British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   20 worst foods in America (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/20-worst-foods-america-528669/)

JEM3110 Apr 11th 2008 9:12 pm

20 worst foods in America

http://www.menshealth.com/eatthis/20...ods_in_America

This is really frightening, I have eaten those Aussie Cheese Fries from Outback, talk about an artery clogger! :ohmy:

MsElui Apr 11th 2008 9:17 pm

Re: 20 worst foods in America

the picture of those fries looks like an ashtray!

Jerseygirl Apr 11th 2008 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by JEM3110 (Post 6195733)

This is really frightening, I have eaten those Aussie Cheese Fries from Outback, talk about an artery clogger! :ohmy:

I've shared them with 2 others...minus the ranch dressing.

lisag8070 Apr 11th 2008 9:35 pm

thank god I don't like cheese....did you see the amount of calories...whoa..:ohmy:

but I do love my chips..:o

JEM3110 Apr 11th 2008 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 6195748)
the picture of those fries looks like an ashtray!

Now you come to mention it........but they do taste damn good!

JEM3110 Apr 11th 2008 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by lisag8070 (Post 6195808)
thank god I don't like cheese....did you see the amount of calories...whoa..:ohmy:

but I do love my chips..:o

America is the Land of Cheese! Everything seems loaded with the stuff, and I have the thighs to prove it!

Elvira Apr 11th 2008 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by JEM3110 (Post 6195733)

This is really frightening............. :ohmy:

I looked at about 6 or 8 of these, and each and every one looks absolutely foul :tounge_smile:

I wouldn't feed this to my dog...

Juswus Apr 11th 2008 11:48 pm

I love cheese, but so many times I've been caught out by thinking I'm getting cheese, when actually I get served some kind of orange plastic :blink:

Jerseygirl Apr 11th 2008 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Juswus (Post 6196121)
I love cheese, but so many times I've been caught out by thinking I'm getting cheese, when actually I get served some kind of orange plastic :blink:

Just finished some white Cheshire cheese I brought back from the UK...crumbly, creamy, slightly salty taste...wonderful.

Juswus Apr 11th 2008 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 6196138)
Just finished some white Cheshire cheese I brought back from the UK...

ooooohhhhh...you are naughty!!!!

I bet that tastes amazing...*drool*

Bob Apr 12th 2008 12:09 am

cheesy bacon fries is pretty good, gotta be hot and fresh though, gets minging quick...and in small portions because it's pretty nasty at the same time :D

Kaffy Mintcake Apr 12th 2008 12:10 am

No wonder why Americans are so fat. Good grief. Went out to lunch with some colleagues today and for the sides the restaurant offered a choice - kettle chips (crisps) or sliced green apple. Everyone chose the apple.

English Muffin Apr 12th 2008 12:38 am

Just finished some white Cheshire cheese I brought back from the UK...crumbly, creamy, slightly salty taste...wonderful.

Oh don't, you're killing me!! I've only been here 2 months and I can't believe how much I'm missing 'real' cheese. :D

AdobePinon Apr 12th 2008 1:25 am

Thankfully, as a vegan, I am saved from the horrors on that list. :sneaky:

lisag8070 Apr 12th 2008 1:36 am

Now I can definately eat that...its the only cheese I will eat....oh god I want a cheshire cheese and pickled onion sandwich on lovely white crusty bread...(all washed down with a nice white wine)....:thumbsup:

(I think I'll have to run to Fresh Market tommorow and pick some up)....:cool:

Emma M Apr 12th 2008 5:18 am

Originally Posted by AdobePinon (Post 6196326)

I would be a vegan if I could afford to be.

USBound Apr 12th 2008 12:38 pm

i regularly eat several of those dishes... never the cheese fries tho as they are NASTY and i have to avoid fake cheese aka "American cheese"... as it makes me ill within 30 seconds.

Chipotle tho... can't beat that burrito... sorry... but you just can't.

JEM3110 Apr 12th 2008 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by AdobePinon (Post 6196326)

It must be really difficult being a vegan in America, I ordered Greek salad the other day when it arrived it had bacon bits all over the top of it! I do eat meat but felt that it spoilt an otherwise good salad!

Xebedee Apr 12th 2008 3:36 pm

Grits and/or Okra.
The stuff prison riots are made of.

zargof Apr 12th 2008 3:42 pm

For those of you missing cheddar cheese, try these guys

http://www.cabotcheese.com/

For those of you on the west coast this is a close second

http://www.tillamookcheese.com/

Kaffy Mintcake Apr 12th 2008 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by JEM3110 (Post 6198558)
It must be really difficult being a vegan in America, I ordered Greek salad the other day when it arrived it had bacon bits all over the top of it! I do eat meat but felt that it spoilt an otherwise good salad!

