2020 Election

Old Mar 23rd 2020, 11:40 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Even my wife, who was all-in on Trump because 'he's doing what he said he would' for the first time yesterday called him an idiot that is making the situation in the US worse. I think it was the 'the Federal Government is not a shipping clerk' comment that finally broke the camels back.

Old Mar 23rd 2020, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
OMG Trump’s press conference today. I have lots of very rich friends, very rich friends, there are lots of very rich men, but non of them could do a better job than me. Then he went on to say running for prez has cost him billions, he could have made billions in the last few years had he not been prez. Lots of people say bad things about me, it is not true and it is not fair.

FFS we are not interested in you, you, you...it’s the Coronavirus stupid.
He is defiantly losing the "plot" rapidly !
As the pressure grows ,so does the bull shit he spouts , I feel it-s only a matter off time ,before he has "a on TV melt down" & starts raving that he's the best thing since sliced bread & then the medics have to step in

Last edited by Ingles; Mar 23rd 2020 at 12:08 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Even my wife, who was all-in on Trump because 'he's doing what he said he would' for the first time yesterday called him an idiot that is making the situation in the US worse. I think it was the 'the Federal Government is not a shipping clerk' comment that finally broke the camels back.
I honestly wonder if he will try to cancel the 2020 election. I said something like this earlier, and was accused of being silly. On the one hand, he could very well do it for personal, selfish reasons if he thinks he could lose, but on the other hand, if we don't have a good handle on this virus by then, can we practically have an election where people have to visit voting booths? 'Social Distancing' and in-person voting seem to be mutually exclusive. Of course, in rural areas voting stations are not generally overcrowded but in some urban areas, they are. Can you imagine ... "we will allow voting to proceed but limited to (some limit to prevent overcrowding)". This would absolutely impact democratic voters who typically vote in urban areas. This could get very messy.
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I honestly wonder if he will try to cancel the 2020 election. I said something like this earlier, and was accused of being silly. On the one hand, he could very well do it for personal, selfish reasons if he thinks he could lose, but on the other hand, if we don't have a good handle on this virus by then, can we practically have an election where people have to visit voting booths? 'Social Distancing' and in-person voting seem to be mutually exclusive. Of course, in rural areas voting stations are not generally overcrowded but in some urban areas, they are. Can you imagine ... "we will allow voting to proceed but limited to (some limit to prevent overcrowding)". This would absolutely impact democratic voters who typically vote in urban areas. This could get very messy.
I suspect he will leverage this if he can to cancel/delay the election. I also wonder about the census. A lot of this is done by mail/online, but they were hiring a multitude of workers to do outreach and data processing etc. I have read a couple of articles about this and concerns there won't be an accurate count of urban areas.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Mar 23rd 2020 at 5:38 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 5:35 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly wonder if he will try to cancel the 2020 election..
I have had little doubt about that for some time, I have said so on these forums. His path to attempt it will probably be as Commander in Chief, his continued use of describing the present situation as a "war" suggests, that might be his current thinking. Bolivia have cancelled their elections, I anticipate Trump will see that as a precedent for him to follow.
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I have had little doubt about that for some time, I have said so on these forums. His path to attempt it will probably be as Commander in Chief, his continued use of describing the present situation as a "war" suggests, that might be his current thinking. Bolivia have cancelled their elections, I anticipate Trump will see that as a precedent for him to follow.
There was a presidential election in 1944. Admittedly that created a different set of issues, but nevertheless one was held.
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 5:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Can the president cancel elections?

From what I can find about it, he can't. Not without congress changing the law anyhow.

Old Mar 23rd 2020, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
There was a presidential election in 1944. Admittedly that created a different set of issues, but nevertheless one was held.
Federal elections are a constitutional requirement. Even if a total of 10,000 people vote absentee in the whole country, those results would take effect. In reality, if the virus is still raging in November, voter turnout would be severely depressed, but the elections would still happen. I don't think there's any constitutionally valid mechanism at all to delay them even by a day.
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 5:59 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HDWill
Federal elections are a constitutional requirement. Even if a total of 10,000 people vote absentee in the whole country, those results would take effect. In reality, if the virus is still raging in November, voter turnout would be severely depressed, but the elections would still happen. I don't think there's any constitutionally valid mechanism at all to delay them even by a day.
Even if the election isnt cancelled/delayed, a more worrisome approach might be for States to direct the votes for the electoral college directly. Skipping the popular vote.
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 6:05 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly wonder if he will try to cancel the 2020 election. .
Since this all started, I have had in my head the vision of nasty little Giuliani sitting on his shoulder, feeding him the idea of trying to stay in office without an election, just as he tried in NYC after 9/11.
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Even if the election isnt cancelled/delayed, a more worrisome approach might be for States to direct the votes for the electoral college directly. Skipping the popular vote.
I would think that would require the States to cancel Election Day or rule the results invalid, either of which would be quickly ruled unconstitutional by the federal Supreme Court.
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 6:10 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
OMG Trump’s press conference today. I have lots of very rich friends, very rich friends, there are lots of very rich men, but non of them could do a better job than me. Then he went on to say running for prez has cost him billions, he could have made billions in the last few years had he not been prez. Lots of people say bad things about me, it is not true and it is not fair.

FFS we are not interested in you, you, you...it’s the Coronavirus stupid.
I think he truly firmly believes 'we' are to owe him something (for doing what he does) and should be grateful . Since it appears we are not obliging, the danger imo is that he will do everything possible to jeopardize things as some warped way of getting back at 'us' for not supporting him etc. Personalities like that thrive on the engagement rather than the substance.

Originally Posted by Leslie
He's holding back the full force of the federal government in a miserly and strange way...
I interpret 2 things out of that .... When the States individually took initiatives and acted in response to the outbreak, I think DJT saw it as insubordination and undermining him (which he can't stand) and this is his way of reacting; looming something over our heads as 'punishment' if you will .... gaslighting. Continuing, he wants the States to beg to him, especially over medical supplies, at which point he is awaiting the golden moment to swoop in and appear to be this great oracle if you will. - only to tout it nearer the election. ..... Maniacal behaviour from anyone.

I think he will try to delay the 2020 election.
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 6:12 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by HDWill
quickly ruled unconstitutional by the federal Supreme Court.
On what grounds?
Given: "Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors..."

Last edited by kimilseung; Mar 23rd 2020 at 6:27 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2020, 2:05 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
We should all pay attention to Dr. Anthony Fauci, head of the NIAID at the NIH. In Dr. Fauci, we have a world-renowned expert in infectious disease and pandemic speaking clearly and with great precision. Here he is talking sense on MSNBC on Friday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Co5T7F16E

Note how his voice is absolutely destroyed. He's 79 and has clearly been working night-and-day. Thanks, Dr. Fauci.
And now Fauci is being silenced by Trump. What say you now?
Old Mar 24th 2020, 2:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
And now Fauci is being silenced by Trump. What say you now?

it does look that way...he has not appeared at the press conferences for a few days. I have read it’s because he’s been busy doing the TV rounds. Who knows?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.