Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The £/$ fall to 1.33 in the wake of the referendum.

The £/$ fall to 1.33 in the wake of the referendum.

Old Sep 14th 2017, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The £/$ fall to 1.33 in the wake of the referendum.

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
£/$ now at 1.34
The 8% fall in the dollar this year has helped a bit. I am surprised commodities, such as oil, have not increased more.

Dollar's Fall from Grace Fuels Emerging-Markets Boom

It does mean that the US and UK administrations are devaluing their currencies at about the same rate.

Last edited by mrken30; Sep 14th 2017 at 8:00 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

00derek is an unknown quantity at this point

Getting close to selling my parents home in the UK. I'm not sure what to do about the proceeds. Looking for your experiences/advice.

1. If (big if) the pound gets back to $1.5 territory, I'm looking at a 15% return if I just leave the money in the bank.
1a. I'm non-resident for UK tax purposes. What does a windfall like selling a property do to that status?
2. Where else can I park ~$50k in the UK besides a current account to maximise returns while waiting to see what the currency rate does? I tried to get a loan recently from my UK bank, but they said I had to be "present in the UK" to apply. I wonder if that kind of rule will apply to investment accounts.

Many thanks
Old Nov 16th 2017, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I knew the answer. The exchange rate has not really moved for 18 months and the Brexit negotiations are not going that well IMO. However I think a hard Brexit may have already been factored into the exchange rate.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 00derek
I'm not sure what to do about the proceeds. Looking for your experiences/advice.
Invest in an S&P 500 Index ETF or Mutual fund.

Even if the pound goes up next year, odds favour the S&P500 Index going up more in value.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

tennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone have debt in pounds rather than assets? I pay my darn student loan in dollars. At 1.21 it wiped $7,000 off my debt in dollar terms.

On the flip side, my interest rate is tied to inflation. So the devaluation caused a slight uptick on my interest rate.

I have been paying the default rate and sometimes double the default rate for America to push through some hefty chunks. I could pay it off in one go but I'd be without a buffer for future uncertainty.

Is it worth my while sending some income back home to lock this in and then paying my debt in pounds if the rate goes back up towards 1.50?
Old Nov 17th 2017, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

tennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
The 8% fall in the dollar this year has helped a bit. I am surprised commodities, such as oil, have not increased more.
North Dakota and also Keystone. The next oil shock will be the one we can't get out of. 2008 they started tapping on the unconventional sources a lot more. Also in 2008 some oil stocks were manipulated perhaps to shore up the banking mess. So that oil shock could have in part anyway been a little artificial.

It started with the first £1 ltr ... I was in Britain at the time driving.

If we transition to electric we have a good chance of reeeeeealy pushing out the CO2 with Coal generation ... In America obviously.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Currently at its highest since Brexit.

Nudging $1.40.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 8:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
Currently at its highest since Brexit.

Nudging $1.40.
Sterling has already regained 2/3 of the drop from the pre-brexit-vote rate (against USD) to the post-brexit-vote low point, and sterling has been on a tear over the past week!
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

The promised doom and gloom and disaster from Remain ... just didn't hold up.

I can't pay my debt fast enough so my student loan payments are going back up due to the uptick.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Sterling has already regained 2/3 of the drop from the pre-brexit-vote rate (against USD) to the post-brexit-vote low point, and sterling has been on a tear over the past week!
Sterling has gained strength recently largely because of the perception that a "hard Brexit" is less likely.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Sterling has gained strength recently largely because of the perception that a "hard Brexit" is less likely.
and from a USD/GBP perspective it's good that the dollar has fallen a little.