I think Spain is the same way. I traveled there years ago with a friend who was a vegetarian, and she had a terrible time. Everything seemed to have tuna or eggs on it, neither of which she could eat. I'm sure options exist, but it was hard as a tourist.

Bob Apr 12th 2008 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by lisag8070 (Post 6196338)
Now I can definately eat that...its the only cheese I will eat....oh god I want a cheshire cheese and pickled onion sandwich on lovely white crusty bread...(all washed down with a nice white wine)....:thumbsup:

(I think I'll have to run to Fresh Market tommorow and pick some up)....:cool:

whole foods has a good selection :D

oh, and the trader joes English cheddar ain't to bad for the money, it's kind of on par with sainsburys own brand, above the economy rubbish, but I've lowered my standards a bit, and being broke and unemployed, lowered them even further, but it's really not that bad.

Bob Apr 12th 2008 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 6198622)
For those of you missing cheddar cheese, try these guys

http://www.cabotcheese.com/

For those of you on the west coast this is a close second

http://www.tillamookcheese.com/

the former is rubbish, even the poncy aged stuff...the latter, I've not been able to find around here, but a few people have recommended it :)

BrightontoBoston Apr 12th 2008 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 6199664)
the former is rubbish, even the poncy aged stuff...the latter, I've not been able to find around here, but a few people have recommended it :)

Yup, Tillamook 2 years aged is pretty good, I miss it! Always used to stop into the factory (which is open to the public) when we lived in Oregon! There yogurts are simply the BEST in the USA also, strangely if I remember correctly it was made under lisence in Texas or somewhere.....
Have found an AWESOME cheddar (at last) in Price Chopper in miserable New York, It's named after a woman if my memory is correct, and is dipped in black wax - a 2lb lump, ahh it's called Nancy's, highly recommended!

Back on topic though 19 of the 20 looked F***ing disgusting! OK, I would succumb to the Chipotle Burrito any day, well the fajita burrito anyway!

BritGuyTN Apr 12th 2008 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Xebedee (Post 6198598)
Grits and/or Okra.
The stuff prison riots are made of.

you would be surprised

I thought grits were disgusting for ages then I had them done well nicely and they were superb

cindyabs Apr 12th 2008 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 6199867)
you would be surprised

I thought grits were disgusting for ages then I had them done well nicely and they were superb

I learned recently they are good for killing fireants.

Xebedee Apr 13th 2008 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 6199867)
you would be surprised

No dispute over Okra then? :D

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 6199896)
I learned recently they are good for killing fireants.

During the Westward Expansion the stuff was frequently used to trap stampeding herds of buffalo. Later made illegal by an act of congress on the grounds that they were suffering needlessly. It was then given to Indians after they ran out of infected blankets.

JEM3110 Apr 13th 2008 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by KJ2007 (Post 6196177)
No wonder why Americans are so fat. Good grief. Went out to lunch with some colleagues today and for the sides the restaurant offered a choice - kettle chips (crisps) or sliced green apple. Everyone chose the apple.

I have gained 25 lbs in 2 years of being in US! This morning I decided to be brave and jump on the bathroom scales, DH walks in sees me looking glum and asks "Have you called Jenny yet?".....:mad:

Kaffy Mintcake Apr 13th 2008 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by JEM3110 (Post 6202012)
I have gained 25 lbs in 2 years of being in US! This morning I decided to be brave and jump on the bathroom scales, DH walks in sees me looking glum and asks "Have you called Jenny yet?".....:mad:

Did you smack him? ;)

It actually makes me angry that restaurants serve portions that are so out of control or calorie laden. Yet I know that they probably do so because that's what some customers demand.

Yet there has to be a market for something more reasonable - or offering choices - like the apple vs. crisps at the restaurant I went to the other day. Otherwise you could make a choice you thought wasn't too bad (like the turkey burger they posted - though it did look big) and could be doing yourself a great disservice.

I often go online to restaurant's websites for nutritional info before I go ... or I should say when I was at my skinniest I did that. I've of course porked back up so it's time to get back on task.

Patrick Hasler Apr 13th 2008 2:55 pm

Worst food ?

