyone, children included. Even if they have never exhibited symptoms or appeared to have contracted it.
One of the "odd, illogical stuff out there" conditions that have occurred in children is called Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome".

The irony is that it occurs in children who have either recovered from Covid or hadn't been known to have had it because they'd been asymptomatic ( and were only discovered to have had it when tested later).
In both instances their young bodies were subsequently overwhelmed by the massive amount of antibodies produced by their strong immune systems in order to fight Covid. What initially spared them from the potentially lethal virus, then boomeranged to threaten (and sometimes take) their lives.
Yes.

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
You mean education secretary Betsy de Vos is wrong when she says that children are virus stoppers??

Old Jul 24th 2020, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

ss120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I haven't seen any stats on under 18s, but I have read in quite a few Los Angeles County local media sources that of the 2,000+ people sick enough to be hospitalized with covid-19, 25% of them are between 18 - 40. This is in contrast to their April stats, which showed that 10% of hospitalized people were between 18 - 40.

So while covid-19 may have a proportionately higher rate of hospitalization and death among the elderly, I don't think it can be said any longer that most younger people will only have mild symptoms. I don't know the reason/s why younger people are being hit harder than previously, whether the virus is mutating/changing, whether risky behaviours are the reason (not social distancing, no masks, large gatherings), but the stats do appear to suggest that we can't really guarantee that any age group is safe, either now in in the future. We don't know enough about the virus or its characteristics to have any absolutes.
The higher percent of hospitalizations being younger people is because the cases are now more heavily concentrated among them. For healthy 20-29 year olds, hospitalization rate is extremely low - 3%. Rate for those with underlying conditions is higher: 18%, though that's still much lower than for the elderly. ICU rates for that age group are even lower: 3% for those with underlying conditions. Numbers are very similar for 10-19 and 30-39 age groups. And those numbers are likely overestimates because they're based on confirmed cases only.

https://www.latimes.com/science/stor...ed-by-covid-19
Old Jul 24th 2020, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

The USA healthcare system would be screwed if 3% of the population needed treatment.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of bumper stickers - saw one today "Republicans for Biden 2020" - woo hoo! Sadly, this was in CA, which is already in the bag ...
Old Jul 24th 2020, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
Donald Trump finally figured out today that having a Convention in Florida during a time when the TrumpCoronaVirus is raging at it's worse would only result in an empty venue because not even his most active supporters want to attend his event knowing they probably will get infected get seriously ill if not worst.
I beg to disagree, I believe that Florida is one place he could still muster up a crowd.

Example, today's personal Trumpster derp encounter.
Today, I was working in a middle-of-the-road trailer park, many permanent residents, not too posh, not too dire, round here that makes it a stronghold for the retired Trump voter. 9.30am I am approached by a potential customer, can't help him but he's the sort of old scroat that wants to chat regardless, pleasant enough but one of those types who has no concept of personal space, even in these times, let alone can manage to social distance himself. So then we start that delightful social dance whereby he stands 12' from my face, I back off, he closes in, I back off. Pre-Sarscov2 that was one of my pet hates so you can imagine what it did for my blood pressure!! I manage to get rid of him by fobbing him off with the company card and telling him to call the boss.
Rest of the day proceeds uneventfully, 3pm I need the restroom, my customer is high risk and although she said feel free to use the facilities indoors I'm not about to put her at risk unnecessarily so head down to the site restrooms. Lo and behold the whole place is deserted and locked up. Note on the door saying that xxx resident died from Covid, all facilities will remain closed until further notice and could anyone that had contact with xxx get tested, etc, etc.
It is at this point I remember that the boss had asked me earlier in the week if I'd be OK to work in this park because of the death and it is at this point I will terminate this rapidly expanding shaggy dog story and just say WTF was the old bloke doing in my face when he must know there's a good reason all the other old dears are staying indoors on this park.
Ask many of them and they throw you that old Fox News bone about Fauci changing his mind all the time and they don't know what to believe anymore so their answer is that they stick their fingers in their ears, shout lalalala and pretend that it's still the good old days.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Speaking of bumper stickers - saw one today "Republicans for Biden 2020" - woo hoo! Sadly, this was in CA, which is already in the bag ...
I am one of the few round here with an anti-Trump bumper sticker, much to the dismay of my boss and several customers. Just changed out my 3 year old 'Any Functioning Adult 2020' for 'ByeDon 2020'...
Old Jul 24th 2020, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
I beg to disagree, I believe that Florida is one place he could still muster up a crowd.
I agree; AZ would be another such location. I think he cancelled more because he realizes that too many moderates / independents are completely against his behavior, and he's bowing to that, betting that he can 'hold his base' regardless.

