2016 Election

Old Nov 8th 2016, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 Election

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
If I have to take it somewhere, I might as well go and vote on the actual day. And as others have commented, I enjoyed the atmosphere at the polling place today. Even though it was the busiest I've ever seen it, I still walked right in, filled in my form immediately, and then waited just a few minutes to put it in the machine.
I know some people get the mail in ballot then drop it off the day of. Here in AZ if you are just dropping off a mail in ballot you can skip the line. I don't think it goes in the machine though, just into a box of mail in ballots to be checked later.

I'm sure people would be up in arms about state rights but the sooner there is Federal oversight of elections so that there is consistent technology, equipment, rules and rights the better. Some of the voter suppression stories I've read today are sickening.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
I will be astonished if Clinton doesn't win.

As far as NAFTA all these establishment experts are the same ones who often supported NAFTA and other trade policies as being beneficial and we have seen the results. Would being tough with the Chinese and re-negotiating NAFTA be a negative ? I am not sure one could objectively with certainty say yes or no. We do know without change what the trends have been.
Ah yes, let's dismiss economist's opinions because they are "establishment experts" rather than explaining why they are wrong.

Anyway, here are some views on NAFTA-related job losses:

"Sanders said that NAFTA, which Clinton used to support, cost the U.S. economy 800,000 jobs. There is a report from a left-leaning policy group that reached that conclusion. On the other hand, many other nonpartisan reports found that the trade deal produced neither significant job losses nor job gains.

Sanders overshoots on NAFTA job losses | PolitiFact

Last edited by Giantaxe; Nov 8th 2016 at 7:44 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if this is just a joke but you never know with some people. If it is true then Trump is going to have a hard time tonight.

Old Nov 8th 2016, 7:52 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Not sure if this is just a joke but you never know with some people. If it is true then Trump is going to have a hard time tonight.

https://twitter.com/sidhubaba/status/796086208552194052
That screenshot in the tweet was taken from 4-chan, so forgetting that just about everything posted there is trolling, the likelihood that whoever wrote it is even old enough to vote anyway is pretty small.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That screenshot in the tweet was taken from 4-chan, so forgetting that just about everything posted there is trolling, the likelihood that whoever wrote it is even old enough to vote anyway is pretty small.
Yes, I appreciated the likely source but it also made me think of all those Trump trolls in Macedonia, they ain't voting either. Another one of Trump's houses of cards.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

As regards to Trumps failed lawsuit over a Nevada polling place that as legally required remained open so those still in line could vote.......they also asked the judge to order that the names of the poll workers be released to them...also shot down. Clearly they only wanted to sic their twitter trolls on them.

They also wanted the voting records of who voted after regularl hours so they could see who the late voters were. What a complete asshole.

Last edited by dakota44; Nov 8th 2016 at 8:49 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Ah yes, let's dismiss economist's opinions because they are "establishment experts" rather than explaining why they are wrong.

Anyway, here are some views on NAFTA-related job losses:

"Sanders said that NAFTA, which Clinton used to support, cost the U.S. economy 800,000 jobs. There is a report from a left-leaning policy group that reached that conclusion. On the other hand, many other nonpartisan reports found that the trade deal produced neither significant job losses nor job gains.

Sanders overshoots on NAFTA job losses | PolitiFact
You linked to an excellent article which shows how difficult it is to be definitive about NAFTA's effects using existing economic models, and in particular how much did the jobs losses result from NAFTA or also trade policies with China.

Much of the economic theory about NAFTA/free trade may be entirely valid, the difficulty is in the implementation in particular the timing and the effects of such trade agreements on a particular part of the country. Just looking at the number of factories moving to Mexico and the lost income of those who lost their jobs I am not sure if that is included in studies on NAFTA.

Same type of thinking happened in UK with the coal industry. I remember a study saying how beneficial would be for UK to import coal- without calculating costs of social benefits that would result from pits being closed.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
As regards to Trumps failed lawsuit over a Nevada polling place that as legally required remained open so those still in line could vote.......they also asked the judge to order that the names of the poll workers be released to them...also shot down. Clearly they only wanted to sic their twitter trolls on them.

They also wanted the voting records of who voted after regularl hours so they could see who the late voters were. What a complete asshole.
I can understand tough politics and maybe to sue a polling place not following the rules, but asking for names of poll workers ? That is really obnoxious.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
For those who vote in person. Do you go in person because your state doesn't offer mail in ballots or is there some sort of fun in going in person and waiting in line?
Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I always vote in person as I enjoy the "buzz' of seeing democracy in action. I actually feel quite emotional about it.
Me too...
Plus -I enjoy the communal aspect. Here, in Los Angeles - there's so little we do together, publicly. Most of the time we're hermetically sealed away in our homes or cars.

I also enjoy the ritual.

Putting my ballot into the machine myself seems far safer than trusting the US mail and whoever opens the envelopes.
But there is also the issue of the mail actually arriving. Twice this year every single piece of mail that I put in the box on a specific date didn't arrive until three whole months after they were mailed. Who knows what corner of the PO they'd been moldering away in.
Don't have much faith in post office. I keep receiving mail clearly addressed to distant neighbors - (including ballot initiative pamphlets and flyers meant for them).

So Trump has filed a lawsuit in Nevada because a polling place (Hispanic neighborhood..as if I needed to point that out) because the polling place had the audacity to follow Nevada law and remained open to allow those in line at regular closing time to exercise their legal right to vote. The man and his minions have zero shame.
A judge has already denied the admissibility of his rubbish lawsuit.

Anyway....cast my ballot this morning. And like everything else related to this wild election....the polling place itself was a first:

For the last umpteen years our local polling location has been at a neighbor's pool house (so la la land)

For this election however, it was switched to the Mercedes Benz of Beverly Hills showroom. .....
"Make Detroit great again "?

Last edited by MMcD; Nov 8th 2016 at 9:40 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
You linked to an excellent article which shows how difficult it is to be definitive about NAFTA's effects using existing economic models, and in particular how much did the jobs losses result from NAFTA or also trade policies with China.
Not really. All bar one of those studies agree that the impact has been minimal. The one that claims 800k job losses merely extrapolated from the increase in the trade deficit with Mexico since NAFTA passed, hardly an economically reliable way to do it.

There is far more evidence that China's emergence as an economic power has had a large effect on US jobs and there is no specific trade agreement with them.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Nov 8th 2016 at 9:14 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

https://twitter.com/sidhubaba/status/796086208552194052
Trump's Troll Army Is Having a Hard Time Voting

Looks like "sad pepe" might be a meme in the making.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Trump's Troll Army Is Having a Hard Time Voting

Looks like "sad pepe" might be a meme in the making.
I just about pissed myself laughing at the one who offered
$20 to the poll worker to overlook his failure to register...poll worker took it and then called a cop to eject him.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I just about pissed myself laughing at the one who offered
$20 to the poll worker to overlook his failure to register...poll worker took it and then called a cop to eject him.
Without verifying all the accounts, I currently lean towards trolls trolling the trolls. But it is a welcome bit of levity.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Without verifying all the accounts, I currently lean towards trolls trolling the trolls. But it is a welcome bit of levity.
I agree it is funny either way
Old Nov 8th 2016, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The last time I stepped into a polling place....I used one of these. Lol Since then all absentee mail ins.
Attached Thumbnails 2016 Election-920x920.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.