Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

100 Days and Valentines Day?

100 Days and Valentines Day?

Old Feb 3rd 2014, 11:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default 100 Days and Valentines Day?

So anyone else's kids making a big thing of 100 days at school?

Kindergarten class, all the kids have to bring in a collection of 100 things, can't be toys though. Bit of a chore, guess they don't want balls of ear wax or boogies.

I don't remember celebrating this level of mediocrity when I was a kid, but perhaps they do in the UK now too?

And what about Valentines Day? Got a letter saying they're having a project of making their own mail boxes to collect their Valentines cards and kids are expected to write a card for every kid in their class if they wish to participate.

I know it seems everyone has to write one for their whole class, but why can't you just write them for your friends only?

Meh.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 100 Days and Valentines Day?

What is 100 days?

The Valentines thing is utterly stupid.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

The hundred days thing isn't bad at that age. Give them an idea of what a hundred "somethings" looks like. Learning to estimate is important.

The Valentines thing seems mad to me but Hallmark obviously realized that only sending cards to those you are romantically interested in wasn't maximizing their profit potential. The whole all-or-none rule is just another example of the everyone gets a trophy mindset.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 11:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
What is 100 days?

The Valentines thing is utterly stupid.
100 days of school.

We're thinking the kid could write out 100 relatives, bit dull, but a bit easier to bring in and display than 100 sea shells...either that, or knit 100 stitches, which would be a tiny scarf.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 11:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
100 days of school.

We're thinking the kid could write out 100 relatives, bit dull, but a bit easier to bring in and display than 100 sea shells...either that, or knit 100 stitches, which would be a tiny scarf.
Aha. Thanks. I don't think mine ever did that.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Kindergarten class, all the kids have to bring in a collection of 100 things, can't be toys though. Bit of a chore, guess they don't want balls of ear wax or boogies.

I don't remember celebrating this level of mediocrity when I was a kid, but perhaps they do in the UK now too?

And what about Valentines Day? Got a letter saying they're having a project of making their own mail boxes to collect their Valentines cards and kids are expected to write a card for every kid in their class if they wish to participate.

I know it seems everyone has to write one for their whole class, but why can't you just write them for your friends only?

Meh.
Try 100 little candies (think m&ms) 100 cotton balls, 100 pennies, 100 marbles.

Googled and came up with this:

Hundred pieces of pasta, color them and glue them on the poster board to make a big number 100.

Bring colorful beads from a craft store and ask her to make a necklace with 100 beads.

On the other issue, Valentine's Day. I think Valentine's Day is a great way to show kids how to be friends with everyone. If nothing else it's great practice for writing skills.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 12:44 am
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Meh.
freedom to choose? sorry bob but liberals are heavily involved in public education. If my son wants to hand out birthday invites to a few friends at school he can't, he has to hand out invites to the whole class so no one is made to feel less special.

How ridiculous can you get? All this from a school that allows the honor roll students to have lunch at the principles table while making all the other student feel less special.

100 days? I 'd have my kids take in 100 termites or scorpions, after all they love bugs and i wouldn't want to hurt their feelings
Old Feb 4th 2014, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Take a dollar...
Old Feb 4th 2014, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
freedom to choose? sorry bob but liberals are heavily involved in public education. If my son wants to hand out birthday invites to a few friends at school he can't, he has to hand out invites to the whole class so no one is made to feel less special.

How ridiculous can you get? All this from a school that allows the honor roll students to have lunch at the principles table while making all the other student feel less special.

100 days? I 'd have my kids take in 100 termites or scorpions, after all they love bugs and i wouldn't want to hurt their feelings
Soften them up with the Valentines cards/party invites, then break it to them that only honor roll students can go on school trips.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 1:24 am
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Soften them up with the Valentines cards/party invites, then break it to them that only honor roll students can go on school trips.
The honor roll thing bothers me in regards to its rewards above and beyond simple personal recognition. Despite what we hear in the media bullying can't be all that much of a problem these days. For example I went to an all boys school. If you were seen eating lunch at the principles (or teachers) table you would get your head kicked in.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 1:32 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

I went to the craft store and bought a few piles of buttons, I sewed them onto a cheap craft store plain shirt. I sewed then in ten sets of 2x5 buttons, and made each set a different color or style so it was easy to count. I used two sets to make a one, and then four sets to make a zero, and then another zero, so it was a block shape of the number 100. I kept it after number 1 son wore it, so numbers 2 and 3 could reuse lol!

Last edited by MsElui; Feb 4th 2014 at 1:44 am.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 1:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Meh.
The kids have to send a card to every class member for fear of a child feeling left out. Same applied to birthday parties when my daughter was at school.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The honor roll thing bothers me in regards to its rewards above and beyond simple personal recognition. Despite what we hear in the media bullying can't be all that much of a problem these days. For example I went to an all boys school. If you were seen eating lunch at the principles (or teachers) table you would get your head kicked in.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 1:47 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

The mailbox is just a shoebox covered in wrapping paper, or tinfoil etc with some stickers on it

then you send in 20 (or however many kids in class ) 'postcards' in the valentines packs from wallys world that your kid signs. You dont HAVE to write the 20 names on them in KG - although they may prefer that in later years.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Ha! True that...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.