10 foot dik head

Old Feb 7th 2005, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

topgooser will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 10 foot dik head

Originally Posted by bridgecross
I actually WOULD have an issue adding an explanation to the "10 ft pole" reference, as it is not an inside joke, or constricted to this forum, or some obscure jargon for jargon-geeks. It's a common reference to the phrase "I would not touch that with a 10-foot pole". It requires about two synapses to make the connection. If I were required to add a footnote to every idiom I use, my posts would be double in length! If you don't know what I mean when I say "batten down the hatches," you'll be swept off by the storm. So be it :-)
what are hatches? :-)

in England the phrase is "I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole"

so each to their own.

by the way - who asked you?

lol
Old Feb 7th 2005, 5:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by topgooser
what are hatches? :-)

in England the phrase is "I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole"

so each to their own.

by the way - who asked you?

lol

Well I coined the phrase (not a certain someone of letters) when years back the issue of how to circumvent the POE so that one can marry while on the visa waiver program was a hot and debatable subject. It has since come to encompass all issues of marriage under the VWP and staying in the US to adjust status.

I'm not English but American and I use the term 10-foot pole. You don't like the term, sorry about that. You don't like that the subject is not discussed, sorry about that as well.

The forum is part of the worldwide Usenet ... you can always go to www.google.com and search the archives of alt.visa.us.marriage-based for the term and all the debates, name calling, fights, etc. if you or anyone else is interested.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 5:15 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I think the way that all these references to the 10ft pole disturb alot of new folk - let them know what you mean ? stop being so secretive and jargon geeks - it's a major ball ache for alot of people who try and get help here.

come on folks, sort yourselves out.

Well the newbies are old enough and smart enough to complete a marriage license to get a certificate and they are smart enough to have found this forum and smart enough to read a thread that has the term 10 foot pole in it. Then it is assumed that they are smart enough to read the posts and put two and two together and come up with four. In other words by reading the posts where the term is used you will know what the issue is about.

Plain and simple from my viewpoint.
You want to discuss it? Be my guest.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Well the newbies are old enough and smart enough to complete a marriage license to get a certificate and they are smart enough to have found this forum and smart enough to read a thread that has the term 10 foot pole in it. Then it is assumed that they are smart enough to read the posts and put two and two together and come up with four. In other words by reading the posts where the term is used you will know what the issue is about.

Plain and simple from my viewpoint.
You want to discuss it? Be my guest.
Seems like its been all discussed out.

By the way it was all a little tongue in cheek, if thats been lost on anyone - then my humblest apologies.

Even the title suggests that it is not entirely a serious discussion.

I would however like to suggest that since we went metric the term should have been altered accordingly ;-)
Old Feb 7th 2005, 5:33 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems like its been all discussed out.

By the way it was all a little tongue in cheek, if thats been lost on anyone - then my humblest apologies.

Even the title suggests that it is not entirely a serious discussion.

I would however like to suggest that since we went metric the term should have been altered accordingly ;-)
Oh, so the UK has gone metric, you say? Why are the road distance signs still in MILES? And the exit warnings on the motorways in YARDS? [close enough to a meter so as to not matter, I guess] To top the confusion for US motorists, the gallon/liter conversion charts [and car trip computerss] use Imperial and not US gallons.

Of course, my dual national US/UK brother-in-law says its easy to spot a fellow expat who owns a manual shift car -- the broken fingernails on the right hand are a dead giveaway.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 6:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Oh, so the UK has gone metric, you say? Why are the road distance signs still in MILES? And the exit warnings on the motorways in YARDS? [close enough to a meter so as to not matter, I guess] To top the confusion for US motorists, the gallon/liter conversion charts [and car trip computerss] use Imperial and not US gallons.

Of course, my dual national US/UK brother-in-law says its easy to spot a fellow expat who owns a manual shift car -- the broken fingernails on the right hand are a dead giveaway.
Because it would have cost way to much to change the road signs and people didn't want to waste the money...same with pints of beer in the pub...but if you got milk, it'll be in litres and pints in brackets...
Old Feb 7th 2005, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was brought up on the cusp, but its been a long long time since the schools switched over to metric.