McDonalds, Taco f**kin bell, Popyes, Maccaroni cheese, Peanut butter, Sloppy joe's, Cheese fries, American bacon, american sausages, Hot dogs, Baloney, ............. I could go on for ever, whoever said English food is bland and tasteless doesn't know what they are talking about :rofl:

Oh ! and any factory made cakes, cookies etc !

JEM3110 Apr 13th 2008 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by KJ2007 (Post 6202051)
Did you smack him? ;)

It actually makes me angry that restaurants serve portions that are so out of control or calorie laden. Yet I know that they probably do so because that's what some customers demand.

Yet there has to be a market for something more reasonable - or offering choices - like the apple vs. crisps at the restaurant I went to the other day. Otherwise you could make a choice you thought wasn't too bad (like the turkey burger they posted - though it did look big) and could be doing yourself a great disservice.

I often go online to restaurant's websites for nutritional info before I go ... or I should say when I was at my skinniest I did that. I've of course porked back up so it's time to get back on task.

No, but if looks could kill! :lol:

Portions sizes are HUGE here though aren't they? A friend said to me once, when you're at a restaurant and the food arrives, eat only a third of it and that would equal a normal portion!

Kaffy Mintcake Apr 13th 2008 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler (Post 6202061)
Worst food ?

McDonalds, Taco f**kin bell, Popyes, Maccaroni cheese, Peanut butter, Sloppy joe's, Cheese fries, American bacon, american sausages, Hot dogs, Baloney, ............. I could go on for ever, whoever said English food is bland and tasteless doesn't know what they are talking about :rofl:

Lol - you've listed nothing but fast food! Of course that's crap. :rofl:

Kaffy Mintcake Apr 13th 2008 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by JEM3110 (Post 6202091)
No, but if looks could kill! :lol:

Portions sizes are HUGE here though aren't they? A friend said to me once, when you're at a restaurant and the food arrives, eat only a third of it and that would equal a normal portion!

Yes, your friend is right! Another good idea is to start your meal always with a salad, and plan on taking a good portion of your dinner home. When I eat at Cheesecake Factory my meal lasts me for an additional 3-4 meals worth of leftovers!!

JEM3110 Apr 13th 2008 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by KJ2007 (Post 6202111)
Yes, your friend is right! Another good idea is to start your meal always with a salad, and plan on taking a good portion of your dinner home. When I eat at Cheesecake Factory my meal lasts me for an additional 3-4 meals worth of leftovers!!

My mother is visiting us at the moment and she finds it highly amusing when we eat out - seeing all the folks leaving the restaurants with their boxes! :D

JEM3110 Apr 13th 2008 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler (Post 6202061)
Worst food ?

My son's friends eat nothing but mac 'n' cheese and hot dogs....seems to be the staple diet for 6 year olds around here :ohmy:

Emma M Apr 13th 2008 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by JEM3110 (Post 6202160)
My son's friends eat nothing but mac 'n' cheese and hot dogs....seems to be the staple diet for 6 year olds around here :ohmy:

Hmmm. The mac 'n' cheese and hot dog diet. With lots of running around like a 6 year old... could be good :D

Kaffy Mintcake Apr 13th 2008 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by JEM3110 (Post 6202136)
My mother is visiting us at the moment and she finds it highly amusing when we eat out - seeing all the folks leaving the restaurants with their boxes! :D

I have a friend whose father was born in India. He emigrated here before she was born. He would always take leftovers home with him, no matter how little food it might be. She told me as a child she found that embarassing. It wasn't until she went to India with him about 5 years ago, that she saw that someone was always waiting outside the restaurant to accept these small packages of leftovers. She then understood why he had always done as he had.

Emma M Apr 13th 2008 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by KJ2007 (Post 6202386)
I have a friend whose father was born in India. He emigrated here before she was born. He would always take leftovers home with him, no matter how little food it might be. She told me as a child she found that embarassing. It wasn't until she went to India with him about 5 years ago, that she saw that someone was always waiting outside the restaurant to accept these small packages of leftovers. She then understood why he had always done as he had.

Awww bless... that's lovely :)

britvic Apr 13th 2008 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by JEM3110 (Post 6202160)

I found out thats what they were serving up my six year old for school dinners most days :ohmy: no wonder my boy couldn't wait for Mummy to get back so he could again enjoy his packed lunch.

Jerseygirl Apr 13th 2008 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 6203175)
I found out thats what they were serving up my six year old for school dinners most days :ohmy: no wonder my boy couldn't wait for Mummy to get back so he could again enjoy his packed lunch.

Ah....bless his little cotton socks. :wub: