2016 Election

Old Nov 14th 2016, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 Election

Originally Posted by MMcD
What a horrible week

Starting with the passing of Leonard Cohen last Monday, then Tuesday's election results and what they portend, to Leon Russells passing yesterday, next the announcement of Steve Bannon as Trump's Senior Advisor and now Gwen Ifill's untimely passing at the age of 61.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG-_ZDrypec
Yes - you're right - it really has been a horrible week
Old Nov 15th 2016, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
Wow. You turned her in to the authorities right? I mean, you wouldn't have allowed somebody like that to keep doing what she was doing just so that you could get somebody to clean your house for cash? Specially not if you yourself were an immigrant (legal of course!) because then you would be risking your own immigration status by breaking the law.

When we start referring to the people that employ undocumented workers as "illegals" then I might take some of the anti-PC outrage on this thread more seriously.

People have been crossing the border for jobs because there is a demand for cheap labor. Until we start cracking down on the people that employ undocumented workers then this whole conversation is just a joke.

I've tried to nicely point out that the term 'illegals' is a hurtful term. If those of you (who expended so much energy arguing and shouting me down in order to defend your right to call people racist names) feel that it is so very important --- then by all means keep using the term. Just know that

people who hear you will make judgments about you.
I think that is the point, you judge people by what you consider a term to mean, whether it is meant in the way you think or not. If I use the term illegals for example I do not consider it a bad phrase just the one commonly used in the discussion, what is now the accepted phrase ? Funny, amongst "illegals" I know, that is not unfrequently the phrase they use themselves. Even if someone were to use the phrase and was racist, does that mean all their opinions are wrong ? Or shouldn't be listened to ?

I must say though I do wonder though if some people who complain about illegal immigration really mean all immigration- as the logic of being against illegal immigration often may apply to legal immigration as well. But it is strange that a nation has laws and people defend not applying the laws it has.

Why on earth would I turn someone in for doing what was best for herself and her children ? I was just pointing out the cost to the state was far higher and any contribution made as a policy issue.

So for discussion what is the PC phrase to use ? And just a question- do I tell "illegals" they should stop using the term amongst themselves ?
Old Nov 15th 2016, 1:21 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I've just spent a little time on the Facebook page "The Deplorables" with half a million members.
Its one bad story after another, with hundreds of supporting replies, the occasional post refuting the original just gets ignored. There is almost zero skepticism. The worst stories all seem to originate from a web page called "Freedom Daily" it is a right wing tea party version of the Sunday Sport.

There is a video of Kurds celebrating Christmas, being presented and believed, as being Arabs destroying a Christmas tree in a US mall. Another has hundreds saying that Assange should be given a pardon (no mention what the pardon is for) some saying, bring him back home to America.

Last edited by kimilseung; Nov 15th 2016 at 1:23 am.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 1:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I've just spent a little time on the Facebook page "The Deplorables" with half a million members.
Its one bad story after another, with hundreds of supporting replies, the occasional post refuting the original just gets ignored. There is almost zero skepticism. The worst stories all seem to originate from a web page called "Freedom Daily" it is a right wing tea party version of the Sunday Sport.

There is a video of Kurds celebrating Christmas, being presented and believed, as being Arabs destroying a Christmas tree in a US mall. Another has hundreds saying that Assange should be given a pardon (no mention what the pardon is for) some saying, bring him back home to America.
Sadly..it was to be expected.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 2:02 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung

A theme song has already been written for them:

Old Nov 15th 2016, 2:20 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

It is being reported that Giuliani is the top choice for Secretary of State. That is truly horrifying. Please let me awaken from this nightmare.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 2:34 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
It is being reported that Giuliani is the top choice for Secretary of State.
I was expecting him to select Vladimir Putin, so this doesn't seem so bad in comparison.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
It is being reported that Giuliani is the top choice for Secretary of State. That is truly horrifying. Please let me awaken from this nightmare.
I read his top choice is John Bolton - which is equally horrific. It's like choosing between bubonic plague or smallpox. Which is the better death?

Despair

Last edited by MMcD; Nov 15th 2016 at 3:22 am.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 3:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
I was expecting him to select Vladimir Putin, so this doesn't seem so bad in comparison.
If it was possible it would be one of his sons or his daughter. Keep it in the family
Old Nov 15th 2016, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Noam Chomsky predicted the emergence of someone akin to Mr Trump six years ago.

Old Nov 15th 2016, 4:49 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

I've always loved that beautiful song sung by Whitney Houston "The greatest love of all"

I'll be listening to that song a lot from now on for the next four long years
Old Nov 15th 2016, 5:01 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
I've always loved that beautiful song sung by Whitney Houston "The greatest love of all"

For some reason I've been drawn to The Pretenders' I'll Stand By You this past week
Old Nov 15th 2016, 12:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop

Originally Posted by Wintersong
For some reason I've been drawn to The Pretenders' I'll Stand By You this past week
I'm more inclined to the Moody Blues, Go Now
Old Nov 15th 2016, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Trump will make it to four years. Not because of any nefarious assassination plots, but because he has never held down a job in his life, and certainly not one for four years that means hard work and being continually held to account. He was in it for the publicity, couldn't give it up when he was in the lead and went for the win. Like a bridezilla that is all about the wedding and not the marriage. I give it 18 months before he finds a reason to resign and we have President Pence.

His body language and demeanour remind me of Boris Johnson the morning after Brexit. "Oh shit, what have I done - whaddya mean I actually have to step up and do this thing now"
Old Nov 15th 2016, 12:50 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I'm more inclined to the Moody Blues, Go Now
I suspect we will need this one more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.