Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

It’s the small things

It’s the small things

Old Apr 25th 2018, 5:07 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default It’s the small things

Just got back from spending time with my 2 year old granddaughter in the UK. It was strange because this was the first time I didn’t get off the plane in Manchester and feel I was home. There is a mini roundabout as you drive off the lot at the car rental village and this trip I literally had to stop and think which way to drive round it. Also normally without thinking I switch back to UK English when I speak. This trip people were commenting on my American pronunciation.

But the thing that really got me this trip more than others, was the complete pain in the arse trying to park the car. Far to few parking spaces and when you did find one the size of it, or to be precise the width was just to small. You could get the car in the space but try opening the doors to get out. It just made going anywhere a hassle. Someone backing into the parking space next to ours and unable to wait for Mrs L to get out the way, backed into her and nearly run her over. This to avoid someone else getting the space.

Got off the plane in Portland and immediately was home. Mrs L and I have discussed for sometime about going back and buying a house in North Yorkshire, but we looked at each other and both said that plan is no longer an option. The USA is where we will see out our days. Appreciate others will not agree but Oregon is now my home, the UK is just a place to visit.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 7:51 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It’s the small things

The only thing that matters is that you and Mrs L are happy with the decision. Best wishes for the future.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 12:46 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Every time I go back, I dread the indoor car parks for exactly the same reason you said. They often have concrete pillars in half of the spaces.
I know space is at a premium, but it seems to border on masochism.

And the driving...
I love my Dad very much but it bugs the hell out of me that he has to drive with no gap between you and the vehicle in front, lest someone pull into that space. It's like a personal affront. Very strange.
Ditto for parking as close to the entrance of the supermarket, even if it means waiting for 10 minutes. Myself, I'm quite happy to park further away and walk in. Less chance of door dings too.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

I just had an identical experience, it really doesn't feel like home there anymore, so much change and most of it for the worse.
Driving is a nightmare, average speed over 100 miles on the M1 was 40mph, too much traffic to little space, bloody average speed camera's, non existent roadworks the lot.

We stepped off the plane in Chicago to a winter storm warning ..... which unfortunately felt very much like home

Next time they can come and visit me.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 3:11 am
Just Joined

gaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond repute

It's three years to the day since I was last back in Scotland and I can't say I'm in too much of a hurry to go back. I have another ex-pat friend in my wee hometown here who has to go back to England for work a couple of times a year and he's noticed quite a difference in the place. Who knows, maybe I'll feel differently in years to come, but I only feel homesick when I hear Auld Lang Syne at New Year and so my solution to that was just not to listen to it. Sorted!
Old Apr 26th 2018, 7:50 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

In terms of parking spaces, one factor would be to get the smallest vehicle practicable. For instance, Toyota Yaris or (even smaller) Aygo.

As for being flexible enough to switch effortlessly between US and UK mode, my (scary) observation is it gets worse with age - I'm now 67. Years ago I could jump into a car at Heathrow and immediately be in M25 driving mode, now I dither more and sometimes reach for the gear stick with the wrong hand etc..

I'm now spending half my time in each country, but not actually driving in England, unless I rent a car once in a great while. Where I drive in the US, small town NY North Country, the driving experience is incredibly laid back & courteous. People from big cities in the US might not find that much difference between US and UK driving.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 2:14 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Every time I go back, I dread the indoor car parks for exactly the same reason you said. They often have concrete pillars in half of the spaces.
I know space is at a premium, but it seems to border on masochism.

And the driving...
I love my Dad very much but it bugs the hell out of me that he has to drive with no gap between you and the vehicle in front, lest someone pull into that space. It's like a personal affront. Very strange.
Ditto for parking as close to the entrance of the supermarket, even if it means waiting for 10 minutes. Myself, I'm quite happy to park further away and walk in. Less chance of door dings too.
What is it with the car parks? I noticed the same thing last year, the spaces seemed to be really narrow. Except at the local Tesco, which had wider ones, but as you say, it was worse in indoor ones. We hadn't rented a massive car either, but it just felt like I was going to hit everything pulling in and out. I don't know why they can't just make nice wide diagonal spaces.

The second part about the driving happens here too, though. People always interpret 'safe following distance' as 'squeeze in here and make me slam the brakes please' and don't even get me started on people who can't park farther up the lot because god forbid they walk an extra 100 yards.