2020 Election

Old Jul 18th 2019, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by yellowroom

I must admit, my experience of being “different” in a culture, albeit in a very minor way, and only when I opened my mouth to speak, left me with a deep feeling for those folk who are visibly “different”. Even when it’s well meaning and just folk being curious, it can be so damn tiring and draining to deal with. To have to live your life having to justify your very existence, fight for equality and in extreme cases fear for your life - in the country you where you were born and/or raised? I can’t conceive how people cope with that.
I grew up 'up north' in a poor working class family. I had a very strong 'northern' accent. I went to London to attend uni. The amount of ridicule I got for being from 'up north' was quite remarkable! I also encountered a strong sense of 'stay in your place' when I exhibited ambition at work. The class system in the UK is not a 'racist' system, but it's an equally messed up version of one.

When I came to California to work, in the 80s, I felt a strong sense of relief because the people in CA simply appreciated the fact I was good at my job and gave me every opportunity to progress. It has often been said that in the UK, it's not good enough to simply make money, you have to come from old money to be accepted. Conversely, in the US (at least, in CA), you are celebrated if you actually come from nothing and make money.

Last edited by Steerpike; Jul 18th 2019 at 6:39 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2019, 5:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Conversely, in the US (at least, in CA), you are celebrated if you actually come from nothing and make money.
Are or were?
Old Jul 18th 2019, 6:53 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I grew up 'up north' in a poor working class family. I had a very strong 'northern' accent. I went to London to attend uni. The amount of ridicule I got for being from 'up north' was quite remarkable! I also encountered a strong sense of 'stay in your place' when I exhibited ambition at work. The class system in the UK is not a 'racist' system, but it's an equally messed up version of one.

When I came to California to work, in the 80s, I felt a strong sense of relief because the people in CA simply appreciated the fact I was good at my job and gave me every opportunity to progress. It has often been said that in the UK, it's not good enough to simply make money, you have to come from old money to be accepted. Conversely, in the US (at least, in CA), you are celebrated if you actually come from nothing and make money.
This 100%, Though i think in my experience there is also the residue of anti-Irish racism too. In some ways I feel more accepted in the US than I did in the UK.
Old Jul 18th 2019, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Neither . They are both lucid individuals who speak well.
Originally Posted by johnwoo
Difficult one since the true answer is neither of them.
You're sure about that...?

Climate change will help solve racism? Okay...

Literally has no idea on anything foreign policy related...

Screaming at a fence is not a lucid individual...

Also not to mention she completely conned her constituents out of thousands of jobs...

NY Times Article on Amazon Pullout
Old Jul 18th 2019, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
We seem to be covering this on 2 threads, comes from both directions, one of Kamala Harris's tropes.

Kamala Harris: Trump needs to go back where he came from

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...h-ebof-vpx.cnn
You've misappropriated what Kamala Harris said by first ripping the supposed quote from it's context and then chopping off the last 4 words in her sentence!

To quote her directly (at 3:59 in video) : "......He needs to go back to where HE came from and leave that office"

Meaning - Leave the White House!
Go back to Trump Tower!
Not leave America and go to some "$$$$hole" country, ffs
Old Jul 18th 2019, 7:30 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91

Climate change will help solve racism? Okay...

Link to video

Literally has no idea on anything foreign policy related...

Link to video

Screaming at a fence is not a lucid individual...

Link to video

Also not to mention she completely conned her constituents out of thousands of jobs...

