Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

£500 For Kids Born Before 2002

£500 For Kids Born Before 2002

Old Jan 11th 2009, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Celtic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of light
Default £500 For Kids Born Before 2002

Are you British? Do you have children born before 2002? Did you leave Britain after 2002?

If you answer yes to these questions then you are, apparantly, entitled to claim a one off child benefit payment amounting to approx £500 (per kid I think). Apparantly it was something the government brought in as part of the family benefits overhall in 2002 but they forgot to inform people they had to actually apply for it. It's called The Children's Tax Allowance.

The deadline for applying for this is the end of the month. So if you think you qualify, you need to get your skates on. You claim it by ringing the tax office on 0845 3021437. I shall be ringing them first thing in the morning.

Good luck.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: £500 For Kids Born Before 2002

Originally Posted by Celtic Princess
Are you British? Do you have children born before 2002? Did you leave Britain after 2002?

If you answer yes to these questions then you are, apparantly, entitled to claim a one off child benefit payment amounting to approx £500 (per kid I think). Apparantly it was something the government brought in as part of the family benefits overhall in 2002 but they forgot to inform people they had to actually apply for it. It's called The Children's Tax Allowance.

The deadline for applying for this is the end of the month. So if you think you qualify, you need to get your skates on. You claim it by ringing the tax office on 0845 3021437. I shall be ringing them first thing in the morning.

Good luck.
I'm not sure if this is the same thing but my Kids were both born in Canada one in November 2002 and the other in May 2007. When we moved back to the UK in July 2008 and registered for Child benefit a few month later we received cheques for both of them for $250. The money has to put in a special kind of account to be used for their education (the parents can't just cash the cheque and buy beer.)
Old Jan 11th 2009, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Celtic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of light

There is more info on this here:

http://www.southnorthants.gov.uk/news_media/1008.htm

Would appear it is not a figment of my imagination.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like it reduces your income tax for that year.. rather than an actual cash payment, as it were. Says its not means tested.. however if you are a highr rate taxpayer it starts to decrease the amount you can claim.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambapink
It looks like it reduces your income tax for that year.. rather than an actual cash payment, as it were. .
Wonder how this works if you are now out of the country - but were entitled to it back in 2002/03 ? Will they pay you back a cash payment ?

I was emailed this info by a friend and a link a couple of weeks ago and will complete the form and see what happens !!

Edit - can I ring an 0845 number from here, by just putting all the usual UK stuff in front of it?!
Old Jan 11th 2009, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Look's like we'er out of luck, Son was born in March 02 but we had left the UK by June 02.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks we checked this and had already been paid.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck.
Celtic, did you get it? I'm calling tomorrow. Thanks for the info.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, so it's me again. I called the number and got a message saying that this was the wrong number published and to go to HMRC.gov and get the right number so I did that and I got this number: 0845 3003900
I got through and the lady I spoke to said she could not determine whether I was entitled or not and that I needed to fill out a claim form. For anyone needing to do this, you can go on the website HMRC.gov and download form: 11CTC.

I then asked her where I should send the form to and she said she didn't know. She told me to get it in before the 31st of January.
I asked should I send it to the tax office nearest where I lived in the UK or nearest where I worked in the UK and she said she didn't know. I kind of get the feeling that it is purposely being made as difficult as possible to claim this!!!
Still I will continue to look for the correct hoops to jump through and get the form filled out tonight and send it registered etc... to 'a tax office' - once I figure out which one.

Good luck all who are going after their share.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sod it I never get any of the rebates that are handed out.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
For anyone needing to do this, you can go on the website HMRC.gov and download form: 11CTC.

Still I will continue to look for the correct hoops to jump through and get the form filled out tonight and send it registered etc... to 'a tax office' - once I figure out which one.

Good luck all who are going after their share.
Your phone call has just confirmed what I feared, ie, lack of decent info anyway - so I printed out the form and posted it last week. The worst that can happen is they turn around and say we didn't qualify! Worth a stamp
Old Jan 20th 2009, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

graham barnett is a name known to allgraham barnett is a name known to allgraham barnett is a name known to allgraham barnett is a name known to allgraham barnett is a name known to allgraham barnett is a name known to allgraham barnett is a name known to allgraham barnett is a name known to allgraham barnett is a name known to allgraham barnett is a name known to allgraham barnett is a name known to all

Good luck.
I think you will need the luck if you think they are going to give you £500 per child when you come back from abroad, be careful everyone they might just want back what you have maybe still been claiming while you have been away? hmmmm
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

lounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to all

I successfully recieved my cheque with interest just before christmas for my son that was born in dec 2001.
I made sure i sent it recorded post, took about 3 weeks to be dealt with.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
Celtic, did you get it? I'm calling tomorrow. Thanks for the info.
I was paid it at the time but my brother wasn't, he lives in Canada now so they paid it into his UK bank account.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

OrkneytoPortugal has a spectacular aura aboutOrkneytoPortugal has a spectacular aura aboutOrkneytoPortugal has a spectacular aura about

I can't believe I haven't heard about this before - kept it well hidden have they?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.