2020 Election

Old Mar 11th 2019, 7:53 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by Leslie
Couldn't agree more. She's almost as clumsy as Kevin McCarthy and Donald Trump when it comes to making insensitive remarks that may telegraph the wrong sentiment. She's not quite as bad as David Duke though but perhaps you disagree.

The left is obsessed with Israel? Good to know. You're very knowledgeable about all of these "left obsessions".

Maybe we need a definition of 'obsessed' or perhaps even a definition of 'left'.
That’s a very poor response from one of our more intelligent posters.
Old Mar 11th 2019, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You can criticise the Netanyahu government without repeatedly deploying age old anti-Semitic tropes.

The Left’s utter obsession with Israel to the exclusion of all others is rather telling. We’re told that Israel is committing ‘genocide’ against the Palestinians when their population growth is one of the highest in the world. Meanwhile where there is actual genocide/ethnic cleansing being perpetrated by state actors - Burma, Darfur, Western Sahara to name but a few - there is barely a whimper.
I must say, I haven't seen an 'utter obsession' with the left regarding Israel.

Edit To Add: I've always felt that the democrats have gone way too soft on Israel, and put it down to the fact that Jews in the US tend to vote Democrat.

Is it anti-semitic to say 'Jews vote for Democrats' (historically, and statistically speaking)?

Last edited by Steerpike; Mar 11th 2019 at 8:16 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2019, 8:30 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
That’s a very poor response from one of our more intelligent posters.
*sigh*
Old Mar 11th 2019, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I was just answering the question and I thought the Graun would be considered left, lots of other media sources I could have used to make the same point. The overt focus on one of the less nasty countries in the area does raise questions.
Most of those countries aren't receiving oodles of US "aid", nor do most have a member of the UN security council protecting them regardless of how odious their conduct is. So questioning AIPAC and US support for Israel is absolutely legitimate imo.
Old Mar 11th 2019, 8:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Most of those countries aren't receiving oodles of US "aid", nor do most have a member of the UN security council protecting them regardless of how odious their conduct is. So questioning AIPAC and US support for Israel is absolutely legitimate imo.
Since 1993, the United States has provided more than $5 billion in assistance to the West Bank and Gaza. This generous program continued across Republican and Democratic administrations, with bipartisan Congressional support, despite ups and downs in the peace process, spikes and drops in violence and frustrations in Washington and Jerusalem with Palestinian leaders.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/31/68974...ds-to-continue
Old Mar 11th 2019, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Since 1993, the United States has provided more than $5 billion in assistance to the West Bank and Gaza. This generous program continued across Republican and Democratic administrations, with bipartisan Congressional support, despite ups and downs in the peace process, spikes and drops in violence and frustrations in Washington and Jerusalem with Palestinian leaders.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/31/68974...ds-to-continue
And? How's that working out under Trump?

The West Bank and Gaza aren't even a country...

Compare and contrast to:

"Since 1985, the United States has provided nearly US$3 billion in grants annually to Israel, with Israel being the largest annual recipient of American aid from 1976 to 2004 and the largest cumulative recipient of aid ($121 billion, not inflation-adjusted) since World War II"

And on the Security Council side:

"In addition to financial and military aid, the United States also provides political support to Israel, having used its United Nations Security Council veto power 42 times with respect to resolutions relating to Israel, out of a total 83 times in which its veto has ever been used"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel...ates_relations

Last edited by Giantaxe; Mar 11th 2019 at 8:55 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2019, 9:39 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I'm not convinced that very many of her critics have listened to what she actually said.
Old Mar 11th 2019, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

I'm not convinced that very many of her critics have listened to what she actually said.
Or tweeted.
Old Mar 11th 2019, 9:56 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

*sigh*
The feeling of exasperation is mutual.
Old Mar 12th 2019, 12:35 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by Steerpike

Is it anti-semitic to say 'Jews vote for Democrats' (historically, and statistically speaking)?
No, I don't think you've violated any of the tropes there.
Old Mar 12th 2019, 4:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

No, I don't think you've violated any of the tropes there.
Am I allowed to say Jews are influential in the movie / music industry? I don't see that as a negative, just an observation. David Geffen, Stephen Spielberg, JJ Abrams, Harvey Weinstein, Woody Allen, Mel Brooks, Barbara Streisand, Adam Sandler, Stanley Kubrick, Sean Penn, Natalie Portman, Kirk Douglas, Paul Newman, Tony Curtis Ben Stiller, Larry David, Dustin Hoffman, Bette Midler, Paul Simon, Art Garfunkel, William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Jeff Goldblum ... holy shit that's an impressive list of 'star' power! I started just listing a few I knew off hand, but then did a search; OMG I had no idea that some of these folks were Jewish, like Kirk Douglas, Paul Newman, Paul Simon, Dustin Hoffman, etc! Could such an observation somehow be considered anti-semitic?
Old Mar 12th 2019, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Am I allowed to say Jews are influential in the movie / music industry? I don't see that as a negative, just an observation. David Geffen, Stephen Spielberg, JJ Abrams, Harvey Weinstein, Woody Allen, Mel Brooks, Barbara Streisand, Adam Sandler, Stanley Kubrick, Sean Penn, Natalie Portman, Kirk Douglas, Paul Newman, Tony Curtis Ben Stiller, Larry David, Dustin Hoffman, Bette Midler, Paul Simon, Art Garfunkel, William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Jeff Goldblum ... holy shit that's an impressive list of 'star' power! I started just listing a few I knew off hand, but then did a search; OMG I had no idea that some of these folks were Jewish, like Kirk Douglas, Paul Newman, Paul Simon, Dustin Hoffman, etc! Could such an observation somehow be considered anti-semitic?
Now allegedly there just might be the odd one or two people from a Jewish background who are somewhat influential in the diamond industry. Perhaps the odd lawyer or financial firm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...businesspeople
Old Mar 12th 2019, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Steerpike;12651940]Am I allowed to say Jews are influential in the movie / music industry? I don't see that as a negative, just an observation. David Geffen, Stephen Spielberg, JJ Abrams, Harvey Weinstein, Woody Allen, Mel Brooks, Barbara Streisand, Adam Sandler, Stanley Kubrick, Sean Penn, Natalie Portman, Kirk Douglas, Paul Newman, Tony Curtis Ben Stiller, Larry David, Dustin Hoffman, Bette Midler, Paul Simon, Art Garfunkel, William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Jeff Goldblum ... holy shit that's an impressive list of 'star' power! I started just listing a few I knew off hand, but then did a search; OMG I had no idea that some of these folks were Jewish, like Kirk Douglas, Paul Newman, Paul Simon, Dustin Hoffman, etc! Could such an observation somehow be considered anti-semitic?[/QUOTE]

Oh! but it is, if your running out off ideas how to demean your political opponent's policies, or the fact that a recent Political comment made ,hit's the nail right
on the head, this strategy now seems to be the one that get's adopted !
The GOP are being "shafted" by the President & his administration, it's all there own fault ,the gutless bunch off toss pot's, they have sold out
hook - line & sinker ,so to deflect they open the draw & pull out the "anti-Semitism" ball,give it a bloody kick, & it deflects the news headlines for several day's
Old Mar 14th 2019, 3:47 pm
Account Closed

Beto is in, could not work out what his policies are.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 4:05 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Pro-immigration, pro-affordable healthcare. One of the selling points to me for Beto is that he seems willing to listen to all sides and come to a conclusion. He's he entrenched in a position before there's been any debate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.