Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The £/$ fall to 1.33 in the wake of the referendum.

The £/$ fall to 1.33 in the wake of the referendum.

Old Jun 30th 2016, 3:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The £/$ fall to 1.33 in the wake of the referendum.

Originally Posted by jeepster
Lower valued currency would be good in the long run for British economy. More tourism, more exports less imports. The British economy needs reform, this may be the catalyst. If managed properly there's no reason why Britain could not become another Switzerland which incidentally has the highest standard of living in Europe.
... and the strongest currency in Europe.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the UK was a net importer not exporter.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I thought the UK was a net importer not exporter.
and that's basically the problem.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 5:14 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

The British economy needs reform, this may be the catalyst.
Yeah, capital flight would be just awesome!

If managed properly there's no reason why Britain could not become another Switzerland
Er, you think that the Swiss franc got to the place that it is today by scaring the hell out of markets and having a government that delivers populist-fueled instability?
Old Jun 30th 2016, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Yeah, capital flight would be just awesome!

Er, you think that the Swiss franc got to the place that it is today by scaring the hell out of markets and having a government that delivers populist-fueled instability?
No, it got that way by holding referendums on all major issues and the political class respecting the vote. England could stand to use a lot more referendums.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 5:29 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

No, it got that way by holding referendums on all major issues and the political class respecting the vote. England could stand to use a lot more referendums.
If you want to run the UK into the ground, then that's a fantastic idea.

In any case, Brexit is probably not going to happen, so you'll have plenty to complain about.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 5:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

England?

If a Swiss-style referendum had been held on Brexit it would have failed as constitutional amendments in Switzerland require a double majority, namely of the popular vote and of the cantons. Given Scotland and Northern Ireland voted against and England and Wales for, there was no such majority of "cantons".
Old Jul 1st 2016, 12:44 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

As far as Switzerland goes, bear in mind they're in a real shambles at the moment with the EU because they voted in a referendum to leave Schengen which violates the agreements they have with the EU. The EU is insisting the Swiss reverse the referendum as it violates the freedom of movement obviously which is part of the EU Bill of Rights, codified in the Lisbon Treaty.

These are the reasons why the EU won't back down on freedom of movement when it comes to the UK. Legally they can't, and if they could it would undermine their position with the Swiss.

Anyway getting back to the exchange rate, you may think it suck but it's going to suck much harder a few months from now. Taxes will probably go up, which reduces the money supply, so the BoE will have to lower interest rates, if it doesn't have to do it anyway to shore up the economy. When that happens, Sterling will go down further.
Old Jul 1st 2016, 12:45 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
In any case, Brexit is probably not going to happen, so you'll have plenty to complain about.
It will happen, but it will effectively be in name only. The idea that there is going to be some seismic shift in the law is way overblown. It will end up being like Switzerland but with a bit more integration. I.e. Norway without membership of the EEA council.
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Someone pointed out that the market reaction to all this is just that, a reaction of shock at the decision. Whereas the market reaction to the recent housing crash was more to do with fundamental monetary issues. At this point there are no actual monetary issues, no mis-sold mortgages etc. So just fear and uncertainty of what is to come. As you say when art 50 is invoked there may be another reaction.
... And, probably, another reaction to modom Sturgeon as she pushes for yet another referendum on Scottish matters. The markets are going to have plenty of uncertainty for a good time yet when it comes to matters of investing in Sterling.

...and as to the matter of all those Polish bus drivers, would someone care to remind me where it was that the Saxons came from?
Old Jul 5th 2016, 3:30 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Some comments by the Governor of the BoE and the pound is at $1.3041 still heading south.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Some comments by the Governor of the BoE and the pound is at $1.3041 still heading south.
It fell below $1.30 today, $1.2998. that must be the lowest GBP->USD exchange rate in living memory. So I will have lived through one of the longest recessions and now the lowest GBP exchange rate. Maybe even the highest taxes back in the late 80's. It's quite surreal how different things can be through one's lifetime.

I was wrong in 1985 it got down to $1.054502 , I was surprised.

Last edited by mrken30; Jul 5th 2016 at 9:22 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2016, 1:21 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

It's going to keep going down. I won't be surprised when it hits $1.20 Huge capital flight going on. And also USD is seen as being a safe harbour.

But the talk about a recession was "project fear" and "absolute rubbish".
Old Jul 7th 2016, 2:23 pm
Banned

britmick has a reputation beyond reputebritmick has a reputation beyond reputebritmick has a reputation beyond reputebritmick has a reputation beyond reputebritmick has a reputation beyond reputebritmick has a reputation beyond reputebritmick has a reputation beyond reputebritmick has a reputation beyond reputebritmick has a reputation beyond reputebritmick has a reputation beyond reputebritmick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
It's going to keep going down. I won't be surprised when it hits $1.20 Huge capital flight going on. And also USD is seen as being a safe harbour.

But the talk about a recession was "project fear" and "absolute rubbish".
Hello & "mine's a pint" from a fellow Grumpy Northern Git!

What background proof do you have that the pound will fall even further Steve?

Does anyone know of a way to alley the impact on our UK future pensions until the quid stabilizes?

PS, l'm officially a pensioner next January, & because l'm a rich basterd!
(not really, but l have enough to tide me over) l'm strongly considering deferring my UK pension for 3yrs so it will yield a bigger monthly payment.
(I know if l die early l lose out, but l plan on getting into 3 figures like my Gran did!)
Old Jul 7th 2016, 3:47 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britmick
Hello & "mine's a pint" from a fellow Grumpy Northern Git!

What background proof do you have that the pound will fall even further Steve?

Does anyone know of a way to alley the impact on our UK future pensions until the quid stabilizes?

PS, l'm officially a pensioner next January, & because l'm a rich basterd!
(not really, but l have enough to tide me over) l'm strongly considering deferring my UK pension for 3yrs so it will yield a bigger monthly payment.
(I know if l die early l lose out, but l plan on getting into 3 figures like my Gran did!)
One way would be to get existing UK based pensions paid into a British, or pound sterling based, bank account until such time as the exchange rate stabilises. (Or until you are happier with the exchange rate.) Clearly this will only work for people who don't immediately need the income to live on.

I'm with you on the British state pension. I'm putting off claiming it, parly through procrastination and partly to get the higher payment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.