NY Times Article on Amazon Pullout
Oh for whoever's sake, look at the links you've posted. Talk about the politics of the echo-chamber.
In the first one, the twatter posting it has misquoted Ocasio-Cortez's words. What she actually said, and with which it's difficult to disagree, is that it's inevitable that a move to sustainable energy will create jobs, and that the economic benefits will "help to achieve economic, social and racial justice" in the US.
The second one is risible. A chop-edited hatchet job by from the Daily Caller, posted as evidence of anything at all, is just silly. I've no idea of the context of the clip, nor of what happened in the bits cut out and spliced together to make that edit. What can be said, of course, is that under the agreed rulings of assorted international bodies, the occupation of the West Bank, and the subsequent colonization efforts that have taken place there, are indeed illegal, and for sure can be characterized as an "occupation of Palestine." Which bit of what she said is evidence of her having "no idea on anything foreign policy related"?
I don't think I understand the point of your third clip, either. Some people are standing at the fence, trying to get the attention of the people inside (perhaps the folks in the truck visible when the camera pans to the left?) - and while it's clearly not productive to set up a chant, even if the "free the children" sentiment is a bit more admirable than the kind of nonsense that Trump's rally audiences come up with, it's hardly the strongest argument by those on the right to hold this up as an example of poor behaviour.

So, 0 out of 3, not a good strike rate if you're trying to score points against a first-term Congresswoman.

And stop with the Amazon thing. That's been debunked so often and so thoroughly I'm not even going to bother rehearsing it again.
Old Jul 18th 2019, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Oh for whoever's sake, look at the links you've posted. Talk about the politics of the echo-chamber.
In the first one, the twatter posting it has misquoted Ocasio-Cortez's words. What she actually said, and with which it's difficult to disagree, is that it's inevitable that a move to sustainable energy will create jobs, and that the economic benefits will "help to achieve economic, social and racial justice" in the US.
The second one is risible. A chop-edited hatchet job by from the Daily Caller, posted as evidence of anything at all, is just silly. I've no idea of the context of the clip, nor of what happened in the bits cut out and spliced together to make that edit. What can be said, of course, is that under the agreed rulings of assorted international bodies, the occupation of the West Bank, and the subsequent colonization efforts that have taken place there, are indeed illegal, and for sure can be characterized as an "occupation of Palestine." Which bit of what she said is evidence of her having "no idea on anything foreign policy related"?
I don't think I understand the point of your third clip, either. Some people are standing at the fence, trying to get the attention of the people inside (perhaps the folks in the truck visible when the camera pans to the left?) - and while it's clearly not productive to set up a chant, even if the "free the children" sentiment is a bit more admirable than the kind of nonsense that Trump's rally audiences come up with, it's hardly the strongest argument by those on the right to hold this up as an example of poor behaviour.

So, 0 out of 3, not a good strike rate if you're trying to score points against a first-term Congresswoman.

And stop with the Amazon thing. That's been debunked so often and so thoroughly I'm not even going to bother rehearsing it again.
And this is why it's hard for people on the right to discuss anything with left-leaning people. Absolutely anything that even slightly leans to the right, is debunked as a 'hatch job' or troll-material. Yet somehow CNN is a reputable source for news?

The fact AOC would even take part in the border shenanigans is laughable. Take care of your constituents, not people that clearly knew the punishment before they attempted the crime and are now whining that they're being held in probably better conditions than where they came from.
Old Jul 18th 2019, 8:38 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

And this is why it's hard for people on the right to discuss anything with left-leaning people. Absolutely anything that even slightly leans to the right, is debunked as a 'hatch job' or troll-material. Yet somehow CNN is a reputable source for news?

The fact AOC would even take part in the border shenanigans is laughable. Take care of your constituents, not people that clearly knew the punishment before they attempted the crime and are now whining that they're being held in probably better conditions than where they came from.
Are you trying to claim that your second video-clip - the one where AOC's comments are intercut with random WTF-ery from unrelated video clips - is a reasonable source on which to base an opinion? If so, then I throw your "it's hard to discuss..." comment straight back at you. There's got to be some sort of minimum standard of proof if you're going to throw accusations of ignorance at a politician - and I would suggest that minimum standard at the very least includes video that has not been edited for supposedly comic effect by a "news" organization of the calibre of the Daily Caller. I don't believe I made a reference to CNN.

