2020 Election

Old Jul 13th 2019, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I have not read her policy, but from what you have written, I assume refugee in context is organized from outside of the US. Asylum is from within the US
That's my understanding too. So, assuming it's a correct reflection of Warren's policy, it's logical at the least.
Old Jul 13th 2019, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like there will be a big culling of candidates for the September debates:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...tember-debate/
Old Jul 13th 2019, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

https://medium.com/@teamwarren/a-fai...m-8fff69cd674e

Raise the refugee cap. At a time when 70 million are displaced around the world, President Trump has abused his authority to lower the refugee cap for the United States, admitting just over 22,000 refugees in total last year. I’ll welcome 125,000 refugees in my first year, and ramping up to at least 175,000 refugees per year by the end of my first term.

Affirm asylum protections. We should welcome those fleeing violence, not imprison them in cages. As president, I will reverse Trump’s efforts to stack the deck against asylum applicants. I’ll ensure that asylum seekers can safely present themselves at ports of entry for humane, efficient processing, including by ending the metering and “Remain in Mexico” policies. I’ll restore President Obama’s promise to extend asylum for those fleeing domestic or gang violence and affirm asylum protections for gender identity and sexual orientation-based asylum claims. I’ll streamline processes to eliminate the backlog of individuals waiting for an asylum adjudication. And I’ll pardon those convicted of providing food and water to migrants — because no one should go to jail simply for providing humanitarian aid to another person in need.
I got the number wrong, but not sure it matters.

What I do not understand is why there is a limit on one and not the other. Or limits at all.

Put it another way most H1b's are also subject to a cap, it would be like saying there is a cap if you apply outside the US but not if you apply in the US. So what would people do when the cap is reached, apply in the US.

Can not help think I am missing something, her team must have been working on this for a long time.
Old Jul 13th 2019, 8:49 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
What I do not understand is why there is a limit on one and not the other. Or limits at all.
Can not help think I am missing something, her team must have been working on this for a long time.
One is discretionary, and decisions are made among cooperating International partners.
The other is a requirement under International conventions.

Last edited by kimilseung; Jul 13th 2019 at 8:52 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2019, 9:04 pm
Account Closed

One is discretionary, and decisions are made among cooperating International partners.
The other is a requirement under International conventions.
I understand that.

However it is still the same people in basically the same situation, the only real difference is where you are. The difference seems to be the cost of travel, a Refugee presumably has their transportation paid whilst an Asylum Seeker has to pay to get the Port of Entry.

A Refugee has the advantage of being pre processed but is subject to the wait time involved and the discretionary nature, and of course the numerical limitation. An Asylum seeker gets to come immediately and then go through the process in the US without any discretionary or numerical limitations.

Just wonder what the advice would be on here if somebody was in this situation? Apply as a Refugee and if that does not work within your time frame go for Asylum seems logical.
Old Jul 13th 2019, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I understand that.

However it is still the same people in basically the same situation, the only real difference is where you are. The difference seems to be the cost of travel, a Refugee presumably has their transportation paid whilst an Asylum Seeker has to pay to get the Port of Entry.

A Refugee has the advantage of being pre processed but is subject to the wait time involved and the discretionary nature, and of course the numerical limitation. An Asylum seeker gets to come immediately and then go through the process in the US without any discretionary or numerical limitations.

Just wonder what the advice would be on here if somebody was in this situation? Apply as a Refugee and if that does not work within your time frame go for Asylum seems logical.
I'm going to presume that someone rejected as a refugee is unlikely to find more joy traveling to the border and applying for asylum.

There are also international agreements as to where asylum seekers can apply.
Old Jul 13th 2019, 9:12 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

However it is still the same people in basically the same situation,
No its not despite overlap.
Old Jul 13th 2019, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

They may be outliers, but from a Venn diagram point of view most will be covered by both. Does make sense as the definition of an Asylee has changed mess to vary depending on the Court.

My first thought is that all Refugees would qualify for Asylum but maybe I am wrong. One of the complications is that the UNHCR definition is a bit vague and some places interpret it much more restrictively than US Courts have so yes you could be rejected as a Refugee but could still claim Asylum.
Old Jul 14th 2019, 12:13 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Refugee in context is organized from outside of the US <insert country> .
Asylum is from within the US < insert country>
This is correct.

note: Adjusted quote to reflect international agreements/standards
Old Jul 14th 2019, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

I got the number wrong, but not sure it matters.

Put it another way most H1b's are also subject to a cap, it would be like saying there is a cap if you apply outside the US but not if you apply in the US. So what would people do when the cap is reached, apply in the US.

There isn't one class of refugees but two- one is the bulk of international refugees, who are not allowed to reach ports of entry, and to whom the numerical limits apply, while the other is the mainly Central Americans, who are allowed to reach ports of entry and get accepted outside the limits, which arguably is wrong because unlike most of the the first group, they do not face repression from their governments.
Old Jul 14th 2019, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by vespucci
There isn't one class of refugees but two- one is the bulk of international refugees, who are not allowed to reach ports of entry, and to whom the numerical limits apply, while the other is the mainly Central Americans, who are allowed to reach ports of entry and get accepted outside the limits, which arguably is wrong because unlike most of the the first group, they do not face repression from their governments.
Not sure what you mean by not allowed? More an issue of it has been more difficult historically so numbers have been lower. No reason I can think of why that would continue.

The morning news suggests Beto may not be around much longer and that Biden whose many focus has been attacking Trump will need to refocus. As he has been attacked on his Immigration history seems reasonable he will question others plan.
Old Jul 14th 2019, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Central Americans don't face repression from their governments??
Old Jul 14th 2019, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what you mean by not allowed? More an issue of it has been more difficult historically so numbers have been lower. No reason I can think of why that would continue.

The morning news suggests Beto may not be around much longer and that Biden whose many focus has been attacking Trump will need to refocus. As he has been attacked on his Immigration history seems reasonable he will question others plan.
They're refused visas and have no way to get anywhere near the US.
Old Jul 14th 2019, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Central Americans don't face repression from their governments??
Have you ever heard them say that they're being persecuted for fighting for freedom of the press, the release of political prisoners, .... ? They suffer from crime and poverty, true, but in the eyes of many countries that doesn't make them eligible to be accepted as refugees. There are millions more deserving refugees but they can't get to the border.
Old Jul 14th 2019, 8:15 pm
Account Closed

They're refused visas and have no way to get anywhere near the US.
Mexico is near the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.