2016 Election

Old May 24th 2016, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 Election

Originally Posted by dc koop
Well most Trump supporters are the kind you could sell the Brooklyn bridge to. It's time they woke up to reality. The 1950s and 1960s just called, they wont be back.

Sanders is a dreamer and Hillary is just plain unlikeable
Not everyone has the same reality. Sanders isn't saying anything he hasn't been saying for a long time. Dreaming of a better country for everyone is the kind of dreamer I can support.
Old May 24th 2016, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
while other western leaders may grudgingly accept civilian deaths as an unfortunate by-product of necessary actions...
"Necessary actions"? Oh dear! Well, for this Neocon and his fellows, here's an article they will like. Or maybe not.
Trump leaving neocons in dust | TheHill

Actually, to be fair, those who live and vote in the US will naturally have a different viewpoint from those of us who don't. We non-residents and non-voters tend to worry about the effect on all those non-American villagers and hospital patients killed by the US's "necessary" bombs and drones. Human-rights wimps, is what we are, I guess.

Peace out.
Old May 24th 2016, 4:47 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
Not everyone has the same reality. Sanders isn't saying anything he hasn't been saying for a long time. Dreaming of a better country for everyone is the kind of dreamer I can support.
I agree entirely. The problem here is that as President Sanders would be up against a Republican dominated Congress. If Obama couldn't make any headway with them what chance has Sanders got ? We have to face reality. Only in America could a party like the Republicans exist for so long. They are a weird, fossilized entity who have consistently opposed any programs to benefit the ordinary working person. They've hardly changed since Herbert Hoover's day. Like it or not we're stuck with them until the day comes when the voters wake up and send them packing
Old May 24th 2016, 6:46 am
Banned

themadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond repute

I agree entirely. The problem here is that as President Sanders would be up against a Republican dominated Congress. If Obama couldn't make any headway with them what chance has Sanders got ? We have to face reality. Only in America could a party like the Republicans exist for so long. They are a weird, fossilized entity who have consistently opposed any programs to benefit the ordinary working person. They've hardly changed since Herbert Hoover's day. Like it or not we're stuck with them until the day comes when the voters wake up and send them packing
So to paraphrase you: "this political party that half of America votes for on a regular basis is weird and shouldn't exist as I disagree with it"

Why did you come to America out of interest?
Old May 24th 2016, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Hey there, been a while. Nice to have you back ...
Thanks chap - life came by & threw me a curve ball, or some such euphemism. Had a few challenging years there, but the worst is behind us, for the moment. Hope all well with you & yours!
Old May 24th 2016, 12:45 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themadpooper
So to paraphrase you: "this political party that half of America votes for on a regular basis is weird and shouldn't exist as I disagree with it"

You really do have a tin ear, don't you. Why don't you try responding to other poster's positions and arguments, rather than continually questioning why they live in America? You know, since a goodly number of us were living in America before you were born, are U.S. Citizens, knew there were such things as alligators back in the 1960s etc. etc.
Old May 24th 2016, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
When was the last time you went the opticians?
ER... Last July - in the UK - was WAAAYYY cheaper than locally.

I get that it's a matter of opinion. And here's my thinking.

Trump & other GOP candidates have got a whole range of pretty extreme views they have espoused, whether they believe them or not - but they've said them, I guess to garner support from the right wing of their base.

So where has the press been in challenging the candidates on these points? Where has the press been in holding candidates to account, to challenging GOP execs & leadership? Where has the press been on calling out lies and BS?

For me, evidence of the existence of a liberal press would be a pretty heavy, regular dose of trashing (by simple, reasoned argument alone) the huge pile of dung that has been consistently dealt by the GOP candidates. This for me is less about political positions as it is about pure BS, because there has been a pile of that from the Dems on occassion too.

If we truly had a liberal press, Trump would have been made to look like the lying bull shitter that he likely is, a long time ago, instead of never.
Old May 24th 2016, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ah, a roll call of shite journalists & media execs who are providing campaign contributions in the form of free & easy air time.
I don't see much 'liberal' there - but I do see a whole lot of people bought & paid for by the same people who have bought & paid for much of the GOP.

