Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

2018 year of monster quakes.

2018 year of monster quakes.

Old Jan 1st 2018, 8:08 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2018 year of monster quakes.

Great news and I live near the cascadia subduction zone, decades overdue for a 9.0
https://luxoraleader.com/geologists-...quakes/335062/
There are numerous other articles on the same topic.
Old Jan 1st 2018, 8:09 am

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2018 year of monster quakes.

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Great news and I live near the cascadia subduction zone, decades overdue for a 9.0
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascadia_subduction_zone
Old Jan 1st 2018, 8:11 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

No good worrying about it. If the Big One hits California I'll be one of the first to grab a nice slice of ocean front property in Nevada or Arizona
Old Jan 4th 2018, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
I watched a fascinating (and very, very scary) lecture on the paleo-history of Cascadia quakes. The take home good new is if you live in Seattle you'll be OK. Just don't live on the coast.

I think you will have more trouble pumping your own gas than by earthquakes frankly
Old Jan 4th 2018, 3:08 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

No quakes please, let alone monster ones. I don't like them.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who lived in Tokyo where quakes where a near weekly event and sizable ones were a few times a year, I really don't need any quakes in the PNW. It always amazed me when visitors to Tokyo were hoping to experience a quake - that changes quite quickly.
I was lucky enough to arrive just after the Great Hanshin quake of Jan '95 to find my desk broken by a falling bookcase, and left before 2011 Tohoku quake.
Too many nights I woke to see the doors banging, walls swaying and trying to decide if it will pass quickly or if I should get out of bed to possible safety.
Having lived in SoCal I have my bug-out bag ready, let's pray that I never need it.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by steveq
I watched a fascinating (and very, very scary) lecture on the paleo-history of Cascadia quakes. The take home good new is if you live in Seattle you'll be OK. Just don't live on the coast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ7Qc3bsxjI

I think you will have more trouble pumping your own gas than by earthquakes frankly
It likely would destroy roads, bridges etc all the way into the populated Sound and Willamette Valley.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 2:51 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Shaken awake at 2.40am by a 4.4 centered in Berkeley. This is only the 3rd quake I've felt while living in No Cal, where as when we lived in So Cal we experienced dozens of them.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Living in S. CA, small eq's do happen occasionally, but hope the big one doesn't happen or else we're f@cked. We are very close to a small branch of the San Andreas. The roads, bridges and over passes would be a no go, either cracked, down or getting safety checked. We will stay put and hope we have everything we need in the eq kit.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 8:21 pm
`

Originally Posted by OldJuddian
It always amazed me when visitors to Tokyo were hoping to experience a quake
We've had that with visitors to here.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
We've had that with visitors to here.
Well, experiencing a small quake is a great way to bring some reality to the situation without actually suffering; kinda like a small car crash that reminds you to wear your seatbelt, or to pay more attention to the road ...

I lived in SF during the 'big one' (89) and that was an experience never to be forgotten. Things like keeping a supply of drinking water and canned goods on hand, batteries, flashlights, are forever burned into my mind. The worst that can happen is that you are killed or seriously maimed; but a more likely outcome is that you are severely inconvenienced by a lack of food/water/heat/light.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 7:32 pm
`

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Well, experiencing a small quake is a great way to bring some reality to the situation without actually suffering; kinda like a small car crash that reminds you to wear your seatbelt, or to pay more attention to the road ...
Note sure that's what they think .
I feel they see it more as part of a ' real NZ experience ' during their hols .

Nice little shake this morning . Enough to have me leg it just in case it became prolonged.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 5:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Peru has had 7.1 quake.

Strong earthquake hits southern Peru - World - CBC News
Old Jan 15th 2018, 4:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS
Note sure that's what they think .
I feel they see it more as part of a ' real NZ experience ' during their hols .

Nice little shake this morning . Enough to have me leg it just in case it became prolonged.
Hopefully that does not mean what it sounds like it might.