2016 Election

Old Nov 9th 2016, 5:02 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 Election

I'm torn. On one hand, we've now elected an offensive bully who's entire platform in a bunch of vague, undeliverable slogans, bullshit and pandering. On the other hand, we've successfully avoided electing a candidate who's every political instinct I disagreed with and a candidate who embodied the self-obsession of the Washington bubble.

The best thing to come out of this is a neat demonstration that an obviously compliant and biased media smugly ensconced in an echo chamber of its own making doesn't know what the hell it's talking about. Also, we get a nice demonstration that treating a large part of the voting base as a bunch of debased racist idiots who need to get back in their box is not a good way to win elections. The DNC deserves what they got here. We're all losers, though.
Old Nov 9th 2016, 5:08 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Has anybody heard from Lesiie?
I'm not dead. Yet.

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Not I. But she called it a year or more ago - I remember her saying 'Democrat fatigue' or something; how unlikely it is for the Dems to get a 3rd run at the presidency.
Yeah, I always felt like this was a Republican year. I felt like we would probably see a Rubio or Bush presidency but, at different times, thought different candidates stood a chance. I was wrong.

So, back during the Republican primary, when everybody thought this Trump thing was just HILARIOUS, I was already nervous.

When Trump won the primary I felt sick and have felt sick ever since. There were times that I was able to persuade myself that there was no way Trump could win. There was no way that the American people could ever support such an abusive and cruel person. I was wrong again.

FWIW, Hillary was a horrible candidate. That's why I didn't support her in 2008. But next to Trump she was like Joan of Arc. I still wonder though if America will ever elect a woman president. The fact that women voted for Trump belies a scary and deep sickness that I find hard to even fathom.

Last edited by Leslie; Nov 9th 2016 at 5:49 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2016, 5:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Y'know my lovely cyber chap. Believe it or not. I watched this unfold and I thought of you. Seriously.
I really didn't think he would win...

While Obamacare didn't seem to do much to reduce cost, it at least allowed folks with pre-existing issue to be insured.
Old Nov 9th 2016, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

A bit pointless to wonder how Sanders might have faired. He wasn't the candidate, very little oppo came out on him during the primary.

If the thinly veiled dog whistle anti-semitic ads from the Trump campaign are anything to go by, a Jewish candidate probably would not have done very well.
Old Nov 9th 2016, 5:25 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
If the thinly veiled dog whistle anti-semitic ads from the Trump campaign are anything to go by, a Jewish candidate probably would not have done very well.
I'm no Trump fan (obviously), but I don't buy the antisemitism argument. The GOP and conservatives generally have largely moved away from that, preferring Islamophobia instead.

As the numbers get crunched, I think that we're going to find that Democratic turnout was down in some (although not all) key areas and that the independents broke for Trump.

Here's a fun factoid to chew on:

-Percentage of Florida vote won by Romney in 2012: 49.1%
-Percentage of Florida vote won by Trump in 2016: 49.1%
Old Nov 9th 2016, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Now it is a battle for change between Trump and the Republican Congress. While the Republicans may control the Senate, I think it is possible establishment Senators will join hands with Democrat Senators on many occasions to block change.
Except Bush and especially Obama successfully got legislation enacted to move lots of powers from the legislatures to the executive.
Trump can do lots of things on a whim. For example pulling the military out of Afghanistan, Turkey and the entire Middle East without notice. Or pardoning Edward Snowden and putting him in charge of the NSA.

But he probably won't. I heard not a hint of "draining the swamp" in his victory speech. Not a word of thanks to wikileaks without whose work his election was not even remotely possible. So it remains to be seen whether or not he was lying, like the rest of them. Time will tell.
Old Nov 9th 2016, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see California was a relative island of sanity - almost two thirds voted for Clinton, we legalized pot and passed background checks for ammunition purchases. Too bad abolishing the death penalty was narrowly defeated.
Old Nov 9th 2016, 6:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
..... Too bad abolishing the death penalty was narrowly defeated.
It barely seems worth the effort as it hasn't been used in more than ten years!
Old Nov 9th 2016, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It barely seems worth the effort as it hasn't been used in more than ten years!
And long may that remain the case.
Old Nov 9th 2016, 6:37 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see California was a relative island of sanity - almost two thirds voted for Clinton, we legalized pot and passed background checks for ammunition purchases. Too bad abolishing the death penalty was narrowly defeated.
But legalizing pot at the Federal level wont happen under the Trump administration.

It would have been better if the gun show loophole were to be closed
Old Nov 9th 2016, 6:37 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

This kind of thinking, that anyone disagreeing with you is "insane", is exactly what led to Trump. Keep it up.
Old Nov 9th 2016, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dc koop
But legalizing pot at the Federal level wont happen under the Trump administration.

Right. But when things are likely blocked at the federal level, the only way forward is at the state. Even with Clinton as president, nothing on the gun control front would have got through congress.
Old Nov 9th 2016, 6:40 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop

What about Obama doing it in his lame duck session, because fck it!
Old Nov 9th 2016, 6:40 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

President Erdogan of Turkey has said that if Trump was elected the the US air strikes against ISIS currently operating from Incirlink air base would no longer be allowed
Old Nov 9th 2016, 6:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Leslie
I'm not dead. Yet.

Yeah, I always felt like this was a Republican year. I felt like we would probably see a Rubio or Bush presidency but, at different times, thought different candidates stood a chance. I was wrong.

So, back during the Republican primary, when everybody thought this Trump thing was just HILARIOUS, I was already nervous.

When Trump won the primary I felt sick and have felt sick ever since. There were times that I was able to persuade myself that there was no way Trump could win. There was no way that the American people could ever support such an abusive and cruel person. I was wrong again.

FWIW, Hillary was a horrible candidate. That's why I didn't support her in 2008. But next to Trump she was like Joan of Arc. I still wonder though if America will ever elect a woman president. The fact that women voted for Trump belies a scary and deep sickness that I find hard to even fathom.
Glad to see you back, I was worried.

Van Jones on CNN called it a White-Lash.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.