2020 Election

Old Mar 15th 2020, 6:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by Leslie
As an aside, I wonder if the virus will be lessed in warm weather climes?
I definitely read that somewhere. Hot AND humid, I think I heard. I'm in AZ at the mo and it's nowhere near hot enough, but that is going to change soon. If hot and dry kills it, I'll be in like flint!
Old Mar 15th 2020, 6:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

How's the spread in Australia vs northern hemisphere countries? What its doing in Australia may give a hint of how it reacts in warmer summer weather.

My concern is what if its like the Spanish flu, hits, levels off in summer and comes back with a vengeance, if its slows comes summer wouldn't exactly say its over, could very well come back.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 12:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
How's the spread in Australia vs northern hemisphere countries? What its doing in Australia may give a hint of how it reacts in warmer summer weather.

My concern is what if its like the Spanish flu, hits, levels off in summer and comes back with a vengeance, if its slows comes summer wouldn't exactly say its over, could very well come back.

I'm finding this quite informative.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Although someone did say they had issues with popups I didn't notice any.

Keeps fairly up to date with the spread, although factors to note are number of tests being performed relative to new cases.

It's also a little heartining to see how many have fully recovered so far.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 2:58 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

Genuine question - why is it generally that it’s those on the right who are far more skeptical that the coronavirus is in anyway serious? Why is it that people who think Trump always tells the truth and that book about Jesus is irrefutable fact that also think the experts here are either wrong or lying?
Old Mar 15th 2020, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

What? Several Usual Suspects were playing the "it's just the flu" game right up to about 2 weeks ago, and plenty of that was coming from all kinds of left media. This did not break along partisan lines and to claim it did, is well, partisan.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 3:11 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

My social media timeline is pretty heavily split with friends on one end still claiming "its just the flu". I just find that very interesting.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 3:21 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
So you are literally on the front lines of this thing then. Are you able to maintain at least some distance?
Not always. I'm certainly distancing a lot more than I ever have before though. I have accepted that I will be exposed (if I haven't already) and will probably get sick. I will also, most likely, not suffer too much and enjoy a full recovery. My focus is (1) not infecting anybody through my own carelessness and (2) specifically not endangering anybody that is vulnerable.

When the news came out of Washington state about the nursing home deaths, I knew it was already too late to stop it in the US in general so I implemented best practices in the two sites that I have control over. This was simply no hand-shaking, back patting or unnecessary contact. Hand sanitizer in the waiting room and bathrooms as well as bacterial soap and bacterial wipes within hands-reach for staff and the public. Sanitizing common areas hourly and moving waiting room chairs further apart, etc. I put a sign up that we were not accepting walk-ins due to staffing shortages (this was only partially true but I didn't have permission to post about the virus specifically), throwing away all old magazines and removing clutter and clearing surfaces for easier cleaning etc. When confirming appointments, specifically asking if the client was sick and encouraging anybody frail or with underlying health conditions to stay home, etc.

Friday we got specific instructions with collateral/signage and clear directives from our corporate office. The instructions received included everything I had already done plus some stronger protocols (such as the strongly worded sign that we put on the door, that the woman ignored).

Old Mar 15th 2020, 3:40 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
What? Several Usual Suspects were playing the "it's just the flu" game right up to about 2 weeks ago, and plenty of that was coming from all kinds of left media. This did not break along partisan lines and to claim it did, is well, partisan.
What is a "usual suspect"? Are those people? Do they have names? Name and shame or STFU. Nobody knows what you're talking about.

Quote these people and post links to the websites.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 3:57 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Captain Cheesestick
Genuine question - why is it generally that it’s those on the right who are far more skeptical that the coronavirus is in anyway serious? Why is it that people who think Trump always tells the truth and that book about Jesus is irrefutable fact that also think the experts here are either wrong or lying?
My social media timeline is pretty heavily split with friends on one end still claiming "its just the flu". I just find that very interesting.
Since this is the election thread, we can bring it back around to the fact that public information (not just the "media" but local, state and federal authorities) is about 3 weeks behind the curve. In some cases (many) they were disseminating false information. If it takes a couple of weeks to get people to take this seriously .... maybe we should have started with an aggressive public information campaign weeks ago when it wiped out the nursing home in Washington state?