Why wouldn't a Federal politician take part in the "border shenanigans?" Isn't the border looked after by a Federal agency? Isn't an interest in Federal policy matters exactly, and precisely, what a US Representative is supposed to have? I honestly, genuinely don't understand the nature of your criticism of AOC in this respect. It comes across as unbearably condescending, just one step removed from "poor little woman, get back in the kitchen where you belong," and I'm sure that isn't your intention.
Old Jul 18th 2019, 8:41 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Are you trying to claim that your second video-clip - the one where AOC's comments are intercut with random WTF-ery from unrelated video clips - is a reasonable source on which to base an opinion? If so, then I throw your "it's hard to discuss..." comment straight back at you. There's got to be some sort of minimum standard of proof if you're going to throw accusations of ignorance at a politician - and I would suggest that minimum standard at the very least includes video that has not been edited for supposedly comic effect by a "news" organization of the calibre of the Daily Caller. I don't believe I made a reference to CNN.

Why wouldn't a Federal politician take part in the "border shenanigans?" Isn't the border looked after by a Federal agency? Isn't an interest in Federal policy matters exactly, and precisely, what a US Representative is supposed to have? I honestly, genuinely don't understand the nature of your criticism of AOC in this respect. It comes across as unbearably condescending, just one step removed from "poor little woman, get back in the kitchen where you belong," and I'm sure that isn't your intention.

+1
Old Jul 19th 2019, 2:10 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Yes.

Old Jul 19th 2019, 2:51 am
Account Closed

I can see how people can have strongly held views, GND is not going to work but I can visualise why people would want it to.

Having views that are contradictory I find confusing.I think it was Bernie that said open borders was a Koch Brothers proposal.
Old Jul 19th 2019, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Open Borders is an inevitable outcome of chasing a truly free market economy - so technically it should be where the Republicans end-up. Democrats seem to have ended-up closer to that position on the Humanitarian side, chasing the "progressive" dream. It's all a bit peculiar.

Cortez is from the same school as Corbyn in the UK - laudable ideals but thinks you can achieve them while annoying everyone around you that you need to convince to come along on the journey with you, as well as having some notion on humanity which is far from the reality of where it ever will be. This is the true reason any real form of "socialism" never has a chance of working - some people will always be greedy, not everyone would do things for the better of all. That said, rampant Capitalism has just as many issues - you can;t rely on people doing good by others just because they do well themselves. Healthcare here being a good example of something that just has to have some wider, over arching ownership - everybody dies, if paying for it is a necessity, then managing the process of illness/health leading to that requires a Community effort, somehow. I do think that is starting to get closer to being a possibility.
Old Jul 19th 2019, 2:44 pm
Account Closed

I was looking at the next round:

Warren and Sanders will join Delaney, Hickenlooper, Ryan, Bullock, Williamson, Klobuchar, O'Rourke and Buttigieg on July 30.

Harris and Biden will join Gillibrand, Gabbard, Bennet, de Blasio, Inslee, Booker, Yang and Castro on July 31.

They seem to have put the minorities together, not sure how that will impact the dynamics. The obvious battle will be Biden/Harris, what will Biden do? First thought would be time for some payback but reasonable to assume Harris has something ready. Looking at it I would assume the fun and games would be in the second night but realise that there could be surprises. Only 4 or 5 currently have presence so the rest need to make an impact and time is running out.
Old Jul 19th 2019, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I was looking at the next round:
They seem to have put the minorities together, not sure how that will impact the dynamics.
Correction: By (un?)luck-of-the-draw the minorities have all ended up together on night 2.
CNN did nothing intentional to create this outcome.

It was completely random; the actual draw was televised last night...watch below starting at 2:11....and again at 10:28....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbzI_u6tJu0

Edit....whoops - looks like video won't embed. sorry. You'll just have to take my word for it

Last edited by MMcD; Jul 19th 2019 at 3:50 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2019, 3:50 pm
Account Closed

I was not suggesting it was intentional. More a comment about the dynamics.

I know they have some pre sorting, but not for that category. My guess is that the pre sorting has made the outcome more like, if unintentionally.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.