Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The £/$ fall to 1.33 in the wake of the referendum.

The £/$ fall to 1.33 in the wake of the referendum.

Old Jun 25th 2016, 5:00 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The £/$ fall to 1.33 in the wake of the referendum.

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
It's a growing concern. My party, the Ulster Unionists were in support of remaining as well, it appears they may have been the only major unionist party that were, unless Alliance, who are still loosely unionist were for it.

Northern Ireland as a whole voted to remain as did Scotland. If Scotland does leave the UK, it does make one wonder what Northern Ireland's future is.

I don't know how the Common Travel Area will be affected, while it was between the UK and Ireland and nothing to do with the EU, this does now mean that the UK shares a land border with the EU and vice versa. Though perhaps the Irish government will not be so harsh on people coming down from NI, as it's always been, the UK may feel differently.

I really think this sets a strong precedent for the Republican movement to gain a lot more support, with some of that coming from the pro-EU 'small u' unionists, those who wanted to stay in the UK because of various benefits such as the NHS and EU money. While even I as a unionist am starting to care less about that aspect of it, the potential for civil war to kick off again has always been bubbling under the surface and this could be the tipping point.

Honestly, I can't really wait. I am not willing to reopen an UK bank account and put five figures in it thereby generating an offshore asset that will be a tax liability that simply owning a house would not. Also it's not fair on my sister, we both just want to be done with it. Beyond that, we kind of need the money, we have a mind boggling amount of credit card debt that this will eliminate completely.

This will be something that will be complete by August, my sister is talking about being able to wire me the money as soon as July. The pound is already back up at $1.37, I don't think it will drop much below $1.30 in that time, certainly not to parity, and even then we'd still be getting more than enough to clear our debts. I got a bit greedy and a bit over excited about getting a few grand to spend on some new toys. As it stands now that probably will still happen, I allowed myself to get overly salty about the whole thing.

It was a good idea and a valid point, but I have more pressing needs right now that this will take care of.
Maybe a blessed event. The north re-unites with the south and Protestants and Catholics learning to identify themselves as Irish first and foremost.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 5:03 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
You think he made a mistake? No he demonstrably made the biggest mistake in western political history since WW2.

History will record him as being a complete ****ing idiot. He could at least have hedged it a bit by saying he wanted to see 75% voter turnout before accepting the result or similar.

The only other person I can think of in the same league was Jim Prentice calling an early election in Alberta and losing in a titantic landslide after the Tories had been in power for more than 40 years. That took stupidity on an unprecedented level.
Bigger idiot was Labour Party Leader Jeremy Corbyn who did little or nothing to campaign for the Remain vote
Old Jun 25th 2016, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
You think he made a mistake? No he demonstrably made the biggest mistake in western political history since WW2.

History will record him as being a complete ****ing idiot. He could at least have hedged it a bit by saying he wanted to see 75% voter turnout before accepting the result or similar.

The only other person I can think of in the same league was Jim Prentice calling an early election in Alberta and losing in a titantic landslide after the Tories had been in power for more than 40 years. That took stupidity on an unprecedented level.
Cameron had to call the vote he was getting pressure from UKIP and other Tory party members; besides the business community may have wanted out as Britain can pursue its own trade agreements now without the EU.

As far as I can tell the EU has only benefited Germany, no one else.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 5:11 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Maybe a blessed event. The north re-unites with the south and Protestants and Catholics learning to identify themselves as Irish first and foremost.
That's not what I want, nor will it ever be as simple as that. Ireland would not reunite peacefully in a million years, nor would it really even be practical for the RoI anyway.

Maybe we could join with Scotland instead ...
Old Jun 25th 2016, 5:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

They did let all the IRA out of the H-Block and they have had enough time to regroup. The English may have forgotten, but I'm damn sure the Irish haven't. I certainly wouldn't want to be PM at the moment for many reasons.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 5:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepster
Cameron had to call the vote he was getting pressure from UKIP and other Tory party members; besides the business community may have wanted out as Britain can pursue its own trade agreements now without the EU.

As far as I can tell the EU has only benefited Germany, no one else.
What about Spain, Greece and Italy? Also I think the UK benefited during 2008 crisis by just having access to the EU funds. The UK took on a lot of debt and now Moodys have already downgraded the UK.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Bigger idiot was Labour Party Leader Jeremy Corbyn who did little or nothing to campaign for the Remain vote
Maybe yes maybe no. I think he misjudged the Leave mood as much as the Tories that much is true. I also think he thought "well let the Tories fight both sides and tear themselves apart in the process". Why get involved in something that was originally an internal Tory problem.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I just hope UKIP doesn't win more seats
Old Jun 25th 2016, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepster
He didn't have to promise a referendum. He could have stood up for what he believed in and pushed back against UKIP and the Tory rebels.

"David Cameron quits Downing Street with a ruined legacy"

The prime minister resigns: David Cameron quits Downing Street with a ruined legacy | The Economist

Business was largely against Brexit.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 5:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
He didn't have to promise a referendum. He could have stood up for what he believed in and pushed back against UKIP and the Tory rebels.

The prime minister resigns: David Cameron quits Downing Street with a ruined legacy | The Economist

Creates a mess then runs, leaving it for someone else to pick up the pieces.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 5:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I just hope UKIP doesn't win more seats
Depends when they hold the election. If they snap one right now, probably yes lots. Some time after actual exit and they might get put on a ship and sent back where they came from.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 11:09 am
Banned

themadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Creates a mess then runs, leaving it for someone else to pick up the pieces.
Or shows some dignity and does what any proper statesman worth their salt would do

Steptoe on the otherhand - still hanging on to his 130K a year salary as leader of her majesty's opposition
Old Jun 25th 2016, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That's not what I want, nor will it ever be as simple as that. Ireland would not reunite peacefully in a million years, nor would it really even be practical for the RoI anyway.

Maybe we could join with Scotland instead ...

It's not that simple - there would be bloodshed - the sides are so far apart and it isn't all about religion. The country should never have been divided, but you need to go back a few hundred years to when the English took over the country and then had the "plantations" in Northern Ireland to keep the country under English rule. A lot of mistakes were made over the years, and I don't think that a simple solution applies here.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 1:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Maybe yes maybe no. I think he misjudged the Leave mood as much as the Tories that much is true. I also think he thought "well let the Tories fight both sides and tear themselves apart in the process". Why get involved in something that was originally an internal Tory problem.
The Labour party leadership has been out of touch with their grass roots for a very long time if they genuinely believed it was only an internal Tory problem.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 1:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe

I liked Cameron, I really did, but he painted himself into a corner by promising the referendum at a time when I am certain he believed he would never be in a position to have to deliver on that promise. ..... Having called the referendum he then totally misread the public opinion on what the issues were, and why Brexit is appealing.

If he had kept the bankers and the economists off the stage, and told other countries' leaders, not least President Obama, to keep their blöödy oars out! then the outcome might well have been rather different.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 25th 2016 at 2:41 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.