So, where is the liberal media then?
Old May 24th 2016, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

That's quite a paraphrase - using your own words to say something that somebody didn't say, but you claim they did say... Interesting. You should work for a political campaign! Or as a 'journalist'!
Old May 24th 2016, 12:55 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly is odd. A few obvious ways to move forward;

- Take money out of elections
- Make redistricting and election management a federal, non-partisan function
- Get the underclass edumacated
- End the charitable status of religious institutions

Not saying any of those are likely
Old May 24th 2016, 1:07 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

It's true, but it won't be any better for Clinton. Republicans hate the Clintons so much Hillary won't be able to get a post office named if they still have a majority.

But you're wrong on one aspect, Republicans have changed, they've moved further and further to the right, Nixon could have got healthcare done if it wasn't for Watergate, and Reagan had an amnesty for illegal immigrants.
Old May 24th 2016, 1:13 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

That's categorically not the case here. It's more of a case of "this political party, which as recently as the 1960s was a moderate, mildly conservative entity with broadly sensible policies, has been turned upside down by fear and ripped apart by extremists, and really needs to get back to being the organization that produced presidents such as Theodore Roosevelt and Eisenhower."

If, as you say, half of America (or more correctly, about 49% of the 54% of the electorate who shows up to vote at the general election) does not want the Democrats in power, then wouldn't it be better for the GOP to ditch the extremists, and get back to being a viable opposition that won't screw over the working people of America if they do win a Presidential election, or control Congress? More importantly, one that would be willing to work with a Democrat president for the good of the US as a whole (that goes both ways for Democrats being willing to work with Republican presidents of course)?

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
Thanks chap - life came by & threw me a curve ball, or some such euphemism. Had a few challenging years there, but the worst is behind us, for the moment. Hope all well with you & yours!
Glad to hear you're doing well now. We're getting on fine ourselves.
Old May 24th 2016, 1:13 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
ER... Last July - in the UK - was WAAAYYY cheaper than locally.

I get that it's a matter of opinion. And here's my thinking.

Trump & other GOP candidates have got a whole range of pretty extreme views they have espoused, whether they believe them or not - but they've said them, I guess to garner support from the right wing of their base.

So where has the press been in challenging the candidates on these points? Where has the press been in holding candidates to account, to challenging GOP execs & leadership? Where has the press been on calling out lies and BS?

For me, evidence of the existence of a liberal press would be a pretty heavy, regular dose of trashing (by simple, reasoned argument alone) the huge pile of dung that has been consistently dealt by the GOP candidates. This for me is less about political positions as it is about pure BS, because there has been a pile of that from the Dems on occassion too.

If we truly had a liberal press, Trump would have been made to look like the lying bull shitter that he likely is, a long time ago, instead of never.
There's a couple of aspects to this:

1) Trump has been fantastic for ratings (read profits) for the news networks, so they've been constantly reporting on everything he says and does. Trump knows this and is constant available for interviews. If any of the networks get negative, then he can threaten to cut access, see the Megyn Kelly thing a few months ago.

2) The news shows try to give the appearance of being objective and telling both sides of the story, so when Trump makes shit up about Muslims celebrating 9/11 in New Jersey, they won't call out this as bullshit. This also relates to 1)

3) Everything out of Trump's mouth is a lie, so there just aren't the resources available to fact check everything.

As for the liberal media, you can find it on the Internet.
Old May 24th 2016, 2:00 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

There was a time during Ronald Reagans administration when Reagan sat down with Democrat majority leader Tip O'Neill and between them they reached agreement on a number of things that needed to be addressed.

Do you think that this would be possible today ? As others on the thread have already stated the GOP has moved far to the right since Reagan's time. It's now become the Party of "No"

Why I came to America is irrelevant mate.
Old May 24th 2016, 2:32 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Why I came to America is irrelevant mate.
Was it the same reason I came here - to steal a woman and take a job ... ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.