Example, today's personal Trumpster derp encounter.
Today, I was working in a middle-of-the-road trailer park, many permanent residents, not too posh, not too dire, round here that makes it a stronghold for the retired Trump voter. 9.30am I am approached by a potential customer, can't help him but he's the sort of old scroat that wants to chat regardless, pleasant enough but one of those types who has no concept of personal space, even in these times, let alone can manage to social distance himself. So then we start that delightful social dance whereby he stands 12' from my face, I back off, he closes in, I back off. Pre-Sarscov2 that was one of my pet hates so you can imagine what it did for my blood pressure!! I manage to get rid of him by fobbing him off with the company card and telling him to call the boss.
Rest of the day proceeds uneventfully, 3pm I need the restroom, my customer is high risk and although she said feel free to use the facilities indoors I'm not about to put her at risk unnecessarily so head down to the site restrooms. Lo and behold the whole place is deserted and locked up. Note on the door saying that xxx resident died from Covid, all facilities will remain closed until further notice and could anyone that had contact with xxx get tested, etc, etc.
It is at this point I remember that the boss had asked me earlier in the week if I'd be OK to work in this park because of the death and it is at this point I will terminate this rapidly expanding shaggy dog story and just say WTF was the old bloke doing in my face when he must know there's a good reason all the other old dears are staying indoors on this park.
Ask many of them and they throw you that old Fox News bone about Fauci changing his mind all the time and they don't know what to believe anymore so their answer is that they stick their fingers in their ears, shout lalalala and pretend that it's still the good old days.
You are braver than I am, going into such places and dealing with those people. I dash into Costco and Safeway once a week and that's it as far as human interaction is concerned! I really need a 'vision' test/new glasses, and a dental cleaning at this point ... I'm trying to convince myself it will be ok but so far, no go. I cut my own hair twice so far ...

I am one of the few round here with an anti-Trump bumper sticker, much to the dismay of my boss and several customers. Just changed out my 3 year old 'Any Functioning Adult 2020' for 'ByeDon 2020'...
Even braver! I would happily display such a sticker in CA, but it would hardly matter due to CA being in the bag for Biden. But in AZ, I would NOT dare to display such a sticker. I would seriously expect my car to get 'keyed' (scratched) or otherwise defaced. I've actually thought of making a 'magnetic' plate to carry a bumper sticker, as I'd love to display one while driving, but would not want to have it on display while in a grocery store parking lot!

Love the ByeDon pun ... haven't seen or heard that one so far!
Old Jul 24th 2020, 9:51 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

There's no WAY I would display such a bumper sticker here in rural GA. My truck would end up with a slashed tire or something similar.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by civilservant
There's no WAY I would display such a bumper sticker here in rural GA. My truck would end up with a slashed tire or something similar.
That was my worry when we drove up to the middle of nowhere SC, through the middle of nowhere GA just recently. Mind you, I do have the advantage of being an ugly looking mo-fo, and although I'm 5'10" I've got shoulders to match the old Bulls coach, Phil Thomas and a rapidly growing Rona beard which would fit in nicely with the old Duck Dynasty crowd, all of which combined make me look like a no-nonsense demented dwarf. One of the reasons for becoming a USC at the earliest possible time is because I have a very rarely displayed but filthy temper when provoked...
Old Jul 24th 2020, 11:45 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

We haven’t had a bumper sticker or any similar personalization on the car for 25 years (since living in Boston.) We live in a Republican region, and although most people are perfectly law-abiding and considerate, we generally fly under the radar in terms of expressing political opinions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.