2020 Election

Old Jul 7th 2019, 2:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2020 Election

New Orleans (CNN) California Sen. Kamala Harris unveiled a $100 billion plan to invest in black homeownership -- a proposal the 2020 presidential candidate said that, if elected, would set in motion her broader plan to tackle the US racial wealth gap.
"So we must right the wrong and -- after generations of discrimination -- give black families a real shot at homeownership -- historically one of the most powerful drivers of wealth," Harris said in a speech Saturday at the Essence Festival in New Orleans in what promises to be the beginning of a series of policy rollouts focusing on the black community

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/06/polit...gap/index.html

With this on top of support for Federal mandated Bussing, will be interesting to see how this will play.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
With this on top of support for Federal mandated Bussing, will be interesting to see how this will play.
Might want to start by understanding Harris' position on busing. It's a little more nuanced than you want it to be.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jul 7th 2019 at 5:53 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 5:30 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Might want to start by understanding Haris' position on busing. It's a little more nuanced than you want it to be.
I watched the debate and heard what she said too Biden. He is against federally mandated bussing, she is for it.

Old Jul 7th 2019, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I watched the debate and heard what she said too Biden. He is against federally mandated bussing, she is for it.
Not an accurate statement. And, of course, the subject was busing in the '70's anyway.

https://www.vox.com/2019/7/5/2068306...sing-joe-biden

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jul 7th 2019 at 6:01 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 6:23 pm
Account Closed

During Thursday night's debate, Harris challenged former Vice President Joe Biden, the front-runner in most polls, over his comments about working with segregationist senators and his record on civil rights.

She accused him of working with the lawmakers to oppose busing black students to schools attended by mostly white students.

"You also worked with them to oppose busing, and you know, there was a little girl in California who was part of the second class to integrate her public schools," she said Thursday, talking to Biden. "And she was bused to school every day. And that little girl was me."

Biden said that Harris “mischaracterized my position across the board."
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...ebate-comments

Sen. Kamala Harris discusses race and calls out Joe Biden for opposing busing. "It cannot be an intellectual debate among Democrats," she says, "we have to take it seriously."
Certainly does not sound like a historical debate.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...ebate-comments

Certainly does not sound like a historical debate.
How so?

From the link I posted:

"At a recent campaign event in Iowa, Harris said that while federally mandated busing was necessary to integrate schools in the 1960s and ’70s, she didn’t think it was necessary now, because she no longer sees state or local opposition to integration. In fact, she said she believed it was a decision that should be left up to local school districts and municipalities, rather than the federal government."

There's certainly an argument to be had that her position regarding contemporary busing is exactly what Biden's position was in the '70's, but equally there's an argument that the situation regarding school integration is different than it was back then.

And her debate with Biden is about historical busing.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jul 7th 2019 at 7:22 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 7:25 pm
Account Closed

How so?

From the link I posted:

"At a recent campaign event in Iowa, Harris said that while federally mandated busing was necessary to integrate schools in the 1960s and ’70s, she didn’t think it was necessary now, because she no longer sees state or local opposition to integration. In fact, she said she believed it was a decision that should be left up to local school districts and municipalities, rather than the federal government."
I thought that was Biden's position?

Berkeley is an interesting example, somewhere I know and resolved its integration issue through economic means. Reminded me of Boulder although they certainly did have at least one Hispanic school, no we do not discriminate and we do not have to as very few can afford to live in our school district, problem solved.

Old Jul 8th 2019, 12:57 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Black voters vote Democratic? $25K free for black voters!
Young people vote Democratic? Free college for everyone!

Primary politics, love this stuff.
Old Jul 8th 2019, 1:13 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Not a revolutionary idea. Quite a lot countries manage it, as did the UK until the Thatcher years. And of course it isn't free, it's free at the point of delivery. You get an educated and productive workforce that is not saddled with debt before they even start and so they are able to start making a contribution to the economy immediately. It seems eminently sensible to me. Some countries, some of the most prosperous in Europe, even offer it free, or almost free, to non nationals. Seems to work for them.

Old Jul 8th 2019, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I thought that was Biden's position?
Her position for what should happen today is the same as what Biden felt should happen in the 70's. Harris' point is that the situation in the 70's regarding school integration was rather different from today's.

Berkeley is an interesting example, somewhere I know and resolved its integration issue through economic means. Reminded me of Boulder although they certainly did have at least one Hispanic school, no we do not discriminate and we do not have to as very few can afford to live in our school district, problem solved.
Almost 10% black, 11% Hispanic and 20% Asian. Hardly "very few" minorities.
Old Jul 8th 2019, 1:36 am
Account Closed

Castro will take some beating, free abortions for males no matter what their status.

But I am sure despite the bar being set so high some will have a go.
Old Jul 8th 2019, 1:51 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Not a revolutionary idea. Quite a lot countries manage it, as did the UK until the Thatcher years. And of course it isn't free, it's free at the point of delivery. You get an educated and productive workforce that is not saddled with debt before they even start and so they are able to start making a contribution to the economy immediately. It seems eminently sensible to me. Some countries, some of the most prosperous in Europe, even offer it free, or almost free, to non nationals. Seems to work for them.
That's great. Still not going to get anyone elected President. This is pure Primary politics for the true believers to lap up.
Old Jul 8th 2019, 2:01 am
Account Closed

Her position for what should happen today is the same as what Biden felt should happen in the 70's. Harris' point is that the situation in the 70's regarding school integration was rather different from today's.

Almost 10% black, 11% Hispanic and 20% Asian. Hardly "very few" minorities.
So still needs bussing?

Certainly when I was there stuck me as the Boulder of the west, very Progressive, so I was surprised that Busing was needed. They resolved the issue by making the school district unaffordable for disadvantaged minorities, not something to celebrate surely.
Old Jul 8th 2019, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So still needs bussing?
My understanding is that it allocates places to ensure racial diversity in each school. There's one high school so pretty much by by definition it reflects the racial makeup of Berkeley.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jul 8th 2019 at 2:11 am.
Old Jul 8th 2019, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Considering the Iraq war cost over $1 trillion and the President requested $716 billion for national security for fiscal year 2019, why shouldn't education be free?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.