https://time.com/5797636/trump-botch...irus-response/

Old Mar 15th 2020, 4:03 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

We should all pay attention to Dr. Anthony Fauci, head of the NIAID at the NIH. In Dr. Fauci, we have a world-renowned expert in infectious disease and pandemic speaking clearly and with great precision. Here he is talking sense on MSNBC on Friday:

Note how his voice is absolutely destroyed. He's 79 and has clearly been working night-and-day. Thanks, Dr. Fauci.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 4:17 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Hiro11
We should all pay attention to Dr. Anthony Fauci, head of the NIAID at the NIH. In Dr. Fauci, we have a world-renowned expert in infectious disease and pandemic speaking clearly and with great precision. Here he is talking sense on MSNBC on Friday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Co5T7F16E

Note how his voice is absolutely destroyed. He's 79 and has clearly been working night-and-day. Thanks, Dr. Fauci.
I agree. I find that I have much less anxiety when I get clear information --- even if it is bad news and means I will be inconvenienced.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
I find it fascinating as well, but I am not even remotely surprised. The attitude is very familiar to me. Part of the story, of course, is that there are those that have proactively cancelled their own appointments or don't give us a hard time when we ask them to cancel. That isn't the majority though.

The nursing homes stopped taking people out for appointments a couple of weeks ago, based on recommendations (not publicized) from the Trump administration. Remember, nursing homes receive federal funding/Medicare/Medicaid so certain information is delivered directly to their administrators, they don't have to wait for press conferences like the private sector.

Another aspect is that seniors are often discriminated against, taken advantage of and exploited. Many have learned an automatic response to fight their corner no matter what ... even though it is often illogical and sometimes self-defeating. Maybe they have a chip-on-their-shoulder but they probably came by it honestly.

Finally, because we have a strong policy of treating our clientele as "guests" they find their visits to be pleasant and they probably look forward to coming in. Seniors will tell you that their calendars are primarily full of medical appointments, it can become a disproportionate representation of their social life. Taking it away from them can make them angry, even if it is for their own good.
thanks again, this is really interesting stuff, I hadn't thought of them being so used to having to fight their corner it becomes a default setting.

While this is all a good discussion, its no excuse for being rude. Hope you and your clients stay healthy.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 6:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I am seeing a very distinct divide with those I know, the more conservative ones are posting non-stop now about how its just the flu, nothing to be concerned about, placing blame for the break out on Pelosi, posting non-sense like gargle water salt and vinegar and you wont get it, to Italy is killing old people and how evil socialized medicine in, the most crazy is coming from the conservatives I know, I have snoozed most of them for 30 days as it was becoming idiotic from some of them, also reported many of them to FB for spreading false news.

Its similiar here in BC on the media articles in the comment sections, those on the right placing blame on the "libtards" or the NDP about fear mongering and how on about how it only kills old people and those with compromised immunity talking like those demographics somehow don't count.

Old Mar 15th 2020, 6:19 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

The right wing seem split, online right wing influencers like Ron Dwyer are still on the "it's just flu" blaming democrats for trying to destroy Trump. Evrthing is seen through a Trump lens.
Then there are those that sell stuff like Jones, who used it so sell his freeze dried food.
Most seem to be the former, and the lens seems to be the reason. Anything bad is a conspiracy against Trump. I think other more conservative types, are just that, conservative, so look for ways to rationalise to the status quo of yesterday.

Last edited by kimilseung; Mar 15th 2020 at 6:54 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 6:44 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

To the left wing posters above, please understand that to me (important editor's note: MY OPINION, NOT FACT) the "left wing media" (supplemental editor's note: I hate this kind of ad hominem, blanket-labeling crap... but anyway) has gone equally insane. CNN and MSNBC have been 24-7 on the "everyone needs to be tested NOW", "huge government failure", "everyone's going to die, and it's all Trump's fault" hypetrain. The Washington Post and NY Times have been publishing article after article of similar contents, exaggerating "right-wing denial", portraying any moderating voice as a "Trump defender" and trying to tie this all into a neat "conservatives are anti-science morons" narrative. It's insulting, patronizing, reductive, misleading and most of all hypocritical.

This is all hardly surprising. It's a pandemic during an election year, everyone is trying to make political hay while they can. "Never let a good crisis go to waste" and all of that.

As I said above, we should listen to the CDC and NIH. They know what they're talking about.

Last edited by Hiro11; Mar 15th 2020 at 6:47 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.