I do not know how much imperial measurements are taught now in schools, certainly the kiddies tv programmes, the UK web based stuff etc is all metric.

I also prefer Farenheit to Centegrade and was quite annoyed when the BBC switched over.

Probably makes me an old fogie but helped in coming here.

I thought yds were a known term in US, I have seen them used, but not regularly.

Gallons of course is another issue, complicated by the difference in fl oz. And anyway Gas is sold in litres, but consumption is in miles per gallon, a confusion.

The Canadians seem more metricated.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Feb 7th 2005 at 9:03 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 9:08 pm
Account Closed

Ohh and batten down the hatches is a a UK term (ex Navy), had not heard 10ft pole before but guessed it was akin to the barge pole.

Now the length of a barge pole is variable, but 10ft seems a good average.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 11:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Boiler
I was brought up on the cusp, but its been a long long time since the schools switched over to metric.

I do not know how much imperial measurements are taught now in schools, certainly the kiddies tv programmes, the UK web based stuff etc is all metric.

I also prefer Farenheit to Centegrade and was quite annoyed when the BBC switched over.

I thought yds were a known term in US, I have seen them used, but not regularly.

Gallons of course is another issue, complicated by the difference in fl oz. And anyway Gas is sold in litres, but consumption is in miles per gallon, a confusion.

Hi:

Yards are not common in the US? You say this the day after the Super Bowl? The most commonplace use of yards [3 feet] is in American Football.

The discussion of "gallons" came up last year on this board. Before 1800, Britain had TWO different "gallons" -- one for ale and one for wine. After 1800, the US adopted the wine gallon as a "gallon" while Britain adopted the ale gallon as the standard "imperial gallon." The Imperial Gallon is about 20% larger than the US gallon.

I know that the trip computer and temperature guage on my last two cars can either be metric or US measurement -- sometimes, I shift the thing over to French or Spanish just to be amused. Funny thing about my latest German car, it doesn't allow for programming in German -- I guess they use the three official languages of North America.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 10:26 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Ohh and batten down the hatches is a a UK term (ex Navy), had not heard 10ft pole before but guessed it was akin to the barge pole.

Now the length of a barge pole is variable, but 10ft seems a good average.

Think the batten down the hatches is a universal term, we use it here as well.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 12:48 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Foe science at any reasonable level it all changes to Kelvin anyway...... so it becomes irrelevant.

Do you mean gas is sold in the US in litres/liters? Or the UK? It's not sold in liters here......

Everyone here knows what a yard is.... stones they are less familiar with and wouldn't really use them commonly but they are generally aware of them and often even know it's 14lbs. People are not so ignorant as many imagine, not here anyways.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 12:52 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Think the batten down the hatches is a universal term, we use it here as well.
Yup, been adopted globally in my experience.

Isn't it "Batten down the hatches and secure the yardarm" ?
Old Feb 8th 2005, 2:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lairdside

Yep

I meant that litres are used in UK.

I have used yards in US and then had a slightly puzzled response and so recalculated in feet. eg a couple of hundred yards down the road and on the left.

Stones, well yet to come across them here.

But then even I prefer mm for very small measurements
Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lairdside

re the quote for Perkei Avot --

"If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? And if I am only for myself, then what am I? And if not now, when?" - Rabbi Hillel (Pirkei Avot)

I use this as the method to answer ethical dilemmas -- the trick is that ALL THREE questions must be asked. Each question is dangerous by itself IMHO. When combined, they achieve a sublime power.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
re the quote for Perkei Avot --

"If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? And if I am only for myself, then what am I? And if not now, when?" - Rabbi Hillel (Pirkei Avot)

I use this as the method to answer ethical dilemmas -- the trick is that ALL THREE questions must be asked. Each question is dangerous by itself IMHO. When combined, they achieve a sublime power.
How High is a chinaman?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.