Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The £/$ fall to 1.33 in the wake of the referendum.

The £/$ fall to 1.33 in the wake of the referendum.

Old Jun 27th 2016, 5:52 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The £/$ fall to 1.33 in the wake of the referendum.

I don't care about changing pounds/dollars. All I know is that my flaming UK pension will be reduced by X number of dollars. Maybe by December it will have done the vanishing act
Old Jun 27th 2016, 5:55 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
The markets have had a day or so to settle from the initial shock and things are not improving. How long will this shock last?
Do you really think that a day or two is going to settle the market. It has been bouncing around for weeks now, even before the vote. FFS

I doubt it will settle until such time as some leadership emerges from those in government and some idea starts to emerge as to where the country is heading.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well Merkel and the EU seem hell bent on taking a difficult situation and making it as bad as they possibly can. If they have the best interests of their own countries at heart, never mind the whole of Europe and the global economy, they really need to put their pride aside and make things as smooth as possible. Refusing to discuss anything at this point is just idiotic. .... What are they expecting - allow the global economy to go into a tailspin for three months until Cameron steps down and someone triggers Article 50?
There's a procedure for exit - that the UK agreed to, of course - that starts with Article 50 being invoked. Why would the EU negotiate with the UK on exit now, knowing that the UK could spin this out literally for ever?
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
I don't care about changing pounds/dollars. All I know is that my flaming UK pension will be reduced by X number of dollars. Maybe by December it will have done the vanishing act
That must hurt.

I am in the fortunate position that most of my assets are now in USD. I am probably about even after being hit with the 2009 issues.

But I was hoping that I would get some pension from the UK. With the decline in the markets and decline in currency, that may not be too much now. I just hope this turns around quickly (10 years).

I am a little concerned if things will tank more after article 50 is invoked , but I am hoping they will stabilize.
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Well Merkel and the EU seem hell bent on taking a difficult situation and making it as bad as they possibly can. If they have the best interests of their own countries at heart, never mind the whole of Europe and the global economy, they really need to put their pride aside and make things as smooth as possible. Refusing to discuss anything at this point is just idiotic. .... What are they expecting - allow the global economy to go into a tailspin for three months until Cameron steps down and someone triggers Article 50?
Why should Cameron get involved in anything to do with withdrawal negotiations and triggering Article 50 ?

Let the Brexit geniuses Boris and Nigel who dismissed Cameron's warnings step forward and take on the responsibility themselves.

Present situation hardly the fault of Merkel or the EU
Old Jun 27th 2016, 5:59 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I've recalculated my UK pension at $/£ parity and am budgeting accordingly. It will not surprise me if the rate doesn't reach that, or worse. In fact I have budgeted to allow me not to need to change pounds to dollars until this time in 2017.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 6:03 pm
Banned

That must hurt.

I am in the fortunate position that most of my assets are now in USD. I am probably about even after being hit with the 2009 issues.

But I was hoping that I would get some pension from the UK. With the decline in the markets and decline in currency, that may not be too much now. I just hope this turns around quickly (10 years).

I am a little concerned if things will tank more after article 50 is invoked , but I am hoping they will stabilize.
Fortunately I have a pension from Canada and the State of California plus Soc Security and my wife's pensions to rely on but the DOW has fallen again today which has negative affects my State pension fund also

Another worry is the affect of Brexit on the rest of the EU. If it triggers off a dissolution of the organization it will definitely have very serious consequences for the rest of the world

Last edited by dc koop; Jun 27th 2016 at 6:07 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I have money in the UK, plus I will be entitled to a UK state pension in less than 10 years. I think this situation may make it more likely that I buy a small property in the UK, particularly if prices fall in the wake of Brexit. Of course, the decline in the exchange rate makes property cheaper for foreigners so that may not happen, especially around London.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Another worry is the affect of Brexit on the rest of the EU. If it triggers off a dissolution of the organization it will definitely have very serious consequences for the rest of the world
Even if it doesn't cause dissolution, but people start getting concerned about the stability of Europe. It may cause companies to have second thoughts about investing in Europe. People may start fearing for their jobs if unemployment rises. This alone could stagnate the European economy, not that it's not already.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 6:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Why should Cameron get involved in anything to do with withdrawal negotiations and triggering Article 50 ?

Let the Brexit geniuses Boris and Nigel who dismissed Cameron's warnings step forward and take on the responsibility themselves.

Present situation hardly the fault of Merkel or the EU
Do you want to engage a debate of who caused the problem, and who is to blame, or recognize that there IS a problem and do something to fix it. At the moment the discussion about who caused the problem is something that we should leave to the historians, because how we got into this mess is largely irrelevant as to how we get out of it.

At this point in time things will get rapidly worse for EVERYONE until calmer minds prevale and leaders recognise that no matter how much we all might wish that different decisions had been taken, over many years, and that we would all be in a more comfortable position, that isn't where we are, we are in a crisis, and we need to swallow our pride and deal with the crisis rather than just pointing fingers of blame.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 6:14 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

$1.32 today I see.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Do you want to engage a debate of who caused the problem, and who is to blame, or recognize that there IS a problem and do something to fix it. At the moment the discussion about who caused the problem is something that we should leave to the historians, because how we got into this mess is largely irrelevant as to how we get out of it.

At this point in time things will get rapidly worse for EVERYONE until calmer minds prevale and leaders recognise that no matter how much we all might wish that different decisions had been taken, over many years, and that we would all be in a more comfortable position, that isn't where we are, we are in a crisis, and we need to swallow our pride and deal with the crisis rather than just pointing fingers of blame.
Maybe this is an economic war between Europe and Britain.

As Yes, minister stated.

“In that cause we have fought with the Dutch against the Spanish, with the Germans against the French, with the French and Italians against the Germans, and with the French against the Germans and Italians.

“Divide and rule, you see. Why should we change now, when it’s worked so well?”

Appleby continues: “We had to break the whole thing up, so we had to get inside.

“We tried to break it up from the outside, but that wouldn’t work. Now that we’re inside we can make a complete pig’s breakfast of the whole thing.”
Old Jun 27th 2016, 6:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe this is an economic war between Europe and Britain.

As Yes, minister stated.

“In that cause we have fought with the Dutch against the Spanish, with the Germans against the French, with the French and Italians against the Germans, and with the French against the Germans and Italians.

“Divide and rule, you see. Why should we change now, when it’s worked so well?”

Appleby continues: “We had to break the whole thing up, so we had to get inside.

“We tried to break it up from the outside, but that wouldn’t work. Now that we’re inside we can make a complete pig’s breakfast of the whole thing.”
How incredibly prescient!
Old Jun 27th 2016, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

The real reason why Brexit succeeded:

EU referendum: German and French to unveil European superstate blueprint post-Brexit | Politics | News | Daily Express
Old Jun 27th 2016, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Some of that is in the wake of Greece. Part of the problem was that there was no real way of controlling rogue States.

Sometimes you need control otherwise you end up with a situation like Detroit.

Democracy is difficult because you never know who may end up being in control. Sometimes good, sometimes bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.